Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey folks, newb here-first post! I'm sure my question has been asked before but I couldn't really find what I was looking for so point me to the right direction if there is another thread/website on this.

So I cheaped out a little and bought a Bilt Force helmet from Cyclegear when I got my CB300F. The price was right for me, it looked nice and had all the features I was looking for (especially an internal sun visor). It was even ECE rated which I wasn't expecting from a $100 helmet.

Anyways, I'm a bit torn on replacing this helmet with another "higher quality" brand because I really do like it and it fits well but everyone keeps telling me to get a Shoei, Arai, etc. My question is, if all these helmets have the same safety ratings, what difference does the brand make? All I am really looking for is something that will protect me if I ever go down.

The way I look at it is that I bought a cheap Hyundai (i.e. Bilt) whereas a Shoei is probably more like a Mercedes. At the end of the day, both vehicles should keep you equally safe in a crash due to government regulations. The only difference I see is that a Mercedes will probably offer you more comfort, style, brand name recognition, etc. A Bilt and Shoei shouldn't be that much different in the same respect, right?:confused:
You can get $700 Arai helmets for $70, if you buy used.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Old graphics Shoei RF1200s are often marked down half off new -- that's how I picked up mine.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts