Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Every-one,

Just thought i'd post about the first gear issue my wife is experiencing with her New CBR 300. The bike was purchased in Australia from Bunbury City Motorcycles January 2015. Straight away it was apparent that first gear was hard to engage at standstill with bike running. it has now been back twice to the shop with no fix for the problem. Honda sent me an excerpt from one of their mechanic's forum suggesting that this is a "characteristic" that this bike has due to the type of gearbox it has. There suggested fix for this is to pump the clutch in and out and rock the bike backwards and forwards to engage first. Not ideal for beginner riders (especially in traffic).
We have found that if you hold the clutch in with foot pressure on gear lever and just roll it slightly forward it engages every time. We were considering legal action to have the bike replaced or refunded, but it seems that the problem isn't as big an issue as we first thought. However I would not recommend buying this motorcycle, looking back I think the Ninja 300 would have been the better option and I certainly would not recommend buying ANY motorcycle from Bunbury City Motorcycles. :(

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I think you're being too hard on the bike and dealer. I actually think it's a characteristic of the bike as well - I know mine does the same, but not bad enough to truly fault the bike or even Honda... And believe me, I'm so OCD.

Take it easy on the bike. Learn and adapt to the bike and work with it, not against it.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy for this bike, but I truly think you need to give the bike a better chance, and more importantly, give yourselves a better chance to understand it as well.

What do you think, partner? :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
most all bikes with this type of tranny does some sort of hard to shift into first from a stand still, it really is the nature of the beast. As you find the quirks and adapt to them you won't even know they are there anymore.

One thing to check is your chain tension, too tight and it will be hard to shift. Check for tight spots or kinks. Also clean and lube chain, a dry chain besides being noisy will not run and shift as smoothly.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Can't say I've had any bother with engaging first gear, sometimes neutral can be tricky to find if you come to a complete stop. But lots of bikes have that issue.

There are variations in gearbox's of individual bikes tho so maybe you got a 'Friday afternoon' bike that was slapped together hastily without care! :laugh:

I know for a fact the gearbox on my old 250R (which is supposed to be identical to the 300R) was a slicker affair.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have this on my cbr300r also. It was slight
Y annoying at first, but as others have said, just pump that clutch and re-engage the gear. It might take half a second at a set of lights, but when you learn to live with it its not so bad. I also noticed when I did my license test on their cb125e, it had the sa,e thing. Must be a Honda thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Every-one,

Just thought i'd post about the first gear issue my wife is experiencing with her New CBR 300. The bike was purchased in Australia from Bunbury City Motorcycles January 2015. Straight away it was apparent that first gear was hard to engage at standstill with bike running. it has now been back twice to the shop with no fix for the problem. Honda sent me an excerpt from one of their mechanic's forum suggesting that this is a "characteristic" that this bike has due to the type of gearbox it has. There suggested fix for this is to pump the clutch in and out and rock the bike backwards and forwards to engage first. Not ideal for beginner riders (especially in traffic).
We have found that if you hold the clutch in with foot pressure on gear lever and just roll it slightly forward it engages every time. We were considering legal action to have the bike replaced or refunded, but it seems that the problem isn't as big an issue as we first thought. However I would not recommend buying this motorcycle, looking back I think the Ninja 300 would have been the better option and I certainly would not recommend buying ANY motorcycle from Bunbury City Motorcycles. :(
I noticed when i first purchased my 300, but like the others said its just the bikes character. Anyways a little roll forward or backward while wholding the clutch always gets it into first from neutral no problem. I guess it just likes to have the chain moving a bit to engage.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That's perfectly normal for this bike, and many other bikes as well. It surprised me as well until I figured out that I could just roll it, but then I figured out that if I put a little downward pressure on the shift lever and lets the clutch out a little bit it just slips right into first. The more miles you put on the bike the easier it gets

That being said, this should never be an issue "in traffic" because a safe rider knows that whenever you're coming to a stop, you should always clutch in and downshift to first BEFORE coming to a stop, which is how the motorcycle transmission is designed to be used correctly. and while stopped, you should remain in first, clutch in, ready to go in a moments notice if you need to. You should NEVER be in neutral while stopped at a light.

·
Registered
236 Posts
and while stopped, you should remain in first, clutch in, ready to go in a moments notice if you need to. You should NEVER be in neutral while stopped at a light.
Exactly. The only time I ever have the bike in neutral is when I am pulling it out of the garage or a parking space, so getting into first from neutral doesn't need to happen all that often.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have owned over 40 motorcycles; had the issue to some degree with all of them. The newer the bike the more likely it will be noticed!!

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Wow! I am extremely OCD md picky. I have had the same thing since day 1 and have not even given it any thought. My bike runs perfect like a beaut. only time it ever bothers me for just 1 second is when getting off the bike, locking the handle bars and putting it in 1st. Sometimes I have to slightly roll the bike back n forth a bit and it drops in.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I know most people will put the bike into neutral at a stop, but I'm so used to holding the clutch in and keeping the bike in first gear at stops. I figure that would avoid this issue

·
Registered
447 Posts
It seems like a lot of people have had this issue. I did too, and I would rock the bike a bit to get it into gear, but mine started going into 1st gear easily after a month or so of riding. Hard to say if a Ninja 300 would be a better beginner bike. The Ninja 300 is a little heavier and has a slightly higher seat ht, both of which could be negatives. The reason I have stated that the CB300s may not be the best beginner bike is due to 1st gear being kind of twitchy especially with a cold engine. This could result in someone who does not have the best balance, throttle, and clutch control getting off balance at slow speeds. I think the Grom is probably one of the best learner bikes but it's too slow for the highway.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Neutral is hard enough to find so I pretend like I don't even have it, lol.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The CBR doesn't seem to be any worse in this regard than other bikes I've owned. Not the best, sure, but not unusual.

I learned long ago to find neutral while still rolling, if I knew I was going to stop. I then let the clutch out again. I usually find first OK that way, when it's time to move again. I try not to leave it to the last minute to get back in gear though, especially if I have traffic behind me. People can get shouty if some berk on a bike is holding them up, doing the old one-foot tap dance.

Reactions: jkautz

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Shifting into first gear or neutral isn't an issue at all... a quick second pull on the clutch lever and presto, you're in. Also using the 'double clutch' method looks like you're a much more "experienced" rider, rather than sitting there rocking the bike back and forth like a newbie would.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts