Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a 2015 CBR300R with about 7k kms (~5k miles) with some apparent engine issue.
Bike was doing great last year and went into storage with a full tank and stabilizer.
This spring, first short ride was perfect and I did an oil change. I then went for a longer ride (~ 1 hour) where the bike was also doing great until it suddenly stalled on me while moving. there was no signs and no overheating or smoke etc.
I tried restarting the bike and it would only idle for a few seconds to a minute so I ended up getting flatbed home.
Same story at home with a short idle before stalling. I checked the oil level, air filter, battery and fuses and all were good. I then added some fresh gas and injector cleaner and that actually made things a bit better so the bike could idle for a few minutes now. I thought this was a fuel or fuel system issue and so I got the injector out and had the dealership clean it and got a new fuel filter since I already had the bike apart. This helped a lot and the bike only stalled once in a week of being used as a daily and started right up. Performance felt pretty normal overall but maybe a bit slower and with more vibrations (hard to tell though).
But then I noticed this rattle, kinda like a knock coming from the engine. It comes and goes and only at low rpm. I thought it's either a little bit of old fuel left or the spark plug so I changed the spark plug (old one looked pretty good though) and put more new gas. This did not help at all. I will check the oil filter once I manage to get some new oil just in case that is on backwards too.
I am now running out of ideas and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,529 Posts
That's a weird one alright, sounds like the big end bearings on the crank have expired but then it goes away again when you blip the throttle!
The first issue is definitely with the fueling if you improved it by adding fresh gas, changing fuel filter etc, I'm guessing this bike has done some sitting if it's 6 years old with only 7K km's on the clock. Never a good thing for a bike. Any rust inside the tank?
The knocking sounds like a serious mechanical issue but then it disappears so.... odd. Has this bike had the crank recall done? It's of the correct era to be affected perhaps but if you give your VIN to a Honda dealer they should be able to punch it into the computer and tell you.

Reactions: cbro

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input!
I called my local Honda dealership and they said the recall was never done so that might be it. I have an appointment with them now and won't ride the bike till then.
Hopefully there isn't much damage that the recall fix won't take care of.
Now I'm not sure that's the who issue but probably.
Also, gas tank is clean and no rust. I got the bike 2 years ago with 2k kms on it so it did sit down especially before I got it. That being said it ran great till this happened with no issues.
Thanks again for all the help and I'll update once this recall is sorted just incase this is useful for someone else in the future. This really might have been a combination of the recall and bad gas making things rather complicated.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CB300FAH (ABS)
22 Posts
There's a crankshaft recall on the 2015 and 16 CB300s. It's warranty covered. Check with a dealer. Hope it's a simpler issue or at least relatively painless. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi everyone, I have an unfortunate update. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.
So the dealership took the bike to do the recall. In the process they discovered that I had mounted the oil filter backwards. It was a K&N filter that wasn't explicitly marked with which side is out (stock filter is well marked) and I did it wrong.
Apparently there has been significant damage to the engine and the quote they gave me for repairs far exceeds the price of the bike.
After much thought, I told them to just put everything back together and that I'd take the bike as is. Plan was to maybe make this into a project bike later or do an get a new engine or something.
Weeks later, the call me saying they're having trouble actually put the bike together as is and that they would work on a new quote for me which I said was okay since there's nothing to lose really.
Not sure how to proceed and will update if there's any meaningful changes.

·
Registered
364 Posts
That's sorry luck. It's not much consolation, but if you decide to rebuild the engine... there's a great series of videos one of the Forum's members (Lighteningfrog27) posted when he removed, disassembled, and replaced internals of his 300's engine. You can do a "Community Search" at the top of this page with 'engine build' or something... or look up his posts and videos. Either way, thanks for the heads up and sharing the bad news. It may save someone else's engine. Keep us posted on your decisions and progress.

·
Premium Member
5,529 Posts
Your not the first to do that and certainly wont be the last. I'd cut your loses on it and collect the bike as is. There's no point in adding to your bill. If you do decide to re-build it yourself then it wont matter if it's in pieces.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone, I have an unfortunate update. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.
So the dealership took the bike to do the recall. In the process they discovered that I had mounted the oil filter backwards. It was a K&N filter that wasn't explicitly marked with which side is out (stock filter is well marked) and I did it wrong.
Apparently there has been significant damage to the engine and the quote they gave me for repairs far exceeds the price of the bike.
After much thought, I told them to just put everything back together and that I'd take the bike as is. Plan was to maybe make this into a project bike later or do an get a new engine or something.
Weeks later, the call me saying they're having trouble actually put the bike together as is and that they would work on a new quote for me which I said was okay since there's nothing to lose really.
Not sure how to proceed and will update if there's any meaningful changes.
thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to check that out!
That's sorry luck. It's not much consolation, but if you decide to rebuild the engine... there's a great series of videos one of the Forum's members (Lighteningfrog27) posted when he removed, disassembled, and replaced internals of his 300's engine. You can do a "Community Search" at the top of this page with 'engine build' or something... or look up his posts and videos. Either way, thanks for the heads up and sharing the bad news. It may save someone else's engine. Keep us posted on your decisions and progress.
thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to check that out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your not the first to do that and certainly wont be the last. I'd cut your loses on it and collect the bike as is. There's no point in adding to your bill. If you do decide to re-build it yourself then it wont matter if it's in pieces.
that makes sense, I was just hoping to have everything in one piece to make storage easier this winter as I'm not gonna be able to work on something like this till next summer unfortunately.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi everyone, just wanted to share an update to my story.
So the dealership has actually been having trouble putting my bike back together from what I understand so I let them keep the bike in shop over the summer. Now they found me an engine with less than 5000 kms on it to swap in for a fairly reasonable price ($1200 CAD for parts and labour). Engine is supposedly in good shape and not from a crash according to dealership. I decided to go for it since I love this bike and this is about a third of the cost they quoted me initially for repairs. I've also realized that doing rebuild work myself and sourcing the parts is a bit more than I can manage in the short term, even with the great advice and guides above.
I hope this is the end of the story and that I can get back to enjoying my bike next season. I also want to thank everybody here for their help through everything. This is my first bike and everything is very new and at times intimdating so it's great to have such a community.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If it was me I would ask the dealer a few more questions about that engine-like if it was not out of a crashed bike than where did it come from- no one removes a good engine from a non wrecked bike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts