Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,
The dealership offered a nice discount on the store 2015 model, since the new 2016 would be in next month.
I wanted a newer model, but there's not a lot of matching orange-black gear out yet.
And since I already owned a black-yellow vest and gloves, and since the 2016 cbr had just but a tiny bit more yellow than the 2015 model,
I went ahead and did the purchase.
I wanted to wait for the right time, but the price was right so....

My first ride off the dealership, the bike wasn't set up very well for me.
I noticed this engine doesn't like revving below 3.5k rpm, and has very little bottom end torque, especially compared to the small Rebel, that has heaps of bottom end torque, and in stock form is almost impossible to stall.
The cbr does have a lot of torque compared to the Rebel, over 5k rpm.
Where hp and torque hits 15. The Rebel only had 16hp, and 12lbft of torque.

While riding I shifted mostly between 4.5k rpm and 5.5k rpm, where the engine feels very smooth! The only vibrations I noticed was when idling, or when going above 50mph it kind of started to build up a bit. But I'm sure once the engine breaks in completely, that the vibrations will lessen.
I did 30 miles on my first day, mostly city.

In the city I was often looking for a 7th gear, when hitting 50 on the speedo. I think it may be 5-10% off, because it felt like I was only doing 45 or so...
so the sprocket mod to 15/34t will be a given.
Seating ergos where as I'd expected, pretty uncomfy for the breakin.
The seating ergos feel fine when accelerating, but feel horrible when braking.
I yet have to take it above 60mph.
So far, the bike resembles the Suzuki GS500F I've own. About the same acceleration, but a lot lighter to handle. The bike is a bit top heavy compared to the Rebel, mostly noticed when riding slow, but that probably is because of a 50% larger tank.

The mirrors where hard to set up.
For some reason, I feel I can't see anything else but my lower arms or shoulders, and have a huge blind spot behind me.
The brake pedal is set at its lowest setting, probably good for a 33 or smaller inseam, but for me, I'd wanted a few mm more down..
The handlebars really only came up for about 3-5mm.

We'll see in the coming weeks how it performs on the interstate, which is why I purchased it in the first place!

And, of course pics:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, man. I too have noticed some great deals on the 2015 models, many dealerships are offering around $3100 USD, before the usual taxes, fees, etc. I'm to the forum, but I remember reading you were waiting and waiting. Congrats on pulling the trigger.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
... Seating ergos where as I'd expected, pretty uncomfy for the breakin.
The seating ergos feel fine when accelerating, but feel horrible when braking.
That's only because you've been sitting on the fence for an ungodly amount of time. :D

Anyway, good for you that you were finally able to pull the trigger on a bike.

As for all the other ergo issues you've listed, don't forget to search the forums (both here and on the CBR250.net site) for existing threads on those topics. We'd (kiwi rider and myself) rather not spend time moving new threads into existing threads, which only cuts into our riding time.

Reactions: dsimmo

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Congratulations Sir...Nice matching outfit! :)

Now please take what I have to say in a non-personal way.

Take time to get to know the bike. That is adjust the shifter pedal that feel comfortable to you and adjust the the brake/clutch lever angles that suites you also. Please do not compare the CBR to the Rebel..which I can see you doing. They are 2 completely different motorcycles and need to be treated and thought of as such. Ride the CBR 300 R on various little trips around where you live...learn how it feels in turns...how the brakes feel...experiment with shift points also.

Give the bike a chance before you start to nip pick the poor thing apart and finding fault with it...give it time. Perhaps a whole Summer of riding to honestly evaluate it first.

Now...go out...have fun....and enjoy the little WEEBR. Above all do NOT SECOND GUESS your purchase. There is not perfect motorcycle...these days..just good ones. Ride safe..:)

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
... Take time to get to know the bike. That is adjust the shifter pedal that feel comfortable to you and adjust the the brake/clutch lever angles that suites you also. Please do not compare the CBR to the Rebel..which I can see you doing. They are 2 completely different motorcycles and need to be treated and thought of as such. Ride the CBR 300 R on various little trips around where you live...learn how it feels in turns...how the brakes feel...experiment with shift points also.

Give the bike a chance before you start to nip pick the poor thing apart and finding fault with it...give it time. Perhaps a whole Summer of riding to honestly evaluate it first.

Now...go out...have fun....and enjoy the little WEEBR. Above all do NOT SECOND GUESS your purchase. There is not perfect motorcycle...these days..just good ones. Ride safe..:)
This ^ post, X2.

The two highlighted comments in particular are very good advise.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
When I change my car, I find the ergos inferior to the car I just sold. Then, when I eventually sell that car, I find myself thinking the same about the next one.

It's usually just a matter of getting used to the new vehicle, not that the new ergos are inferior, assuming you haven't gone from a cruiser with ape hangers to a Ducati 1199........

Oh and congrats on the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Well done mate, you look good on it! Sheesh, we're not going to be able to give you stick about not owning a CB/R300 now :laugh:.

Like some of the guys have said, it takes a few rides before it feels familiar. I remember after my test ride coming back to the dealer and complaining about the rear brake and the cheap plasticy grips. I don't notice either now.

You live in the south of the USA so at least you can enjoy it straight away, have fun out there.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It was sunny today, and I took it out on a spin.
75miles done, and the itch was too great!
Went on the highway, just one (or two, or three) exits, hehe.:D

So far the performance of the CBR was comparable to like the rebel, except now I took it in short bursts past 6k RPM.
I was anticipating engine vibrations, but they where almost non existent.
I took one quick accel to 90mph on the speedo, and it did it briskly. No bothersome vibes felt anywhere.
I could sit straight up (no tucking) and hit 90mph indicated!
And I had still more to go!
Most of the concerns of vibrations, lack of top speed, really where a non issue.
And I'm still getting used to revving above 5k rpm.

The main 2 things bothering me most, are seating ergos for city riding, and high rpm in the city something a sprocket change can offer me.

Also initially I thought the brake pedal and gear pedal looked cheapish to me, but at least they're functional!
The rear brake on the cbr, is like the front brake on the rebel.
It doesn't work well, but it is functional. the front brake works good, just like the rebels rear brake.

I was just surprised how little torque this bike has at low rpm. I mean, in its current state, it barely can pull from a stop! Once rpms pass 5k, it accelerates well, and 3.5 to 5k rpm are nice coasting rpms.
The rebel feels like it has more than double the low rev torque (below 3k rpm), and about the same between 4-5k rpm. Even my 150cc scooter has more low rev torque than this bike!
However, once it passes 6k rpm, that's when the grin starts!

I think this bike will be my highway bike, as the seating gives me shoulder pains within 15 minutes.
Once at higher speed, the body somewhat balances, but i find myself uncomfortable pushing up my upper body for prolonged times.
The tank's not big enough to lay on.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Excuses, excuses, and more excuses! You wanted this bike all along, and that's why you didn't give up on us after the "goodbye". I see you ditched your calculator for them shades, eh?

Welcome!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
You're a hard customer to please but here's a thought on your brake pedal and gear lever issue:
If you fit rear sets at some stage in the future you will get more adjustability on both pedals to set them up exactly as you like and they will look more trick than the OEM ones.
Glad your concern's about vibration and top speed have been laid to rest tho.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I swear if MeeLee was told that, from now on, he only has to work Fridays with no cut in pay, he would say, "What - EVERY Friday?"

·
Registered
353 Posts
congrats on the bike.

Even though i cruise at 4k rpm in top if the traffic is flowing ok in town, i don't like dropping below 4k. The bike just doesn't seem happy there and wants to lug.

·
Banned
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
congrats on the bike.

Even though i cruise at 4k rpm in top if the traffic is flowing ok in town, i don't like dropping below 4k. The bike just doesn't seem happy there and wants to lug.
You could go down to 3k rpm, when being very delicate with the throttle; but mine seems to accelerate just fine from 3,5k rpm minimum.
But I agree to keep the needle above 4k for anything more than slow accelerations.

The funny thing is that how the CBR300R feels at 3k RPM, is how the Rebel feels at 2k RPM.
I thought Honda would have tuned the bike to rev lower, so it could save some gas.
Once broken into, I'll experiment with 2 stroke oil in it, and see the result.
It probably helps smoothing out the low revs.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Well.. MeeLee "We" as a group have given you advice about using 2 stroke oil in a EFI motorcycle.. You may screw up the Converter . But you pay your money and take your chances...just saying...:)

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
... Even though i cruise at 4k rpm in top if the traffic is flowing ok in town, i don't like dropping below 4k. The bike just doesn't seem happy there and wants to lug.
You could go down to 3k rpm, when being very delicate with the throttle; but mine seems to accelerate just fine from 3,5k rpm minimum.
But I agree to keep the needle above 4k for anything more than slow accelerations.
I thought Honda would have tuned the bike to rev lower, so it could save some gas.
The bike has a 6 speed transmission for a reason. I don't understand why people would ride around in 6th gear at low RPM's and slow road speeds. It's not a scooter.

Once broken into, I'll experiment with 2 stroke oil in it, and see the result.
It probably helps smoothing out the low revs.
One result is that your warranty coverage on the engine, EFI, and cat con will be voided. BTW, the warranty people at American Honda Motor Co. do read these forums.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I think this bike will be my highway bike, as the seating gives me shoulder pains within 15 minutes.
Once at higher speed, the body somewhat balances, but i find myself uncomfortable pushing up my upper body for prolonged times.
Sounds like you need to do some more crunches at the gym! :D When I first started riding I found I was putting too much of my weight on the grips also which caused similar fatigue. Had to keep reminding myself "core tight, weight on the pegs, and arms loose," like my MSF instructor had taught us. Once I started making a conscious effort to add keeping-my-posture-correct to the other subtleties of bike operation, it wasn't an issue. You'll adapt to that, just give it time.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The main 2 things bothering me most, are seating ergos for city riding, and high rpm in the city something a sprocket change can offer me.

Also initially I thought the brake pedal and gear pedal looked cheapish to me, but at least they're functional!
The rear brake on the cbr, is like the front brake on the rebel.
It doesn't work well, but it is functional. the front brake works good, just like the rebels rear brake.

For me the FW-leaning position of a sports bike like the CBR is also uncomfortable...that's why I have the CB300F with an upright seating position. I can't understand why you buy the CBR and then complain that after 15 min your shoulders are in pain. Even just sitting on a CBR at a dealer for a few minutes would give you a good indication how your body likes it. No excuse to complain now ;)

The brakes will get better as the pads and discs slightly wear out.
Wouldn't this be known to motorcyclists who have already had a few bikes?

Man, are you trolling or being serious with your complaints? If serious,
you haven't done much homework before you bought the bike.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts