2,565 Posts

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
No problem...be aware though the TYGA full system has no baffle...though you can buy one if you know the diameter of the out let tip..different sizes (Chinese) are on E Bay.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Also do some research, because different grades of SS (304, 316 etc) have very different properties and the wrong grade can mean cracks appear pretty quickly. Others can corrode. I can't recall which is best for exhausts.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also do some research, because different grades of SS (304, 316 etc) have very different properties and the wrong grade can mean cracks appear pretty quickly. Others can corrode. I can't recall which is best for exhausts.
Stainless Steel downpipes for motorbikes are made of 304 high grade stainless steel. Attached one of the types available in the UK. Stainless Steel Down Pipe to fit CBR250R MC41 (2011-2014)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Stainless Steel downpipes for motorbikes are made of 304 high grade stainless steel. Attached one of the types available in the UK. Stainless Steel Down Pipe to fit CBR250R MC41 (2011-2014)
I mention this because I assume that the UK, like Oz, is being flooded with cheap Chinese products, many of which are well-made, but many are absolute sh*te. The crap stuff often looks great visually. However, those guys are not averse to fibbing about materials used, so do your homework.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Just remember if you are only purchasing the header pipe (downpipe) many brands that you listed Delkevic, Arrow, and Tyga all have various size ID/OD holes at the end usually sized to match with their exhaust systems. I saw the Tyga pipe was cheap and emailed them about the ID size. It was such an odd size you would need to find or make a midpipe to match whatever muffler you plan to put on it. Then you have to worry about angle and fitment of the muffler/hanger. I've been down this road for a long time and decided to go with a complete system from a single brand and everything fit like a glove

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
dsimmo... Were you aware that the stock header pipe has pretty well the same flow as a aftermarket header pipe. That is because the catalytic converter is located in the "muffler" and the stock header pipe is just 'straight through". So you could save your self $$ and just get a slip-on canister.

Reactions: mikal

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
dsimmo... Were you aware that the stock header pipe has pretty well the same flow as a aftermarket header pipe. That is because the catalytic converter is located in the "muffler" and the stock header pipe is just 'straight through". So you could save your self $$ and just get a slip-on canister.
Unless you are super OCD like me and want full stainless steel...and just like the looks of the goldish pipe from the front :)

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
I mention this because I assume that the UK, like Oz, is being flooded with cheap Chinese products, many of which are well-made, but many are absolute sh*te. The crap stuff often looks great visually. However, those guys are not averse to fibbing about materials used, so do your homework.
Yes, you can get stainless steel from China now that goes rusty! :(

Reactions: mikal

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
CDN: I was only looking for the header downpipe in 304 Stainless to replace the stock mild steel one. As like my old 2004 CBF500 they corrode in time. I would leave the cat silencer in place as don't see the need to replace it. If replacing the silencer you would also need a db killer to comply with the noise law over here.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR and mikal

·
Banned
777 Posts
I've seen custom exhaust mufflers here on Ocean Drive, that appear like a steel breadbox or pan, mounted under the body.
I've tried looking for them unsuccessfully.
The exhaust pipe goes under the bike, into an enclosed box the size of a sandwich box, rectangular. It has a hole on the side bottom exiting the exhaust gasses, and on a twin gives a lot of mid range grunt.
Not the deep sound, but loud around 500hz I'd guess...

I don't know if these guys bought them of another type of vehicle, or custom made them...

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Yes, you can get stainless steel from China now that goes rusty! :(
My DanMoto is located in China and the States. I'm sure it's all manufactured in China tho. They say it is SS304 which is the good automotive grade steel. I know my metals pretty good and it is SS304. I know some people may diss DanMoto but those who have gotten them really like the quality. I absolutely love it. They are starting to make a good name for themselves. I just couldn't justify paying 600+ for only a slip on.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I've seen custom exhaust mufflers here on Ocean Drive, that appear like a steel breadbox or pan, mounted under the body.
I've tried looking for them unsuccessfully.
The exhaust pipe goes under the bike, into an enclosed box the size of a sandwich box, rectangular. It has a hole on the side bottom exiting the exhaust gasses, and on a twin gives a lot of mid range grunt.
Not the deep sound, but loud around 500hz I'd guess...

I don't know if these guys bought them of another type of vehicle, or custom made them...
Hmm what you described sounds exactly like what the Benelli bike that @kiwi rider posted the other day. It has some kind of strange box underneath it and very small exhaust pipes coming out right next to it. Not sure if that is what it is or not. It just looked odd on the Bennelli

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
The stock exhaust on the Yamaha FZ6R (XJ6 Diversion in Europe) is some what the same style..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts