Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone? New to this forum, rebuilding an engine with 18,000 mls, 2016 model, which had the crank recall performed in 2016, but again has piston and cylinder damage. Engine is apart now and I decided to replace the crank as well, because the wrist pin has too much play and I need to check crank bearings for damage.
New cranks don’t seem to be available from Honda anymore, if I get a crank from eBay, how can I make sure it’s a “good” one and not a leftover from the recall years? Are there serial numbers on the crank? Thanks!

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was able to put the order in at BikeBandit, but I doubt they will be able to fullfil, according to a message on their website. Order went through though.
The crank is something a vendor can normally receive in 2 days from a centralized warehouse... but not stock themselves. Who knows, a whole container full of them may be off the western coast in California, along with a whole fleet of other ships, just waiting to be unloaded.. Either way, it'll be worth the wait.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The crank is something a vendor can normally receive in 2 days from a centralized warehouse... but not stock themselves. Who knows, a whole container full of them may be off the western coast in California, along with a whole fleet of other ships, just waiting to be unloaded.. Either way, it'll be worth the wait.
A new crank at BikeBandit is $179, used ones on ebay start at $399...You are probably right that there will be a long wait for the new ones and therefore prices for used ones are up. I'll report back how it goes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BikeBandit is $179 for outright buy, but I still need to get a confirmation they will be able to get their hands on one. They took my payment though! Considering used ones on ebay go for twice the price, I doubt Bike Bandit will be able to fullfil their order in a reasonable time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
BikeBandit is $179 for outright buy, but I still need to get a confirmation they will be able to get their hands on one. They took my payment though! Considering used ones on ebay go for twice the price, I doubt Bike Bandit will be able to fullfil their order in a reasonable time.
I ordered something from BikeBandit back in the summer (don't remember what it was), and it took nearly three months to receive it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hear you! Just today they told me that they won't be able to get their hands on the crank (which actually I determined I don't need, wrist pin play is within limits) and the cylinder. So I ordered the same stuff in 3 places, hopefully one of them can deliver!

·
Premium Member
5,529 Posts
I ordered something from BikeBandit back in the summer (don't remember what it was), and it took nearly three months to receive it.
I can trump that :giggle: ...a work colleague of mine ordered a part for his sons GasGas trail bike. It had to come from Italy as the local dealer didn't have it in stock. It took bang on one calendar year to get here! Gotta love Covid times eh.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't think it was mentioned did you check to see if that bike was part of the recall-if so Honda owes you a new crank assembly free+a rebuild

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think it was mentioned did you check to see if that bike was part of the recall-if so Honda owes you a new crank assembly free+a rebuild
Yes thanks for bringing it up. The recall was completed before the bike was sold in 2016.
Judging from how dirty the engine oil and air filter were, it looks to me that the previous owner beat the crap out of it for 18,000 mls and never did any maintenance, there fore the cylinder and piston damage :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts