Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my, less than a month old cbr 300r abs, exhaust is discoloring to a straw color and has some minor pitting turning rusty. anybody else? called honda usa who told me its a maintenance issue, by the way they suck. did i mention it is less than a month old?

·
Registered
447 Posts
No pitting, but mine gets discolored too. I wait until the bike is completely cold then clean it with some Royal Purple and a microfiber cloth which gets the discoloration out for a couple of months. I doubt you would need Royal Purple (degreaser), but you do need to wait for the pipe to completely cool, then clean it off with a clean cloth. Water may even work. Pitting is something more serious. I had a Ninja 300 with that and never got rid of it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My exhaust is the same,but who cares.The bike cost next to nothing what do you expect?.

If it bothers you just buy an aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What you should do is wash it really well, and then park it. And never ride it again. That's the best way to avoid dings, dents, scratches, wear, tear and miles. You can go out to the garage every day and marvel at its beauty.

Pull up a chair, invite your friends over, and just look at it. The sculpted lines. The way the light catches the chrome. It will be beautiful forever! Like a porcelain doll.

While you're at it, go inside and grab that pair of shoes you have, you know, the ones you never took out of the box? Don't want to crease them. It hurts the collectibility! Show them off, but keep them in the box! Along with all your action figures too! Who needs fun when you can check the value everyday online.

Sheesh.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
During my ownership, it started turning a slight bronze or very light golden color, if I'm not mistaken. I like the natural evolving of the color. Didn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mine has done that, mainly near the cat where it gets hot, seen many bikes like that but it will clean off.
Even stainless.steel will rust it just takes a lot longer. Just ride it, my gets me to work and back and around, better than a car, it will get scratched and chipped, just keep it mechanically sound and don't worry too much.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just give it a polish with metal polish once every two months and give it a wash once a fortnight. my bike has done 10400km's over 7 months and still looks brand new

Reactions: davethearch

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Stainless steel changes color when it gets hot, its normal. Aftermarket pipes do the same thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow. some of the responses are absolutely uncalled for. the bike didn't cost next to nothing, maybe the amount is nothing to some. not to me.
i get this is common for exhausts to turn colors. i get it. this happened the first week i got it, and other people mentioned it to me. i dont really care that it is turning color. i enjoy riding the bike. what i didnt enjoy was both my dealer and the manufacturer telling me it was my fault for not maintaining it, after a week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i believe you have misunderstood what i was saying. i know what driving does on the equipment. your self indulgent comments show your lack of knowledge and understanding of what a forum is about. but people like you love to hear yourself speak.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Dave, you should NOT be surprised that they treated you like that, have you ever dealt with an auto company before? The reason they said that is because most motorcycles do this from the heat, as many have stated, and they aren't allowed to tell you what they were really thinking while you likely gave them a hard time. Definitely just embrace the reality that is what a bike looks like when you use it. Now, that said, Autosol is a magical product if you are willing to put in the elbow grease. Another product that I have used is from ebay (Germany) and sprays on, you literally watch the yellow/blueing melt away, pretty cool....... except it will turn that colour again pretty quickly and you wasted your time and money. "Optiglanz"

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
wow. some of the responses are absolutely uncalled for. the bike didn't cost next to nothing, maybe the amount is nothing to some. not to me.
i get this is common for exhausts to turn colors. i get it. this happened the first week i got it, and other people mentioned it to me. i dont really care that it is turning color. i enjoy riding the bike. what i didnt enjoy was both my dealer and the manufacturer telling me it was my fault for not maintaining it, after a week.
Dave,, I totally agree with your 1st statement. Actually I was quite surprised by a few responses also....just saying.
That said..don't take it to heart...anybody can have an "off" or bad day.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
130 Posts
I reread my message, and it was a little snarky. I meant it in jest.

Simply and politely stated, it's simply something that happens to steel at high temperature. You can be meticulous in your cleaning and keep it at bay, but it's just a natural process. A heat shield set up would work (like on the pipe in front of it) a painted pipe would do the trick too. There is nothing wrong with your bike, it's the design you have issue with.

At the end of the day, using equipment alters it. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Simply and politely stated, it's simply something that happens to steel at high temperature. You can be meticulous in your cleaning and keep it at bay, but it's just a natural process. A heat shield set up would work (like on the pipe in front of it) a painted pipe would do the trick too. There is nothing wrong with your bike, it's the design you have issue with.

At the end of the day, using equipment alters it. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
i am not upset that the pipe is turning color per se'. more that the manufacturer and/or the dealer dont back customer service. i said something to both a week after i bought it. thats a little to soon. and then to get its my fault from both put me over the edge. i love my bike, i wont stop riding it and yes, with use it shows use. i get it.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts

Jack..and all.. That is the problem with the written word..you can't visually see the persons facial expressions or facial cues so things can and do get misinterpreted quite often...just saying.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Just as long as the exhaust pipes on the cylinder aren't discolored (sign of running rich, and revving high when cold), there's not much you can do about it.

In the past I tried to put Corrosion X on the exhaust to prevent rust on my bikes, but the exhaust gets too hot, and I have the impression, it only takes one rainy day to get it off the exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Given that the OP is in San Diego, Ca. I'd venture to guess that salt air is going to be a factor in accelerating corrosion on bare metal surfaces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Given that the OP is in San Diego, Ca. I'd venture to guess that salt air is going to be a factor in accelerating corrosion on bare metal surfaces.
sea air? i live inland in san diego. it is garaged so there is no salt air corrosion going on.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
my cbr250r lived on the street for 3yrs 5 mins from pacific ocean
with remarkably little surface rust, and only occasional cleaning
[altho fairly thorough]..
cbr300r not out there all that long [she passed away young]
but from the get-go her exhaust/muffler way overheated..
as members have noted, it has a cat in it...
that was to be her next mod, a black carbon
leo vince or other quality slip on...

bear in mind hond people are not going to be too concerned about
changes in colour of exhaust steel.. its like having road grime
or dirt splashed onto your paint..
tyres may lose pressure, owners check and inflate them..
levers, throttle etc may become loose, which is why they
have adjusters, for owners to adjust them.. [etc]

state and condition of wheels or exhaust metal or finish
so long as its functioning as designed, is a maintenance matter..

but the bottom line,, seriously, clear your mind of this..
in the scheme of things its nothing.. less than nothing..
get on your excellent motorcycle and go for a nice
mind-clearing ride somewhere..
[ :) ]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts