Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, been doing a lot of YouTube research and havent noticed a huge sound difference between a legit and knock off Yoshi or Akrapovic system. I can find these full "cloning" systems from Thailand for about $300 CAD and it includes the header pipe. I come from the car world where Im comfortable paying $750 to $1000 for full headers, turbobacks and stainless systems but im having a hard time getting on board with spending $700+ for a slip on muffler.

Does anyone have any experience with these knock offs or have any insight on where I could find them in the NA Market, Ive browsed eBay and havent been able to come up with much.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
one option is good used..
had a nice leo vince carbon bought from
a member of cbr250r forum [for my cbr250r]..

no repack incl 3yrs on my bike [til stolen]..
with experience you can always repack one..
sound depends on packing and db limiters..
altho the yoshi steel sounds 'tinny' [to me]..
sound is obviously only one factor here..

lv evo carbon s/o fitted close and tight
nicely merging with frame etc lines..
also a ridiculous weight saving..

as they say, you get what you pay for..

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've had a clone Akro full system on my 300F for about a month. I also added a hi-flo air filter and a fuel controller. All these parts work in harmony so it's hard to say how the exhaust performs in a stand alone setting.

That said, for the price I paid, I have no complaints and I'm happy with it. I wouldn't switch back to stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had a clone Akro full system on my 300F for about a month. I also added a hi-flo air filter and a fuel controller. All these parts work in harmony so it's hard to say how the exhaust performs in a stand alone setting.

That said, for the price I paid, I have no complaints and I'm happy with it. I wouldn't switch back to stock.
Got any pictures? How did it sound? Also where'd you buy it and what was the price?

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Hey Guys, been doing a lot of YouTube research and havent noticed a huge sound difference between a legit and knock off Yoshi or Akrapovic system. I can find these full "cloning" systems from Thailand for about $300 CAD and it includes the header pipe. I come from the car world where Im comfortable paying $750 to $1000 for full headers, turbobacks and stainless systems but im having a hard time getting on board with spending $700+ for a slip on muffler.

Does anyone have any experience with these knock offs or have any insight on where I could find them in the NA Market, Ive browsed eBay and havent been able to come up with much.

Thanks!
From a quality standpoint, one reservation I'd have about some of these "clones" is how they will hold up in the long run... as shisoshin said, you tend to get what you pay for.

@ darknight... not sure what the laws are in Canada, but here in the US our Customs/Import laws are very strict (and vigorously enforced) when it comes to cheap brand name knock offs. Every year millions of dollars worth of all sorts of fake goods are confiscated by US Customs agents at our major ports of entry. So that may explain why you're not seeing these knock off exhausts in North America.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm yea that would make a lot of sense as to why. I've seen a few programmes on about fake goods coming in through the ports down in California.

Been researching a little bit more and I came across the MGP Growler for our bikes at $299 USD but couldnt find a sound clip of it. M4 Street Slayer with the silencer sounded good on the 250 but no videos of people revving it high just idle tones.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Hmm yea that would make a lot of sense as to why. I've seen a few programmes on about fake goods coming in through the ports down in California.

Been researching a little bit more and I came across the MGP Growler for our bikes at $299 USD but couldnt find a sound clip of it. M4 Street Slayer with the silencer sounded good on the 250 but no videos of people revving it high just idle tones.
Seriously, don't waste your money... they are obnoxiously loud and not worth the ridiculous price they are asking for those cans. I can't tell you how many redundant threads there are on the CBR250.net site about those so called "mufflers", but invariably most people who have bought these have gone back to their stock exhausts because they couldn't stand the incredibly loud noise.

If you really want to get an aftermarket slip-on for your bike, I'd recommend going with one of the name brands like FMF, Akropovic, Yoshimura, etc.

I have an FMF Apex Carbon Fiber slip-on on my 250R and have been very happy with it, now with about 10,000 miles since I installed it two years ago. I'm currently running it with the dB insert installed (which comes with the unit), as well as without it, which I felt was a bit too loud to my liking. The FMF Apex in Carbon Fiber sells for about $350 USD... the Titanium version runs about $25 less than the CF version. FMF exhausts are made in the USA, and as you probably know, FMF is a company that has been in the motorcycle exhaust business for a long time... also, making exhausts is all they do, and they enjoy a solid reputation within the industry.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
101 Posts
From a quality standpoint, one reservation I'd have about some of these "clones" is how they will hold up in the long run... as shisoshin said, you tend to get what you pay for.
I agree with you but for the price I paid it's been good so far. If I run into a quality issue down the road I can buy this full system 4x for the same price as the original system.

Almost everyone in Thailand with a modified exhaust, which is literally millions of bikes, is running a clone.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
No but it looks LOUD! Fun for the first half hr then you may regret it... as motomike said, best to err on the side of quiet for a successful long term relationship.
:laugh:
I'd say this is more designed for guys doing track days as Tyga tend to make a lot of performance products for race bikes. Quality of manufacture looks good tho.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, man. A tyga exhaust will wake up city blocks.

In my experience if 80% of the reason is you want your exhaust to sound better and look better then you are best off with a slip-on. Performance is always fun but as in most cases, performance is expensive.

If 80% of the reason you want a new exhaust is performance you will have to look at the larger picture. More air out needs more air in so you'll have to get a better air filter for the task. Take out the snorkel while you are in there.

Now you have more air going in and out. Your ECU is sorta up to the job but it's main goal in life is to run your engine lean for emission standards. You have some new parts but your bike isn't tuned for them. If you do mostly city driving and spend lots of time in the low revs you'll swear you lost power because in those rpm ranges you did.

To tune your bike you'll need to get a fuel controller. I got an Electronic Jet Kit that's around $250 USD. Fuel maps for the 300F currently exist because I donated my bike to an EJK tech. Bonus: For my donation I got the fuel controller for free.

Neat fact that impresses only me is I have the only 300 in the world using this setup right now.

EFI Controllers - Electronic Jet Kit - Motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, Sportbikes, Snowmobiles, Watercraft, Dirt Bikes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts