Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My chain suddenly has gone very tight in one area. I currently have about 17500km on it and it is regularly cleaned and lubed. I have had to adjust it over the years and there always was the one area where it was a tiny bit tighter but now the difference is big. The chain looks good in a sense that there is no rust or kinks etc. I check the alignment and it looks to be ok.
So is it time to change the chain and sprockets?

I could adjust the slack since I still have room for adjustment but I have a feeling it will be very loose in some areas then?
I'm curious and also grateful for any input anyone has.
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Gabriel, if it has gone tight then the internal pins have lost their lubrication and as they are on the other side of the O rings then there's not much you can do about that as lubing the outside of the chain wont get in there obviously. This does sound a little early but I generally find I need to replace my chain and sprockets around the 20,000km mark so it's probably time to do yours, and the sprockets of course.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Kiwi. Your advise is much appreciated.

I guess it's, time to order a new chain and sprocket set. Now the big question do I change to a 15T front or keep it stock. I know a lot of love here for the 15T, my hesitation has been I'm worried how much acceleration I'll loose? Reducing vibrations is a plus and better speedo accuracy all speak for 15T. I ride 2-up regularly and with hills and such I'm hesitating the change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts