Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CBR300R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, new rider here. I got a CBR300R a month ago as my first bike and I've been loving it so far. It was in excellent condition when I got it, well-maintained, and I loved how well it rides. I've gotten pretty comfortable riding it, but that hasn't stopped me from messing up the poor bike.

I was practicing some slow-speed maneuvers with my bike a few days ago, and in an amazing display of stupidity, I picked a terrible place to practice, and I ended up dropping my bike after running out of space in a turn. Now I have this lovely mark on my exhaust:

Does anyone know of a good way to touch up the muffler tip? I was looking all over for solutions, but I found nothing to really go off of. I know you can get color-matched touch-up paint, but I don't know what color that would be, or if it would even withstand the heat from the exhaust. I wish my first post wasn't a request for help, but I'm at a loss. 🤦‍♂️

·
Premium Member
5,386 Posts
It's pretty minor, another six months and it wont bother you. Unfortunately when you only have two wheels holding things up it's kinda inevitable that the bikes going to end up on it's side at some stage.

·
Registered
CB300F
35 Posts
That's not so bad compared to the melted cover I had on my exhaust when I was a brand new rider. I thought it was too good to be true that the cover was heat resistant. I was right!

At least you were practicing your riding skills, something smart, to get this rather small blemish!

·
Registered
2016 CBR300R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eh, I guess you guys are right. It could have been a lot worse. It's just that I have the worst OCD for that kind of stuff. I shouldn't worry about every little scratch, though. Knowing the drivers in my state, if someone doesn't outright rear-end me, they'll probably hit my bike in a parking space or something. I might just invest in some drop protection instead. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
CB300F
35 Posts
Another thought: as you ride, ride through rain, get splashed on, wash your bike, the chrome on the exhaust is going to get discolored. The joining of the tip to the chrome is going to get discolored. In time, it will be just another character feature :)

·
Premium Member
5,386 Posts
If it helps I dropped my brand spankers CBR250 the first weekend I had it. I was fitting a 15T front sprocket to the LH side of the bike and somehow in the process of swinging on the ratchet (with a piece of pipe on the end of it lol) trying to crack the countershaft nut loose I pushed the bike away form me and off the side stand. It fell away form me, landing on the RH side and all i heard was the sound of metal and fiberglass getting crunched and the brake lever snapping off.
I sat there in the squat position with my head in my hands for a minute or two before I could bring myself to pick the bike up. It wasnt as bad as I was expecting. About six times worse than yours but I was able to live with it...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mask off the stainless area, cover the back wheel and rest of the bike with an old cloth, plastic or whatever and spray the end part with high temperature paint. Don't forget to complete the job with high temperature laquer to stop the paint getting marked. I also did the heat shield by the heel. Improved the look of the bike.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mask off the stainless area, cover the back wheel and rest of the bike with an old cloth, plastic or whatever and spray the end part with high temperature paint. Don't forget to complete the job with high temperature laquer to stop the paint getting marked. I also did the heat shield by the heel. Improved the look of the bike.
Yes, I've done that, using masking tape and cloths, just not bothering with the laquer - looks great... Easily touched up again if it gets knocked, and I have most of a tinof spray left to do that with!

Reactions: dood

·
Registered
2016 CBR300R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I've done that, using masking tape and cloths, just not bothering with the laquer - looks great... Easily touched up again if it gets knocked, and I have most of a tinof spray left to do that with!
Wow, that looks just like the real deal! What paint did you use? Just for future reference... 👀

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow, that looks just like the real deal! What paint did you use? Just for future reference... 👀
I'm in Thailand., so doubtful you would get the same brand, but I'll include a photo anyway. It's just a high temp flat black rattle can. Mine was rated for 600C (1200F) which is fine for that exhaust tip shield - it doesn't burn off like it would on headers (I know, I have tried - on a different bike).

It would be difficult to match the dark grey colour of the original, so just mask and spray the whole thing. You need masking tape on the chrome, but rags are pergect for the bigger masking area and saves a lot of messing around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm curious as to how you ran out of room practicing turns? You do know you have feet, right? :D

But thats normal. I've gone down anywhere between 30 and 45 mph several times. Body is scratched on both sides. Its just the life on 2 wheels. If you haven't fallen or laid it down you really haven't been out on the road. Its inevitable, if you ride through enough road and weather conditions at some point you'll meet the pavement. Don't worry about it. A small muffler is really want you want.

You need to be heard before your seen on a bike. Just for your safety.

Invest in helite, itll save your life one day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope that works for you. I know it will burn right off of headers. Here in the states we have something called VHT Flame Proof that is good for 1300-2000F. It's the only high heat paint I ever use.

·
Registered
2016 CBR300R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm curious as to how you ran out of room practicing turns? You do know you have feet, right? :D
Ehh, U-turns to be exact. I was practicing in the narrow back lot of a big box store just down the street. I did alright the first few times, so I was pretty confident I could make the turns with the space I had. Everything was going well enough until one turn, when I realized the bike was going wider than I anticipated and I was gonna clip the edge of the pavement. By the time I reacted and put my foot down, my foot was already over the grass, whose soil just happened to be a good 6 inches below the pavement. After that, the rest was history. As I said, genius place to practice. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
391 Posts
You need to be heard before your seen on a bike. Just for your safety.

Invest in helite, itll save your life one day.
Not very good advice. The secret is defensive riding and being seen early enough by other road users. Loud pipes annoy a lot of people so they group all riders the same. If you pi$$ them off enough they will probably take it out on the next rider they come across.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ehh, U-turns to be exact. I was practicing in the narrow back lot of a big box store just down the street. I did alright the first few times, so I was pretty confident I could make the turns with the space I had. Everything was going well enough until one turn, when I realized the bike was going wider than I anticipated and I was gonna clip the edge of the pavement. By the time I reacted and put my foot down, my foot was already over the grass, whose soil just happened to be a good 6 inches below the pavement. After that, the rest was history. As I said, genius place to practice. 🤦‍♂️
Just jump the curb no big deal, done it plenty of times. If it helps turn with your knee out on the inside or both sides to hold steady balance in slow turns or u turns. Don't be afraid to give it some throttle. It'll turn harder when you and gas, also putting traction down keeping you on 2 wheels. I take beginners out on practice rides in my neighborhood due to its many slow turns. Allows you to get a real feel of how to come in and handle each turn properly.

·
Registered
2016 CBR300R
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just jump the curb no big deal, done it plenty of times. If it helps turn with your knee out on the inside or both sides to hold steady balance in slow turns or u turns. Don't be afraid to give it some throttle. It'll turn harder when you and gas, also putting traction down keeping you on 2 wheels. I take beginners out on practice rides in my neighborhood due to its many slow turns. Allows you to get a real feel of how to come in and handle each turn properly.
Thanks for the advice! I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I go out to practice. I definitely want to find a better spot first though regardless; if not for safety's sake, then for more room to practice other maneuvers. There's not that many empty parking lots around here, but there are some, just out of the way. I gotta go out and check them out when I have the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I'll have to keep that in mind the next time I go out to practice. I definitely want to find a better spot first though regardless; if not for safety's sake, then for more room to practice other maneuvers. There's not that many empty parking lots around here, but there are some, just out of the way. I gotta go out and check them out when I have the time.
Remember when taking high speed turns you want to push down on the arm that is inside the turn with the inside knee pointing down. Practice pushing on your handle bars, left to go left bike leans left, right to go right. You will feel it sway slightly under you. The harder the push the more the lean. Eventually you'll learn to maneuver your clutch/brake grip but to start just weave in your lane. Its not a car dont practice in a parking lot. Go into a big neighborhood and circle it. Find a round about and circle it. Once you get average speed turns down going slow just falls in line. If you turn in to hard too slow and it begins to fall if your on the clutch side just put a foot down start on left turns and you'll eventually nail right turns. And loose that muffler the added weight on the right sucks sh*t. If you were near me I'd take you around but it is what it is. Live and learn. If you need any tips or advice I do ton of maintenance on my bikes as well so I maybe able to walk you thru it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
dood - Nobody can teach you all that you need to know about dealing with fast corners safely in a few forum posts, but there are some fantastic resources on YouTube. If you have the attention span for it I HIGHLY recommend this guy, Ken Condon:

He really knows what he is talking about and helped me out a lot...

Reactions: dood
1 - 20 of 22 Posts