Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Unfortunately it's hard to make a small displacement single cylinder machine sound great IMO. If you go down the loud route then it ends up sounding like a dirt bike.
I'd be interested to hear the Scorpion in the flesh as its apparently road legal in the states so shouldn't be too loud and will have a better note than the stock can with its pea shooter size exit hole.

Now that I'm riding an inline four as 'my other bike' I find I cant help but think poorly of the noise the 300 makes when I swap bikes. :serious:

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
As kiwi rider points out, the sound of a given engine is largely a result of the number of cylinders it has. A single cylinder can never sound like a 4 cylinder motor, that's just a fact.

That said, some aftermarket slip-ons for these bikes will have a more "tinny" sound than other brands will... like many things, you tend to get what you pay for. Some of the better quality exhausts will have a deeper, low tone than their cheaper counterparts. The FMF Apex that I have on my CBR250R sounds nothing like a dirt bike.

Reactions: mikal

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
dirt bike, road bike,, 'sounds like' is just association
which could also be like a muffled machine gun..

the four stroke single whatever its particular purpose
has its own distinctive sound.. like a strong heart beat
at idle, giving clear feedback as to what its doing
when underway, and a muffled machine gun
when let go..

you can increase muffling for less sound volume,
down to next to nothing,, but it will still be
a four stroke single..
which wont be mistaken for
a car or delivery van etc..

multis howl or moan depending,
which has its own characteristic sound..
vive la difference !

·
Registered
172 Posts
hey man,

ive got a tarmac 2bros exhaust, by far the loudest exhaust on the market, as well as a 6% increase in horsepower, i dont know how true that is, but i noticed a difference, also factor in that its about a 15lbs in weight savings,

ive included a video of the note, it sounds 10x better in person, its just so loud that it distorts my dslr's built in mic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOJQtaMDNzA

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey man,

ive got a tarmac 2bros exhaust, by far the loudest exhaust on the market, as well as a 6% increase in horsepower, i dont know how true that is, but i noticed a difference, also factor in that its about a 15lbs in weight savings,

ive included a video of the note, it sounds 10x better in person, its just so loud that it distorts my dslr's built in mic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOJQtaMDNzA
That does have a nice sound to it even on Youtube. Is that a full system? including a header? I'm about to order a Stainless Steel Header from Tyga. Great looking pipe for under $100

·
Registered
172 Posts
That does have a nice sound to it even on Youtube. Is that a full system? including a header? I'm about to order a Stainless Steel Header from Tyga. Great looking pipe for under $100
could you link me on that? im curious to see if it'd work with the tarmac, but unfortunately its just the slip-on/mid-pipe, heres a video i had uploaded for another forum user, its a video of a second gear launch from about 15m/h

Launch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mslXDmJnDOI

tarmac installation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JMFT1JGDQU

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
could you link me on that? im curious to see if it'd work with the tarmac, but unfortunately its just the slip-on/mid-pipe, heres a video i had uploaded for another forum user, its a video of a second gear launch from about 15m/h

Launch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mslXDmJnDOI

tarmac installation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JMFT1JGDQU
Wow, your tarmac is pretty costly...$600 bucks! H
ere's the link. it' stainless steel, even has a hole for the stock o2 sensor and not sure if you exhaust uses springs on the mid pipe or can but it even comes with the spring hooks at the very end. I've looked around and the same pipe is over $100 and even $200. The $200 doesn't have an o2 hole either. Looks like a good header pipe right?
Tyga Performance - Section, Header, Stainless, CBR300R - Stock List, All Models

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow, your tarmac is pretty costly...$600 bucks! H
ere's the link. it' stainless steel, even has a hole for the stock o2 sensor and not sure if you exhaust uses springs on the mid pipe or can but it even comes with the spring hooks at the very end. I've looked around and the same pipe is over $100 and even $200. The $200 doesn't have an o2 hole either. Looks like a good header pipe right?
Tyga Performance - Section, Header, Stainless, CBR300R - Stock List, All Models

i had to pay 780 with taxes, here from canada, my cb300f, isnt a daily, just a weekend roller, so i doubt ill upgrade to anything faster for a while, im curious if that mid pipe would work on the cb300f, im assuming it would

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Well I am no expert but myself I really think that you do not need the header pipe at all given that the Converter is in the "muffler" only. Just a slip - on canister should be fine.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I am no expert but myself I really think that you do not need the header pipe at all given that the Converter is in the "muffler" only. Just a slip - on canister should be fine.
I agree totally. But I just really like the Stainless Steel, that's all. lol. So that my entire exhaust is SS. I know it would be a long time before the stock ever rusts, but the header pipe is viewable from the very front of the bike if you look and it is slightly viewable right at the end of the header pipe if you look from the side. It's a tad lower than the bottom fairing. I'm just OCD about tiny things like that. Being that it is also only $65 it's a steal compared to the $200 I see everywhere else. But I see now why it is cheaper...it's because the Diameter will only fit their can, unless I get a coupler and that would just look crappy

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree totally. But I just really like the Stainless Steel, that's all. lol. So that my entire exhaust is SS. I know it would be a long time before the stock ever rusts, but the header pipe is viewable from the very front of the bike if you look and it is slightly viewable right at the end of the header pipe if you look from the side. It's a tad lower than the bottom fairing. I'm just OCD about tiny things like that. Being that it is also only $65 it's a steal compared to the $200 I see everywhere else. But I see now why it is cheaper...it's because the Diameter will only fit their can, unless I get a coupler and that would just look crappy
The Tyga header is two pieces that are sold separately.

http://tyga-performance.com/site/product_info.php?cPath=72_1036_1192_1196&products_id=3474

The link above is for their 'Maggot' system. If you look at the parts breakdown you'll see a header & final section. Both are required to get the length of the stock header.

Still, you can get the full header for $124, and a CF can for $186. Pretty great deal if you ask me, lower than most CF slip-ons. Just keep in mind that it's pretty loud, and I'd recommend a silencer.

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=121730659379&alt=web
This one worked well for me after cutting off the tip. Originally it was a bit too restrictive.

·
Banned
777 Posts
You shouldn't lose any torque, since the bike is fuel injected, and has an O2 sensor in the exhaust.
As long as it's installed properly, changing exhaust shouldn't matter much.

I do think you need the pipe, or at least some sort of pipe that's at least 1.5 to 2 ft long to keep the exhaust gasses being removed optimally.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You shouldn't lose any torque, since the bike is fuel injected, and has an O2 sensor in the exhaust.
As long as it's installed properly, changing exhaust shouldn't matter much.

I do think you need the pipe, or at least some sort of pipe that's at least 1.5 to 2 ft long to keep the exhaust gasses being removed optimally.
The reason I wanted the pipe is because it is Stainless Steel. Our stock pipe is 1.5" outer diameter and going up to a 2"+ pipe would lose more backpressure. In turn losing more torque, no?

·
Registered
172 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts