Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some clutch and brake levers that I bought from eBay. they fit nicely and they function like they should, but I'm wondering about the free play in the throttle lever, I did the adjustments as instructed in the manual, but I can't seem to get the free play that's recommended. the lower adjustment screw thing is basically bottomed out (the lock nut is flush with the last thread), but I still have to adjust the upper fairly far before I have no "creep"(I'm assuming creep is where the rear wheel turns when in gear with no throttle, while the lever is held down)

is there a simple way of fixing this? can you tell me of the pros/cons of having no free play?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got my shorty's off ebay as well. There's a bit more play than I'd like but now I'm used to them. The only problem I had was that shifting down became very hard. I basically had to kick the shifter lever down so hard and I could hear it thumping. When I took my bike in for its break in period maintenance I mentioned it and they adjust something with my clutch cable. Not positive what they did but now it's fine.
Also I had "lost" my neutral. Couldn't get it in neutral while the bike was running. When the key was on but bike not started then I could put it in neutral. It was very weird but the adjustment they made also fixed that.

I guess what I'm saying is take it in, it's not worth damaging your bike over!

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
If you have too much free play at the lever, the clutch friction plates won't disengage when you pull the lever to the the grip, which then makes it difficult to shift gears. And yes, you would have some 'creeping' at the rear wheel when in gear with the lever pulled to the grip.

The opposite problem occurs when you don't have enough free play at the clutch lever when in it's fully released position. This lack of adequate free play will allow the friction plates to slip, which will eventually burn the friction plates.

Here's a thread on how to adjust your clutch lever free play: http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/how-forum/3305-how-clutch-cable-free-play-adjustment.html

Reactions: Ifeanyi300F

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
If you have too much free play at the lever, the clutch friction plates won't disengage when you pull the lever to the the grip, which then makes it difficult to shift gears. And yes, you would have some 'creeping' at the rear wheel when in gear with the lever pulled to the grip.

The opposite problem occurs when you don't have enough free play at the clutch lever when in it's fully released position. This lack of adequate free play will allow the friction plates to slip, which will eventually burn the friction plates.

Here's a thread on how to adjust your clutch lever free play: http://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/howd-forum/3305-how-clutch-cable-free-play-adjustment.html
I just got some shorty's today and form some reason it's a little stiff/tight right where the lever would meet the perch like in your tutorial. So when I pull the lever to the grip and let go it springs back but not all the way, it actually leaves about that 5 inches of free play you suggest. It shifts and rides fine. If I am at a dead stop, clutch in, in 1st, using no throttle just trying to find the friction zone. I only have to let the lever go about 1 maybe 2mm before it starts to pull. Is that not enough free play? I also have the lever on setting 6 which is the highest, or the most lever travel. I've checked n checked n dunno why the lever doesn't snap right back fully, but at least it doesn't rattle like the original

1 - 4 of 4 Posts