Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has ever re-flashed their ECU's? Either on a different bike or your 300r/250r(if available?) I've been reading up on it and although you wont have the availability to adjust things on the fly by using a Power Commander but it seems to be much cheaper and I also read more stable n ready to go. Any thoughts or experience?

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
I know this is popular with cars but I wonder if there is the same gains to be made with our 286cc motor?
Worth looking into though.
Because you are not actually buying any physical hardware you would expect it to be a cheaper option?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know this is popular with cars but I wonder if there is the same gains to be made with our 286cc motor?
Worth looking into though.
Because you are not actually buying any physical hardware you would expect it to be a cheaper option?
it's about $150ish here. not much hp gains as much as smoother throttle and fuel mixture

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I've had an ECU reflash on a couple of my prior cars. With anything you do, there are always compromises somewhere along the line. I personally wouldn't touch the ECU, but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Imagine doing a tune for someone else's bike based on what they tell you in regards to mods/weather/fuel type. you would play it well safe to avoid the chance of damaging their bike. Usually they make up generic chips in larger numbers to keep the cost down. (This is assuming the ecu has to be epromed I don't know if a cbr300 ecu can just be reflashed). A good flash tune has to be done on a dyno and would cost more than $150. If it is not done on a dyno any gains would be minimal.
I am just guessing here as I am not sure how flexible the stock ecu is.

Reactions: Treve82

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like I said I was just looking for opinions and experiences. I read up on it alot and it seemed to me better than piggybacking chips and using simulated sensors to achieve the same results. I'm really just looking for a way to increase my fuel mixture. So I talked to my Honda tech yesterday and he said he'd do it if I buy him lunch. Just adjust the fuel/air ratio and he said I can come back if it needs more adjustments.
btw one of the places I found that does the ECU re-flash said if for some reason I didn't like the re-flash they would just flash it back to stock, free of charge. You mail it in they work on it for a couple hours and then send it back 2 day mail. So you're only without it for about 4 days. There also is a huge list of things they can alter at least triple what a PC or Bazzaz can do. But also more to mess up lol.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
If the bike is working well..and will pick up the front wheel (slightly) shifting into 2nd gear....why do you want re-flash the ECU? Is there alot of popping on deceleration or shift changes? Just wondering....

·
Registered
353 Posts
In my experience (turbo cars) mail order tunes are recipe for disaster. Custom tune on a dyno only for me.

however, if your local Honda tech can/will play with fuel maps then why not.

personally I think there will be no gains on a stock bike but I'd love to have it checked over if I ever go a de cat exhaust. Picked up 100hp at 3000rpm on the car with the cat out for race mode, after a retune on the dyno and then road tests.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the bike is working well..and will pick up the front wheel (slightly) shifting into 2nd gear....why do you want re-flash the ECU? Is there alot of popping on deceleration or shift changes? Just wondering....
not bad popping, like misfires or backfiring. Just once the revs get really low like coming to a stop while engine breaking I get that nice grumble light popping noise..but it's the 'good' noise. You know? lol

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In my experience (turbo cars) mail order tunes are recipe for disaster. Custom tune on a dyno only for me.

however, if your local Honda tech can/will play with fuel maps then why not.

personally I think there will be no gains on a stock bike but I'd love to have it checked over if I ever go a de cat exhaust. Picked up 100hp at 3000rpm on the car with the cat out for race mode, after a retune on the dyno and then road tests.
I have a K&N air filter and totally open exhaust pipes as far as air flow goes. Then about $1000 of other mods to the bike. I am not looking for HP increase at all. Any a/f tune would possibly give me .05 HP gains lol. Just looking at different cheap ways of correcting the a/f ratio because of the airflow. Not a necessity at all but I am friendly with my Honda Tech, it's a small town dealership and I went to college with my salesman whose family owns it. He said he would adjust it if I bought him lunch, but I'm in no rush. Also its been kinda cold here for Florida and would rather not get it done now and then the summer comes with 95+ degree heat and extreme humidity.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
So a ECU re-flash is not a necessity....just something that you would like to try out to see if it makes a difference. Now I get it thanks..:)

Reactions: mikal

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Unless the firm in question has developed a new program for the CBR3 using a dyno and all the usual measurements, they can't possibly get it right. Then there is the fact that your bike has a K&N etc, making it virtually impossible for them to produce a good program that works on your bike, in my opinion.

Now, if there is a local guy who could develop a new program specifically for your bike, on the dyno, that would be interesting, though as has already been said, I wouldn't expect big gains on a single-cylinder, normally-aspirated engine. I don't personally have any issues with the power or torque delivery on the 300 and can't say I've detecting a rough spots. My bike is 100% factory though.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Unless the firm in question has developed a new program for the CBR3 using a dyno and all the usual measurements, they can't possibly get it right. Then there is the fact that your bike has a K&N etc, making it virtually impossible for them to produce a good program that works on your bike, in my opinion.

Now, if there is a local guy who could develop a new program specifically for your bike, on the dyno, that would be interesting, though as has already been said, I wouldn't expect big gains on a single-cylinder, normally-aspirated engine. I don't personally have any issues with the power or torque delivery on the 300 and can't say I've detecting a rough spots. My bike is 100% factory though.
The place that does the ECU re-flash doesn't just make it up. They will only flash if they have the correct settings and bike. They do have a 300r with a K&N(which is probably the #1 performance AF everyone gets) and as for the exhaust they don't have it for my specific system, they have it for a MGP growler. The growler is a totally open system the same as mine. So I would feel comfortable getting the re-flash for a cbr300r/K&N/MGP vs my cbr300r/k&N/danmoto. But like I said I am only researching options. Looking into things asking questions and learning. The company also takes into account where you live and request your sea level. They promise a 2 day turn around after they receive it and if i'm not happy with they results they would flash it back to stock for free. The cost is $150+shipping both ways. But like I said I think I'll just go with my dealer for the price of lunch. It's just that Florida weather changes so drastically twice a year I don't think it's even worth it. If he alters it now I will probably have to get it altered again in 4ish months. So I think I'll just leave it as is. I am extremely happy with the performance as it is and has a very noticeable increase in power from 5k to 9500 rpms than it was stock. I'm just obsessed with mods and customizing.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Did you get or even try your removable baffle yet?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has ever re-flashed their ECU's? Either on a different bike or your 300r/250r(if available?) I've been reading up on it and although you wont have the availability to adjust things on the fly by using a Power Commander but it seems to be much cheaper and I also read more stable n ready to go. Any thoughts or experience?
Is anyone still interested in flashing their ECU? I might be able to help you all out. I recently learned how to log live engine data and read/write to Honda ECUs via the DLC connector under your seat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts