Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I left my key in the ignition in the on position 2 nights ago. Yesterday I went to take it out and noticed, it was obviously completely dead. I couldn't get it running with a bump start or jumper cables and a car. The battery has never been drained before, would it dying one time warrant needing a new battery? Any ideas on what else it could be? (First year riding so any help is much appreciated.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I left my key in the ignition in the on position 2 nights ago. Yesterday I went to take it out and noticed, it was obviously completely dead. I couldn't get it running with a bump start or jumper cables and a car. The battery has never been drained before, would it dying one time warrant needing a new battery? Any ideas on what else it could be? (First year riding so any help is much appreciated.)
You might need to take it to the auto parts store and they can put it on a deep cycle charger.

·
Super Moderator
5,677 Posts
Once fuel injection came along bump starting pretty much went out the window as the ECU requires a certain amount of stored charge to function. I did manage to do it once on my CBR300 by running it down a steep and long driveway. It only just got going though and run very poorly for a few minutes until the battery received enough charge. Towing the bike is another option if your desperate but this is tricky and potentially dangerous to do.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CB300FAH (ABS)
34 Posts
You probably have this sorted out by now. However, I'd recommend you buy a small smart battery charger / maintainer like the Battery Tender Jr. (the most popular brand in the U.S) which comes with a fused quick disconnect cable you can screw onto your battery and run / leave under the seat for easy future access. A smart charger (vs an old-style trickle charger) has a computer circuit inside that steps down the amperage to a very low maintenance level when the battery reaches full charge. Consequently, it won't damage the battery if you forget to pull it off. In theory you can leave it on indefinitely. They're most commonly used over the winter. The 750 or 800 milliamp Battery Tender Jr. is the smallest version they sell and is generally used for motorcycles, ride-on lawnmowers, generators, and the like (though one could use it for a car in storage). There's a light that starts out red / amber then changes to flashing green, then solid green when full charge is reached. In a complete discharge situation like yours, I'd connect the Battery Tender and let it charge overnight +. Because the Junior is so small, it might take a couple days to fully recharge a completely dead battery (assuming the battery hasn't been damaged), but it would be a safe charge. Regardless, it's a useful thing to own, particularly if you don't ride the bike for a month + over the winter.

Here's an Amazon link, though you may find one in stock for immediate pickup at Lowes, Walmart or Advance Auto. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09TPYHFG1/

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts