Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start...

Why would you want to retrofit? Performing a retrofit will help you see further and better at night. You can also add additional styling/attitude to your bike.

lolz whyd u spend 150 4 hids when u can gt doez 4 like 15 on ebay??? HID bulbs should never be used in reflectors, or for that matter anything that isn't designed to receive and properly distribute light from the arc created. Halogen bulbs have a filament which emits light very differently. Also there is a lot more light from a good HID bulb which the reflector isn't able to handle efficiently. All you're doing is making it harder for you to see and blinding anyone in front of you. That's not a good thing, even on a motorcycle. A good headlight efficiently reflects its light source into a well distributed pattern to provide maximum visibility ahead. Adding a HID bulb will throw light all directions, and even though it looks brighter, you will probably have a hard time seeing further away. This might help you understand how a headlight works and why it doesn't work as well if you switch to a different bulb:

After completing a successful retrofit on my daily driver, the first thing I though about upgrading on my CB300F were the headlights. Although the single headlight does its job OK, I realized a retrofit would really benefit the bike. It was also an ideal time to do so because I had put my bike away at a friends house for the season. Before winterizing it I removed the headlight and brought it back home. It's very easy to remove the headlight and is covered in the owners manual.

First step was to figure out how much room I had in the housing, specifically depth. I tried to get a measurement with my calipers but it's somewhat inconclusive due to the slanting nature of the front lens. After some research, I realized that the best projector for the job (and my plug-and-play ambitions) would be the Mini D2S 3.0. The Retrofit Source has a "kit" where you can purchase a "Stage 1 Single Motorcycle Retrofit Kit."

Bi-xenon: Sportbike Stage I Kit

I purchased the LHD (USA), XB35 ballast, D2S XB35 5500K, Gatling Gun 2.0 shrouds (claimed to fit), H4 harness, 90mm Amber XB LED Halo (vent) and I already had the butyl sealant from another job. It ran me $185 -15% ToyotaNation promo code to $157.25.

Before:

After:

New projector and low exposure output:

Before I started I took note of where the cutoff was and the center of the output. That way when I finish the retrofit I can adjust properly so I'll be ready to go without much aim adjustment.

One great thing about the kit is that it comes with a H4 headlight adapter to auto level the headlight beam. However, after ordering I realized that my headlight didn't have a straight forward H4 bulb insert. This sometimes happens with intl headlights.

This meant I had to shave down the stub on the H4 adapter bracket The stub was aligned up top to auto level the projector. If I used this, the cutoff would have been 7-8 degrees slanted to the right. I read that the bracket is used as a washer of sorts and it should still be used, even if you have to grind the alignment nub down. This means that you won't be able to go back to the stock halogen bulb.

Before:

After:

To open the headlight, I placed it into the oven for about 10 minutes at 250F, pushed back the tabs and lightly pried the top with a flat head screw driver until the lens started to pull off. I used utility gloves so I could handle the hot headlight. It came apart really easily.The next observation was that the back of the projector wouldn't fit far enough though the back of the reflector for me to get the lock nut and bulb securely in. I went ahead and dremeled it down with a flat cutting blade so there would be just enough room for the H4 adapter bracket to sit in place.

I decided I wanted to paint the reflector black. I used oven cleaner on the reflector which melts the reflective coating off. I used a black matte paint, multiple coats, then a matte clear coat to help protect it from the heat.

Next I tried test fitting the Gatling Gun 2.0 shroud onto the headlight. It wouldn't click or lock in place!! I ended up dremeling the shroud it down but I still couldn't get it to fit! The 90mm amber halos also didn't fit in the vents. I believe I may have got a bad should somehow because I called TRS and they said they've done a lot of Mini D2S 3.0 retros with that shroud. I went ahead and ordered a Apollo 2.0 flat shroud (call only) and some limited edition blue XB LED 110mm halos for the vent. These snapped right on and the halos fit. Remember you have to dremel/belt sand the shrouds to get a good fit in the reflector. I didn't do a great job, but more on that later. Here are some output shots of the should with halos attached and on.

Gatling gun:

Apollo with halos:

Time to retrofit!

I tried to use the rubber grommet between the projector and the reflector but I couldn't get enough threads to stick out with that on. I went ahead and set that aside, as many others in HIDPlanet don't recommend it. Run the bi-xenon solenoid wire through the very convenient hole Honda left us on the reflector then though the back of the headlight. Place the projector in and tighten the lock nut down 80% and with the projector turned on facing straight at a wall attempt to level the beam. It's good to have a point of reference and a measuring tape to help fine tune the aim. This is the most difficult part of the retrofit. Take your time! Keep tightening the locking nut, I used a pair of locking pliers to grip onto the nut. Once you get it tight enough the projector won't rotate anymore and you can really tighten it down, as tight as you can. I then put JB Weld on the nut so it won't come loose. Make sure you tighten down the bulb retainer too. This helps hold the nut in place.

Be sure to check the rough alignment compared to your marks. I had to raise the reflector (detailed in the manual).

I added some butyl to ensure a good seal, placed the lens back onto the headlight and placed it back into the oven.

Finally it's time to reuse that nice rubber grommet to seal the headlight. I had to cut around the center and add a slit for the solenoid wire and my halos. Try to just cut enough so you have a semi tight fit around the bulb retaining cap. Seal the slit and the area around the retaining cap with GE Silicone II.

Here is the final product.

Note how I have the bands of light to the left/right. That's due to the shroud not covering up all the light from the sides of the projector. When I started the retrofit, I was concerned about cornering since the stock headlight had the side bands of light which looked intentional. After remember this, I decided to not do anything about this light. If you want the light, cut your shrouds short. The only steps left is to attach this to the bike, which I'll be doing in a few weeks. Hopefully finding a place for the ballast and the harness won't be too difficult.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the blue halo on. I might attach it to a switch. If anyone want's a 110mm blue halo let me know, I have an extra.

If anyone is interested is having this done for them, feel free to PM me!

·
Premium Member
5,529 Posts
Interesting up grade and very detailed write up. Will be interesting to hear how it goes on the road.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks great and it was nice of you to take the time to do this long write up. The light quality is definitely improved quite a bit. I like the orange and blue color combination in the finished product.

If anyone wants to do the retrofit with the blue LED let me know. I have one left. They were limited items from TRS.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally got a chance to install it on the bike today. Wiring was tight and I'll need to clean it up. I ended up placing the ballast behind the headlight but it's not bolted on. It's not going anywhere though.

I think it really gives the bike a more aggressive appearance. It also literally turns night into day. The projector throws WAY more light down the road than standard H4. If you ride at night I'd consider this a must have upgrade. High beam also works well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I've been riding around at night with my retrofitted headlight and... it's amazing!

I can see much better, and I believe other drivers can see me better as well, especially when their under the cutoff! Very bright and a beautiful blue cutoff. Normal headlights help you see what's in front of you, a projector gives you the ability to see whats around you. This is especially helpful for a cyclist at night.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been trying to find some Halo lights for my 300r but I can't find anything online... does anyone have any tips on what kit I could buy that would fit or something? BKmoto emailed saying they'd have it but that was months ago...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been trying to find some Halo lights for my 300r but I can't find anything online... does anyone have any tips on what kit I could buy that would fit or something? BKmoto emailed saying they'd have it but that was months ago...
Are you trying to put a projector in then halos on top of it? Try The Retrofit Source.

·
Registered
10 Posts
how difficult was the wiring.. ive run into a few problems trying to do the wiring.. I have LED cables, and projector cables without connections.. and I have two connections for the the bulbs prior and only the single connector coming out of the harness.. Im pretty lost. i think i need more connection cables?

·
Registered
10 Posts
how difficult was the wiring.. ive run into a few problems trying to do the wiring.. I have LED cables, and projector cables without connections.. and I have two connections for the the bulbs prior and only the single connector coming out of the harness.. Im pretty lost. i think i need more connection cables?

well I took care of it.. took my time wiring and it all worked out.. here's the pics

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts