Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 500 miles I had the proper maintenance done, so oil & filter were last changed then. Yesterday I checked the window after only a 1000 miles and there was no oil visible in the window! :eek: It has ridden fine with no other symptoms so I wasn't concerned about it seizing then & there so I turned it on for 4 minutes and let it rest for 2 minutes per instructions, then checked the window again while holding the bike vertical and still nothing visible. So I started adding oil from a new quart bottle and basically drained it to get it up to the top line.

I'm scheduling a visit with the shop, but wtf? I haven't noticed any bad exhaust while riding, there isn't a giant puddle where I park in the garage, the engine isn't covered in black gunk, my MPG's have remained unchanged over the 1500 mile life of the bike. :confused:

Anybody else experience this? I'm very concerned.

As an aside, I ride 100% in a city, with rare bursts up to 50mph, but mostly 30ish with frequent stop & go and my MPG averages 48-50mpg. I see on fuelly that others get around 65-70, but I'm assuming they do more highway. Anybody else do mostly city riding know their MPG?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Something may be leaking to lose that much oil. If it was being burned, you should see smoke and performance issues. Some of us have noticed the bike burns a little oil meaning you might want to top it off after a couple thousand miles as it gets closer to the lower line on the glass from the middle, but nothing like you have experienced. There have been some other reports of oil loss and one of those was a cracked block and another reported oil loss, then had his engine seize (Berk Engin) but apparently that wasn't related to low oil. If you only checked the oil at 1000 miles but not right after the oil change, it is possible the dealer screwed the oil change up too. Usually, my dealer puts slightly too much oil in the crankcase. If this is your first bike, are you sure you are checking the oil level correctly. You did turn off the engine to check the oil, right? The only other thing I can think of is it is hard to see new oil in the sight glass, but if you added nearly a quart to get to the top line, there was almost no oil in the crankcase. If you never figure it out, likely the dealer never put enough oil in there to begin with.

·
Registered
401 Posts
It takes more than 2-3 minutes to see the oil level after turning engine off, I check mine each night, I get home put bike on stand go inside remove bike gear go back out and roll bike into garage, I have a small piece of wood i put under side stand and this makes the bike level, I keep pressure on the bike so it doesn't fall over as I move round to lean down and check it.
500 miles since oil change and its fine, overall its more like 5 minutes till I actually check level from when I get off bike, I also check it cold every now and then.

Mark

·
Registered
487 Posts
I find freeway speeds, over the limit use more fuel then city. As for oil level are you sure that the oil was full to start, checked from level ground? Doesn't take much an incline to significantly change the reading. But yeah the bike does consume a little oil. Oil level went down a few millimeters after 3k miles.

At freeway speeds over the limit I get around 55mpg. Just cruising the back roads taking it easy I got over 70mpg.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just to check, as soon as I got my bike in the garage on a flat surface after riding hard for 26 miles so the oil would have been hot, I quickly checked the oil level...say 30 seconds after turning off the engine. The oil level wasn't much different than 5 minutes later or when the bike is completely cold. Oil temp and time after turning the engine off will make a little difference, but not that much. This issue cannot be explained by when he is checking the oil.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What is your method of tracking MPG?

I take trip miles odometer reading, and divide it by the number of gallons I fill the tank with. I consistently get 69-71, even with high revs

As far as the oil goes, have you checked to make sure all the bolts are tight? Is there evidence of leakage on the parking lot / driveway / garage floor?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What is your method of tracking MPG?

I take trip miles odometer reading, and divide it by the number of gallons I fill the tank with. I consistently get 69-71, even with high revs

As far as the oil goes, have you checked to make sure all the bolts are tight? Is there evidence of leakage on the parking lot / driveway / garage floor?
I use an app to track MPG's at each fill (Fuel logger++). There's no sign of any leaking in the garage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies, I'll post back after I get it checked out. Hopefully it is a case of it not being properly filled when I had it in for the first maintenance period.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I'll post back after I get it checked out. Hopefully it is a case of it not being properly filled when I had it in for the first maintenance period.
Yes.. please post back after you get things checked...
We all would like to find what caused this....:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
From all the symptoms and posts, and assuming the problem was discovered immediately after the service, this was the dealer's doing. I would let them know. Just a thought and not certain it applies to this bike but it happened to me with a Kawasaki 650. The oil was drained and a new screw-on filter installed. The mechanic put oil in until the level was correct. I actually watched this. I rode home and something bothered me. We had not checked the oil after running the engine - just after putting it in. Sure enough, no oil visible on the stick. Added almost another quart. I guess the filter and some passages needed the oil to pump before filling their volume + some other gremlin-fed difference (the shop floor was level and the bike was on its center stand and the same again at my house.). I could not believe it was that low and there was never any problem with oil loss afterwards either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From all the symptoms and posts, and assuming the problem was discovered immediately after the service, this was the dealer's doing. I would let them know. Just a thought and not certain it applies to this bike but it happened to me with a Kawasaki 650. The oil was drained and a new screw-on filter installed. The mechanic put oil in until the level was correct. I actually watched this. I rode home and something bothered me. We had not checked the oil after running the engine - just after putting it in. Sure enough, no oil visible on the stick. Added almost another quart. I guess the filter and some passages needed the oil to pump before filling their volume + some other gremlin-fed difference (the shop floor was level and the bike was on its center stand and the same again at my house.). I could not believe it was that low and there was never any problem with oil loss afterwards either.
I have a feeling that is probably what happened...

I took it to the shop a couple days ago, they checked it over, couldn't find anything immediately responsible, and replaced the oil & filter. They marked the actual fill line by the window so we can monitor it closely over the next couple months. When I got it home, the engine was nice and smokey from burning residual oil off of it. Suspicious, I put some newspaper down just in case. Next morning, there's about a tablespoon's worth on the paper. It was right under the chain by the kickstand so I figured they overlubed the chain. Last night when I got home I put newspaper down again, this morning there was about a 1/8 cup on the newspaper so I brought it back to the shop. They said the oil filter gasket had gone bad so the oil filter wasn't properly seated so that's on order.

I'll update if anything comes of the monitoring after everything is sealed up again, but yea, probably just a mistake somewhere along the way when the oil was changed 1000 miles ago.

·
Registered
49 Posts
" oil filter gasket had gone bad"... Really? You need to avoid the mechanic who worked on your bike. This is two for two. Do you have an alternate Honda service available? I would never bad-mouth what are true dedicated business people but they do make mistakes - not just in servicing but in hiring.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts