Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a dual USB charger to fit my CBR300R and use for a sat nav/mobile (cell). has anyone brought one? The problem I have found is there is not enough space on the handlebars.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I made a bit of a usb setup for my CBR300r. It mounts just in front of the ignition barrel. Also, after careful consideration, I decided to tap into the power for the running light under the seat, which triggers a relay and switches battery power via a fuse to the usb outlets. If your interested in making this setup I can do a bit of a guide or how to, I'd just have to do up a bit of a wiring diagram which means reverse engineering my wiring. Here are some pics below of my setup. I use it for gps power and to charge my phone.

You can see I've used stick on Velcro to position the outlet in place.

Underneath the seat now, you can see the red and black wires running along the right side of the frame coming from the outlet up front. The black thing with all the wires coming out on the bottom right is the relay. You can also see some wires tapping from the battery.

Now under the pillion seat, you can see green and brown wires, the green is an earth attached to a bolt on the frame, the brown runs to the running light on the rear.

Closeup of taillight connection, the brown wire connects to the brown taillight wire (made accessible due to a connection with my tail tidy, not sure if it's like that stock.

I wouldn't recommend doing it this way unless you have some experience with wiring and also have access to a multimeter to confirm dc voltages and earths, and just generally not blow up your bike wiring.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made a bit of a usb setup for my CBR300r. It mounts just in front of the ignition barrel. Also, after careful consideration, I decided to tap into the power for the running light under the seat, which triggers a relay and switches battery power via a fuse to the usb outlets. If your interested in making this setup I can do a bit of a guide or how to, I'd just have to do up a bit of a wiring diagram which means reverse engineering my wiring. Here are some pics below of my setup. I use it for gps power and to charge my phone.

You can see I've used stick on Velcro to position the outlet in place.

Underneath the seat now, you can see the red and black wires running along the right side of the frame coming from the outlet up front. The black thing with all the wires coming out on the bottom right is the relay. You can also see some wires tapping from the battery.

Now under the pillion seat, you can see green and brown wires, the green is an earth attached to a bolt on the frame, the brown runs to the running light on the rear.

Closeup of taillight connection, the brown wire connects to the brown taillight wire (made accessible due to a connection with my tail tidy, not sure if it's like that stock.

I wouldn't recommend doing it this way unless you have some experience with wiring and also have access to a multimeter to confirm dc voltages and earths, and just generally not blow up your bike wiring.
Thanks for the info Dime, yes I am fine with wiring as have rewired plenty of stuff on my previous bikes. Did you have to make the bracket to fit under the ignition barrel? I think I would wire direct to the battery with an inline fuse.
Again thanks for the info, picks and help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No bracket actually, just some 3m Velcro strips attaching the usb outlet to the ignition barrel, although I did use some Zip ties previously. I didn't want to modify anything which couldn't be unmodified, so when it comes time to sell I can return it to stock if necessary.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No bracket actually, just some 3m Velcro strips attaching the usb outlet to the ignition barrel, although I did use some Zip ties previously. I didn't want to modify anything which couldn't be unmodified, so when it comes time to sell I can return it to stock if necessary.
Thanks for the info Dime, a good place to mount the usb unit. Think I will get one that fits handlebars and mod the bracket to fit with rubber protection where it fits around the ignition barrel.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great write up, is the usb just a generic item from any decent electronic shop?
Yes Treve82, got all items from an electronics supplier in Aus called Jaycar, if your interested in having the power come on with the ignition and not running the risk of draining the battery it's worth going the relay setup, that's why I did it that way. The usb is a pretty standard dual usb outlet, can be found online or at electronics stores. The relay information is displayed in the picture, also you need a mini blade fuse connection, to save your electronics from being fried, just in case.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For anyone interested, I made a basic wiring diagram of the circuit to supply power to a USB socket or any other 12v socket.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For anyone interested, I made a basic wiring diagram of the circuit to supply power to a USB socket or any other 12v socket.

Nice clear drawing Dime, think I will put a waterproof inline on-off switch & fuse between the battery and the usb unit, so won't drain the battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice clear drawing Dime, think I will put a waterproof inline on-off switch & fuse between the battery and the usb unit, so won't drain the battery.
Good idea dsimmo, a switch will do the job for sure.

·
Registered
151 Posts
wouldnt that dim or turn off the tail light having it go through the realay and earth before the light, im just looking at path of least ressistance here?

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wouldnt that dim or turn off the tail light having it go through the realay and earth before the light, im just looking at path of least ressistance here?
Youda: It was Dime who did the wiring and pics etc.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Here's a simple, low cost solution: Power Up Charger

I just carry the Apex Power Bank and my phone (both fully charged) in the tail bag.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wondered that, but it didn't, I figure the coil in the relay uses next to no power.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a simple, low cost solution: Power Up Charger

I just carry the Apex Power Bank and my phone (both fully charged) in the tail bag.
Mike: I want to use a sat nav as my mobile (cell) Samsung S4 keeps it's charge for 2 days. Hence the fitting of a usb port on the bike.
The reason for two ports is if I decide to go touring on the bike I can then charge the phone without taking loads of power adaptors etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have a waterproof 12 cig outlet in my front fairing, ran to my taillight fuse, but without thinking i realized while riding my handlebars hit the adapter when i plug it in..

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
i have a waterproof 12 cig outlet in my front fairing, ran to my taillight fuse, but without thinking i realized while riding my handlebars hit the adapter when i plug it in..
Ooops :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts