Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where did you get teh fake akrapovic slipon and mid pipe from??

Thanks!

Wanted to post some updated pics. Just hit 32k. Can't figure out how to title photos so here's a list of what they are showing:

CBR250 carbon tank protector
Barnett clutch springs and EBC brake pads
Custom engine cage (delrin sliders being machined to fit as I type)
Her fat ass with saddlebags
150/60 rear 120/60 front Pirelli Diablo II's, shortened tail
Fake Akrapovic slipon and mid-pipe ($88usd)
Ebay shorty levers and Progrip grips
XRS2 chain with JT front and rear 14-38

Along with those I've removed the front and rear fenders, painted the windscreen black, added a 12v socket on the bars, velcro phone mount, and all adjusted to fit my 6'0" 220lb frame. Love it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
[link deleted]

They have 10% off for the next few days. Shipping was 4 days from China to Canada. Make sure to choose the "color" as CBR300R and good practice to ask for the 300 version in the order notes, just to make sure you get the right one. I did a 350km trip on it yesterday and it sounds GREAT

·
Registered
391 Posts
If its for personal use its not illegal to buy. Selling counterfeit though is illegal.
Having checked my facts, you are correct as regards Canada. However, it is supporting businesses engaging in illegal practices, and one has to wonder how many counterfeit items with brand names prominent on them are properly "explained" when sold down the road.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Selling counterfeit products is illegal. So is buying them. Just thought I would point that out.
Thanks tips. If you read their description they clearly state their company name and say that the sticker is just included. No different then any other chinese clones of any other product.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Thanks tips. If you read their description they clearly state their company name and say that the sticker is just included. No different then any other chinese clones of any other product.
Being "no different" to other copies does not mean what they're doing is legal, or ethical. If they are including a sticker that appears to be the logo of another company, that in itself is illegal. They have no right to copy the logo, whether they are explicitly suggesting the buyer use it, or not.

I have no problem when competitors 'mimic' other company's products, but if they infringe that company's copyright or IP rights, then I say they should be sued and anybody who buys such products had better not whinge if they ever lose their own job or business due to this sort of behaviour, whether by the Chinese or any other unscrupulous business.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If there is no discernible difference in quality but a 500%+ difference in price I find it very hard to feel sympathy for the originator, let alone hope the end of the line buyer would lose their job for "supporting counterfeiters". If a product is truly worth it people will pay the premium. If the only justification a company has for price gouging is the "status" associated with their logo they will have to learn to deal with it like any of boutique brand. Certainly, the extra price Akra charges doesn't come from paying their employees a good wage or using better materials or making a superior product in any way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Certainly, the extra price Akra charges doesn't come from paying their employees a good wage or using better materials or making a superior product in any way.
Maybe it comes from having to pay the Research and Development costs to design and build a compelling product that is so good unscrupulous people want to counterfeit it to pad their own pockets.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
... Certainly, the extra price Akra charges doesn't come from paying their employees a good wage...
As the previous poster pointed out, up front R&D cost is just one of the legitimate reasons the originator of a product, in this case a motorcycle exhaust system, have to charge what they do in order to make a profit. As for the wage issue you brought up, clearly companies who do their manufacturing in the west DO pay their workers a fair wage, unlike most if not all Chinese manufacturing companies who pay their workers what amounts to peanuts in comparison.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I have bought quite a lot of stuff from China, Thailand, and Japan. The little bit I know is if you order a counterfeit exhaust can from China and the sticker is already on the can or it has been permanently affixed/painted you might have trouble. In the U.S. our customs look through all this crap. If a name brand company such as Akrapovic has notified U.S. Customs that there are a lot of counterfeit items being sent to the U.S. then Customs can seize those packages. Customs will send the buyer a letter stating what happened and then you are basically S.O.O.L. But some sellers will guarantee you'll get it and will mail out a new package in a different way.

As far as the difference between Brand Name and Counterfeits there are quite a few in addition to the R&D and Q.C./Q.A.. Counterfeits will use substandard metals such as Stainless Steel instead of true Titanium, crappier welds, and most likely little to no warranty on the item.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
.......Lastly, if you no longer want to participate in these forums, it's as simple as refraining from opening the website page and logging in.......
And that's exactly what we all have a right to do whenever we see a product or service which we think is overpriced - walk away. Nobody is forcing us to pay for Chanel, Akrapovic or Gucci and, if you're prepared to accept lesser quality (or don't want to pay just for bragging rights), then there are plenty of alternatives out there.

No manufacturer has to justify their prices. In the interests of their staff and shareholders, they are expected to obtain the highest price they can for their product. Sometimes they achieve this by offering a genuinely superior product (though 'superior' might simply be cosmetics) or by clever marketing, such as building a valuable brand name that buyers want to be seen using, for the aforementioned bragging rights. Whatever the strategy they have used to maximise their sales price, that's business and given that my superannuation is largely dependent on those folks keeping their share prices high, I'm all for it!

I have no time for counterfeiters, especially big ones such as the many that operate in China. Their actions are nothing less than theft and they ARE taking jobs from workers in other countries, as well as reducing the taxes available to those countries' governments, and thus the services provided by those governments to their citizens.

Sadly, there are people who will go along with that so long as their own industry isn't threatened. It's a similar mentality to those who call for protection of certain industries (mining, car manufacturing, etc) while themselves preferring to buy (for instance) cheap clothes made in Asia, which puts other folks out of work. Selfish.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
@JNO... well said ^.

By the way, I like your new avatar photo... reminds me of myself when I was a youngster. ;)

Reactions: JNO

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well... I'm not sure on the ethics - it might be genuine, although the price may suggest otherwise!! o_O

Either way, I just bought what appears to be a decent quality all aluminium 18" can with laser etched name + baffle insert + connecting pipe (stainless) and springs, etc. for the grand sum of 2,390 Thai Baht (I live in thailand) - that's $75, including 2 day delivery to my door.

It was a little loud for me even with the baffle, so I have wrapped the baffle in about 5mm of exhaust ceramic fibre matting, wrapped that with an aluminium mesh, then wired the package tightly and reinserted - sounds lovely, feels better, with a little more back pressure. Not quiet, but not obnoxious either. Happy me! Revs out fully, so I think not over-wrapped.

So, what do you think? Genuine? :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,373 Posts
Well... I'm not sure on the ethics - it might be genuine, although the price may suggest otherwise!! o_O

Either way, I just bought what appears to be a decent quality all aluminium 18" can with laser etched name + baffle insert + connecting pipe (stainless) and springs, etc. for the grand sum of 2,390 Thai Baht (I live in thailand) - that's $75, including 2 day delivery to my door.

It was a little loud for me even with the baffle, so I have wrapped the baffle in about 5mm of exhaust ceramic fibre matting, wrapped that with an aluminium mesh, then wired the package tightly and reinserted - sounds lovely, feels better, with a little more back pressure. Not quiet, but not obnoxious either. Happy me! Revs out fully, so I think not over-wrapped.

So, what do you think? Genuine? :eek:

View attachment 34809
Not that it really matters but no. You dont get a genuine Akrapovic for 75 bucks even in Thailand. The level of detail on the fakes is pretty impressive these days. I've never been a particularly political person. You buying a Chinese fake Akra does not bother me in the slightest. Enjoy the good deal, will be interesting to see if you have any build quality related issues or not.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not that it really matters but no. You dont get a genuine Akrapovic for 75 bucks even in Thailand. The level of detail on the fakes is pretty impressive these days. I've never been a particularly political person. You buying a Chinese fake Akra does not bother me in the slightest. Enjoy the good deal, will be interesting to see if you have any build quality related issues or not.
Yes, I was joking really - I know what it is. They do vary a lot in build quality, but this one genuinely seems/feels excellent. Let's see how it goes!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts