Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help would be amazing.
2020 CBR300R, 3k miles. Still under warranty, but would love to have some idea if its something I can fix.
On deceleration, especially noticeable when coming to a stop there is a crinkly sound, what I can only describe as icicles. When the bike is stopped, the noise is mostly stopped as well... sometimes it happens at a stop, but mostly deceleration.
When the bike is off, and I compress the suspension, no sound. I believe its only when the bike is on. Any suggestions at all would be amazing.
In the video, there are three clips, sorry for the rattle of the GoPro, but in the first clip you can hear it best... its the higher pitched rattle.
Thanks everyone!
Video:

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
That is an odd sound for sure, nothing springs to mind. Most unusual noises can be broken down onto two categories: Engine related and drive train related. You find out which by pulling the clutch in when coming to a stop and flicking the kill switch to shut the engine down. Do it with a bit of pace on (say 30 mph) so you have time to do a good evaluation before coming to a stop. If the noise continues when the engine is dead then it's a drive train issue.
If your noise is engine related it should increase when you rev the engine generally but you say you hear yours on deceleration. What happens when you rev the engine when the bike is stationary in neutral?

It's always hard diagnosing something off an internet sound bite but my gut feeling is its drive train or body work related.
I'm on a different time zone to yourself but I'll check for a reply tomorrow morn.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply... I'll play around a bit tonight (east coast USA time) and be able to let you know what I come up with based upon your suggestions.
I will also try to get a better video.
Really grateful for the speedy reply!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Any help would be amazing.
2020 CBR300R, 3k miles. Still under warranty, but would love to have some idea if its something I can fix.
On deceleration, especially noticeable when coming to a stop there is a crinkly sound, what I can only describe as icicles. When the bike is stopped, the noise is mostly stopped as well... sometimes it happens at a stop, but mostly deceleration.
When the bike is off, and I compress the suspension, no sound. I believe its only when the bike is on. Any suggestions at all would be amazing.
In the video, there are three clips, sorry for the rattle of the GoPro, but in the first clip you can hear it best... its the higher pitched rattle.
Thanks everyone!
Video:
Sounds to me like your chain is banging on the swing
arm

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Yeah I can hear it from about 0.21 onwards. I've got no idea what that is but it doesn't sound anything major. It's not constant and doesn't rise with revs so that's good.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yeah I can hear it from about 0.21 onwards. I've got no idea what that is but it doesn't sound anything major. It's not constant and doesn't rise with revs so that's good.
Well, that explains why my bike has so few gremlins these days.... I can't hear a thing in this video that sounds odd.
I'm sure it's there.. but I can't hear it. On the bright side... Old age and hearing loss has it's advantages. Since my spouse and I have tolerated each other for nearly 38 years, we've already heard everything the other has to say. So, a muffled back-ground noise is often more appealing than asking her to repeat what was just said. :sneaky:

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Well, that explains why my bike has so few gremlins these days.... I can't hear a thing in this video that sounds odd.
I'm sure it's there.. but I can't hear it. On the bright side... Old age and hearing loss has it's advantages. Since my spouse and I have tolerated each other for nearly 38 years, we've already heard everything the other has to say. So, a muffled back-ground noise is often more appealing than asking her to repeat what was just said. :sneaky:
Yeah well I thought I heard it but it might have just been in my head :giggle: .
That's great yourself and your wife have found your happy place communication wise. I just got the cat who keeps pretty quiet unless his stomach needs filling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts