Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was out riding and when I hit a stoplight the lady behind me honked and rolled down her window. She told me my license plate was falling off!

I looked behind and sure enough my plate was at a 90 degree angle pointing down with just one black screw. At the next light I jumped off the bike and tightened down my last screw which was also very loose. Then the guy in the pickup tuck next to me said "Hey, have a zip tie!" while extending his hand with a zip tie in it! I put it on and went on my way.

Honestly Honda should just sell the bike with zip ties for the plate. It will outlast that screw for quite a while. Also note at the beginning of the riding season I tightened both screws down but I never thought to do it since!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Just went to check mine out to see if mine was coming loose... Thankfully, still on pretty tight and secure.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I guess the result of a little thumper...thumping along causing vibration. Zip tie might be a good idea until some joker comes along with a sharp knife.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess the result of a little thumper...thumping along causing vibration. Zip tie might be a good idea until some joker comes along with a sharp knife.
The screws they put in mine are just black turn screws, anyone could remove my plate with two fingers. Do you have a different securing feature? Maybe it's dealer specific?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have one in each corner (4) with butterfly bolts on the back that secure each corner. Looks kind of nerdy from the license plate side, but I don't see mine going anywhere... See attached pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Now that's one "HANDY" post! (sorry couldn't resist!)...

Reactions: Fanatic

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah, I replaced those cheap plastic bits with real nuts and bolts as soon as I got the bike home from the dealer...

On a side note, my personal opinion is that zip ties have surpassed duct tape and WD40 as the most useful "do it all" tool for the home and garage.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Regular cable ties (or 'zip' ties) will become brittle over time from UV exposure. The more expensive nylon cable ties will hold up to UV, but there is no getting around the fact that cable ties holding a license plate to a bike just looks cheesy.

Those little red reflectors with the wing nuts on the backside are an invitation to thieves wanting a plate with a current reg. sticker on it... no tools required.

Screws and regular nuts with blue Loctite works.

I just use philips head screws and nyloc nuts for my license plates... problem solved.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Don't forget the power of a drop or two of Locktite on those nuts & bolts.
I was about to mention that, I almost always keep a tube of it around for my cars, home and the bike. Useful to have and you only need so little, which goes a long way.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I took my plate off and screwed it to the back of my helmet!

Lol jk, just checked mine and they're tight....for now

·
Registered
2 Posts
IS there anyway to attach the license plate with out having to buy a extra attachment?
Just got mine used with no manual.
I am sorry if I should know how to do this but I can not screw it in with the wing nuts.

Please any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
IS there anyway to attach the license plate with out having to buy a extra attachment?
Just got mine used with no manual.
I am sorry if I should know how to do this but I can not screw it in with the wing nuts.

Please any help would be great.
Post up a photo or two of what your looking at.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts