Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought the bike for my daughter and have installed frame, handlebar and front axle sliders, but the brake and gear levers are still totally vulnerable.

I would really like some sort of low mounted crash bars or a wrap around skid plate, but there are no frame rails under the engine! Does anyone have any ideas? Where would you mount a custom guard?

How about installing folding levers? That might help a little. Are there any direct replacement folders?

Or solid (non-folding) foot pegs?

I know she is going to dump the bike soon, she wants to ride easy gravel and dirt roads. .... I really want to protect the shifter and brake.....

Thanks for any comments. And please don't tell me to trade it in on a dual sport. She really likes this bike.

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
419 Posts
My wife is learning to ride on one of these. I suggest the Shogun frame sliders for the engine protection, should be all you need. As for the handlebars and levers, if she dumps the bike not much will happen to those. I replaced my wife's with some ebay adjustable levers but they are not dirtbike style that flip back. She has laid her bike down once and the sliders was really all that was needed. The bar ends that come factory are super cheap and easy to replace and will likely prevent the levers from touching down in most situations. The stock pegs (which I HATE with the thick rubber on them) will help keep part of the bike off the road as well. If you really care enough you could put on spool sliders too but they aren't going to prevent much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here's an update from my original post. I never did find a way to mount any engine guards. After my daughter wrecked her bike in mid-summer, I can make some constructive comments.

She was driving into a local nature preserve with CCC built roads (from the 1930s, narrow, twisty, rock walls) and overcooked a decreasing radius, downhill, blind right turn. I call that kind of turn an @ss Pucker Turn, and after five decades of riding they still worry me..... She sideswiped a Hyundai with her left side and and the left side of the bike, and slid on that side for 75 yards after separating from the bike. Speed was about 45-50 mph combined. She was wearing full gear including pads and suffered only a tweaked left knee and minimal abrasions. She was VERY lucky. A head on would probably have seriously maimed her.

The Hyundai suffered $6000 worth of damage. See pics.

The bike had about $300 worth of damage not counting plastic. The sliders saved the frame and engine, but not the left foot peg mount or shifter. The handlebar was bent up 20 degrees, the left mirror, lever and turn signal were damaged. The bike was very much rideable! The forks were straight, the engine started right up, the shifter shifted.... But I chose to drag it home on my trailer. If I had been riding then I personally could have ridden home on it..... What a tough little bike.

Front sliders: DIMOTIV from China, pure unadulterated garbage, eye candy only. Held on with teeny 6mm bolts to a grossly undersized replacement axle. Expensive bling. The one side that hit the car and ground popped off and was never located. I threw this stuff into the trash. .... Amazon.com: Dimotiv DMV Front Axle Slider-3D for Honda CB300F CB300X CBR250R CBR300R VTR250 VTR250F (Titanium): Automotive

Frame sliders: Shogun, most excellent! They really do provide hard core protection. ... MOTO911.com

Handlebar sliders: Shogun, excellent!But probably not necessary. The OEM ends will absorb a hit and most likely the handlebar and lever will get trashed anyway. I am not sure these are 100% necessary. But they are cheap and much lighter than the OEM weights.... MOTO911.com

Rear slider: left side only, home made slider using beefy Woodcraft 8mm universal slider spool with a 1.125" aluminum spacer on the left side, none on the right. Axle shaft drilled and tapped to 8mm on both sides. I can install the right side temporarily to use a track stand, but there is no clearance with the OEM muffler. The reason I added a spacer is that the left foot peg and shifter have no protection unless the slider is way out there. You can see what is needed by leaning the bike over until the tip of the shifter touches the ground. .... https://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=27-3800

The Shogun sliders did what they were supposed to, they ground off and bent to absorb impact. The frame one probably saved her leg by helping to fend off 4000 pounds of car and provide a small space for her leg to slide by without getting really crushed. The rear Woodcraft slider really took a hit, but it survived and did its job.

The front slider probably saved the bottom of the fork tube but since it vanished I don't know if it actually did much.....

She was off the bike for six weeks but is doing fine and the bike is back together. I did not replace damaged plastic bits. The fairing has a small crack at the left turn signal mount and the tank side panel is scuffed.

Front sliders, Version 2: home made sliders using beefy Woodcraft 8mm universal slider spools. OEM axle shaft drilled and tapped to 8mm on both sides. Untested as of now, but way, way more stout than the DIMOTIV junk. Allows use of a track stand.

Hopefully she has gotten over her first big accident and she will be safe and secure for the next few years. But she is diligent about always wearing ATGATT.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

Attachments

·
Registered
487 Posts
The problem is that you have her riding gravel roads!!!!! Keep the bike on pavement where traction is infinitely higher, where the bike and tires was design for. If you want her to stay on gravel roads get a dual sport. Something like the TW200 would be perfect. What is her well being worth? More control reduces crashes...not much control on gravel with a 300f compared to a dualsport.

Frame sliders usually do more harm then good. Seen too many bent frames and crack engine cases caused by them then just abrasion damage from no sliders. There are crash cages for the 300f, seen pictures of them on here....think you have to order them from Thailand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is that you have her riding gravel roads!!!!! Keep the bike on pavement where traction is infinitely higher, where the bike and tires was design for. If you want her to stay on gravel roads get a dual sport. Something like the TW200 would be perfect. What is her well being worth? More control reduces crashes...not much control on gravel with a 300f compared to a dualsport.

Frame sliders usually do more harm then good. Seen too many bent frames and crack engine cases caused by them then just abrasion damage from no sliders. There are crash cages for the 300f, seen pictures of them on here....think you have to order them from Thailand.
She was not on gravel when she crashed, she was on smooth asphalt. Staying off gravel is a crutch. You can easily hit a slick spot on pavement, and if you don't develop skills from riding off pavement you can't react properly. People who only ride on pavement are only partially skilled.

She doesn't want a dual sport, no interest whatsoever in such a tall bike. A TW200, are you serious? What a POS. I would be happy to see her on a Rally Raid CB500X with knobbies, but that may be a while..... I do agree that better tires are a must for the 300....

Do you have a link to engine guards? I have never seen one.

BTW I 100% disagree with your opinion of sliders.

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
289 Posts
Glad she's ok, hope she's not too spooked.

Thanks for the pictures. I have the same sliders, was thinking of picking up the matching bar ends, they look like they held up pretty well.

They sell replacement radiator shrouds on eBay for around $100, just gotta search for them.

Quick story one time I was out exploring new roads and wound up riding into a two lane mountain pass similar to your description. Scary thing was, and I'm guessing that there was a quarry near by, the oncoming traffic was nothing but those double trailer gravel trucks and lots of split gravel all over the the roads. Talk about puckering... it was intense.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
"The problem is that you have her riding gravel roads!!!!! Keep the bike on pavement where traction is infinitely higher, where the bike and tires was design for. If you want her to stay on gravel roads get a dual sport. Something like the TW200 would be perfect. What is her well being worth? More control reduces crashes...not much control on gravel with a 300f compared to a dualsport."

I disagree with that comment. Yes, a dual sport would be better, but riding gravel roads on normal bikes is perfectly doable. I've been doing it from day 1, first on a scooter (Vespa) and now on the Honda. As long as the gravel is not deep, I wouldn't even consider it dangerous. Just don't lean the bike and be gentle with the controls.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do you mind if I ask what the cell phone mount is for? Does she need/use GPS?

People can disagree all they want with your sliders decision, fact of the matter is she still has her leg because of it. To **** with the frame potentially bending........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts