Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
CB300F
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My relationship with backpacks has been a strange one. I cycle-commuted for about 5 years and it took me two and a half to finally realize I needed a rack and panniers. Oh how marvelous that was to pedal with nothing on my back weighing me down... to feel the breeze on my back.

Well, I wanted the same for my motorcycle, and found myself wondering what the best solution was. And I found it, on these forums(!) thanks to the contributions of you all.

A little pricey for me at the moment, so I simply got some straps. I had plenty of bungee and rope but wanted something dedicated. And these straps work great! And I don't think they look too bad either. I think I will be getting a rack so I can push the load a little further to the rear and away from my back... and eventually maybe I'll pick up some more serious storage! Pics below.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Having come from a scooter background, I always overkilled it for cargo - I carried a cargo net, Rok straps, and bungees in addition to already having hard rear and side luggage.
I agree about getting weight off the back for sure. The first time I did a bicycle trip with a backpack killed my crotch a bit, and I also like having the ventilation that a free back gives.

Rok straps are great but I find them a little inconvenient to install frequently, and at the time I didn't know any good knots for keeping the free end from flapping around, and just wrapping and stuffing them somewhere didn't always work. I still keep one or two in the tail bag these days but haven't made use of them since getting on a motorcycle.

Pending replacement of the tail bag with hard luggage, my attachment of choice is the Nite-Ize KnotBone bungee. I mainly use the smaller ones but I have on occasion used the giant one. I've secured a (full) 20L jerry can to my scooter with it before. Adjustable length and ends in a carabiner clip so I don't worry about it unhooking when the cord gets slack. Thinking of picking up a few more small ones or flat ones.

For larger items I still use a cargo net, but I can't always get the tension I like. I wish I could find a net that uses clips like the KnotBone...

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nite Ize has some handy-dandy gadgetry that I wish I had years back. When I had my Symba, I made a wood-slat luggage rack to replace the stock one. Trying to find a convenient tail bag that was easy-on easy-off, I bought a Cabela's Gear Bag ($15 CDN), a short length of thick bungee, and four fender washers. I punched four holes in the bottom of the bag, cut the bungee in two lengths, and knotted the ends inside the bag with the fender washers to hold it. It worked like a charm. Then I got the CBR, and no rack. I stared real hard at the bag, and realized that if I ran the bungees one right and one left, rather than one front and one rear, it might work. Now, I hook one side to the peg under the grab handle, then hook the other side. It's not waterproof, but for my purposes, it does the trick quite nicely. Three outside pockets, large top opening, and cheap like borscht. (Pedal or power, I don't like a backpack when I ride unless absolutely necessary.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Sometimes (many times?) I carry a good number of things, so a luggage rack and panniers are a must for me. The luggage rack was something like 100 bucks and the (current) panniers close to $200 (CAD). Worth every penny. Actually, I wish for even more cargo space...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
small backpack is handy for [say] getting soy milk etc,
no need to secure it or pack/unpack home and inside..
otherwise ocky straps were the method of choice
way back then, and still a simple solution today..

for longer runs i prefer a tank bag or a bag
that fits comfortably on the tank/your lap..
handy to rest on as the miles add up..

never used saddle bags, but they are the go
for storage plus low weight distribution..

·
Registered
289 Posts
That back soreness from carrying a full load of tools and a laptop one hour through traffic is awful. I need a sissy bar and some saddle bags! Please post if you find a decent rear rack solution, the rear rack I purchased weighs maybe 10 lbs I don't like the extra weight.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the factory tail bag as well. OK amount of space, but it is tearing near the mounting points after about 3 or 4 months of regular use. I keep a packable backpack in my tank bag in case I stop and pick up groceries or need some extra space. One of these, in orange.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I prefer a rear luggage rack with a topbox,

GENUINE Honda CBR300R Rear Rack Luggage 2014 2015 2016 2017 **UK STOCK**

·
Registered
CB300F
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a different rack than what Gromit posted. Does wonders!!! Handles tons of weight and still allows for a passenger. Although in these pics I have one bag too many to allow for that.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The Honda luggage rack I fitted carries a topbox very well and there is still the normal space for a pillion if required.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I own several brands of straps and tie downs but use the Home Depot flat bungee 95% of the time:

This one holds the stuff down very firmly and is very fast to take it on and off. I never bought a tail rack. But you can check out my Home-made Tote box here:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts