Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I started riding about a month ago. A little longer, but legally riding started early May. So far I've felt 100% safe, had no issues so far. I've had a few "emergency" stops from bad drivers but nothing crazy.

The longest ride I've taken is a 30 mile ride on the highway, then back. I'm about to go for a 2 hour ride to a "city"(I live in what I'd call a town, 25k population) and I'd be taking a highway for most of the ride, then a freeway for the last 30 minutes. I've never been on the freeway on the bike and I'm a little nervous.

Is there anything I should know before getting up to 80MPH in heavier traffic? It's Friday and the weather is gorgeous up there, so it will be a lot more traffic than I'm used to. I know of the trucks + wind and not staying too close to a truck due to **** flying behind it... Like rocks and such.

To be honest I'm not as worried about the freeway as I am the curvy highway with potential deer/raccoons etc. But still looking for any tips I can get before heading out.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Riding in and around a smaller town or city is nothing at all like riding on the urban freeways of a large metropolitan area. Even surface street traffic can be pretty freaking insane in big urban & suburban areas. You may find yourself seriously wondering if all those other drivers are intentionally out to kill or seriously injure you.

All I can say, is that you had better have your head in the game (and on a swivel).

That said, if I were in your shoes (as a relatively new rider wanting to take an adventure on my new bike), I'd ride off in the opposite direction of the rat race of those heavily populated areas. IMO, there is no better riding experience than taking a motorcycle for a day ride on rural two-lane roads out in the countryside... always seek the road less traveled is my personal mantra for a quality motorcycle riding experience.

Another way to think about it, is ask yourself this question: Where would Steve McQueen go to ride a motorcycle? :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Riding in and around a smaller town or city is nothing at all like riding on urban freeways of a large metro area. Even surface street traffic can be be pretty insane in big urban & suburban areas. You may find yourself seriously wondering if all these other drivers are intentionally out to kill or seriously injure you.

All I can say, is that you had better have your head in the game (and on a swivel).

If I were in your shoes (as a relatively new rider wanting to take an adventure on my new bike), I'd ride off in the opposite direction of the rat race of those heavily populated areas. IMO, there is no better riding experience than taking a motorcycle for a day ride on rural two-lane roads out in the countryside... always seek the road less traveled is my mantra for a quality motorcycle riding experience. Ask yourself this question: Where would Steve McQueen ride his bike? :cool:
This is a good point, thanks. Maybe I'll check google maps and see if I can take a slight detour. The only reason I was going to take this route is because I know it without GPS. Any other way there I'd have to use GPS which I'm not sure if I should while riding. I have headphones and a phone with GPS but IDK. I like to know where I am :p. I may have been exaggerating a bit too, though. The population there is only 120K. I'm sure that's nothing to some of you guys riding in 1M+ population. But I'll check out some other routes. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
A few examples of various Roads Less Traveled in northern New Mexico...

DSC_0233.JPG

And one of the "No thanks" super slab freeways of L.A.:

Attachments

·
Banned
777 Posts
On the faster roads, usually the lanes are wider.
that gives you more reaction time and space.

Some riders prefer center lanes. I prefer the outer lanes. Especially the left lane.
less traffic to worry about, and a shoulder on the left to ride on in case of an unexpected quick stop.
Right lane would be good too, if there aren't too many wntry and exit ramps. Avoid lanes with entry ramps.
Center lanes are safer than lanes where traffic joins lanes..

Keep applying what you learned in the city.
Don't overtake a car by too much speed. 5-10mph max higher speed is enough speed to safely slow down in case the car decides to switch lanes on your lane.
When a car is getting dangerously close to the lane dividing line, expect that it could switch lanes and slow down.

On the freeway, just like the city, "my lane" doesn't exist.
There's just being "safe or sorry".
the car won't suffer much when it hits a biker, but the biker will.
And no amount of insurance money can cover for permanent injuries.

So make sure you gear up as well as you can. Helmet, good gloves, boots, and preferably no jeans, but padded leather pants are the best.
jeans protects you better than jogging pants or shorts, but still, it only takes a 1 to 2 seconds slide to tear them up before the road treats you with a serving of the good ol'e road rash

1 - 6 of 6 Posts