Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night I foolishly left my key turned on. I returned to my bike (2015 CB300F) with a dead battery. When I bump started it it fired up but would not stay running. I then used a non-running car to jump start it. The bike fired up but when I disconnected the cables the bike would die a short while later.

I decided to try and keep the RPMs up hoping the stator would charge the bike faster. I got about a mile from my house and the bike stopped running. While riding the instrument panel kept cycling on and off.

I was under the impression that the stator should provide enough juice to recharge the battery or at the very least keep the bike running without a battery.

Do I have a bad stator?

·
Registered
487 Posts
FI needs a good battery to run, I'm guessing also the ECU/ECM. With the dead battery there is not enough voltage. Even with the motor running the voltage is not stable cause of the dead battery. Charge the battery, best to use a charger with a desulfate function, deep discharged battery will sulfate. Deep discharge battery will lose most of it's life, if a battery will last 5years then it would drop down to maybe a year....just depends on how bad. The stator will provide voltage but as you rev up and down the volts change and at idle rev the bike running will use more juice then the stator will provide. Once battery is fully charged let it sit over night and check the voltage, if 12.3 or less then the battery is done.

·
Registered
151 Posts
stator should run everything on its own without a battery. It should be able to once started, run all the electronics on the bike including headlights while at the same time charge the battery. It does sound like yours is faulty as once the bike is started the battery plays no part whatsoever in running anything on the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
Electrics is my weak point so I'm not going to offer any advice here. I too left my key on over nite once and after bump starting it down my mates driveway it ran perfectly well and continued to do so.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It might also have something to do with the starter relay recall. I had that exact issue and the stronger charged battery negated the problem. It had to sit on the charger for like 2 hours before the screen would even display properly. If the battery is dead it will suck up some of the alternator charge instead of passing it through to keep the bike running, when a battery is THAT dead anyways. Its not a dirtbike. I will again clarify that I had the exact same issue and it is solved without replacing battery. I agree it is not good to let a battery die completely, its terrible for its life, but you will likely still get a year or two out of it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The 300 uses an alternator. Alternators require current to create an electromagnetic field that is used to feed back to the battery.
Save yourself a hike and get a new battery. It's no coincidence that the battery was drained overnight and now you have electrical problems.

The only difference functionally (ignoring physical differences) between an altinator and a stator is that an altinator requires a jump from the battery before it starts working. Which means I should also point out that if you jump start the bike you need to ensure the altinator has kicked in before you disconnect the jump pack/ donor car.

Agreed on the battery. Any battery that has been run so flat it cannot even light up the dash should be replaced regardless if it comes good after a charge. It increases the chance of complete failure to the point where it is just not worth the risk. I am unsure of the effect on lithium batteries though as I have not had anything to do with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts