Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm from Washington State and purchased a new 2018 CBR300R from the dealer in February of this year. I found this forum community to gain some insight into my new bike. I've been reading various posts and have used many of the ideas found here to help make my bike even better. Many thanks to those still helping answer questions and offering great advice.

Don

·
Registered
262 Posts
We're here to offer advice and opinions on all matters of worldly wisdom. Some of it helpful, some not so much. :rolleyes: Welcome to the Forum. Ride Safe and Enjoy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Welcome from another Don. Have you changed the front sprocket to a 15T? Makes a world of difference to the useability of the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome from another Don. Have you changed the front sprocket to a 15T? Makes a world of difference to the useability of the bike.
I recently changed to a 15 tooth sprocket as well as adding a EJK fuel controller. I have found those two in combination make an incredible difference to the smoothness of the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Hey Don, welcome. Good to see new members joining, we have some pretty quiet weeks around here. :giggle:

With hindsight I wish I had fitted a fuel controller or flashed the ECU on my CBR to bring the best out of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome! I’m new as well, What does a 15t sprocket do to our bikes? As well as an EJK fuel controller? I have a 300f... and any links to a good brand one?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Evergreen and Hondababy - welcome :)

There are lots of posts about the 15T sprocket. I love it. Here's what i wrote in a previous thread:

15T front sprocket ($2 in Thailand; exact same sprocket as fits CBR250)- couldn't recommend it more: 1st becomes a real gear, cruising is more relaxed at the new lower revs, the engine braking is reduced giving smoother downshifts, and our 10% optimistic KMH speedos are reduced to only being 3% optimistic - all of this and it still accelerates great in the 6 to 8k rev range. What's not to like; to me it revolutionises the bike!

I don't know where in the world you are, but the bikes here in Thailand (and Europe I believe) are 10% optimistic from the factory. I believe that is much less so in the USA.

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome! I’m new as well, What does a 15t sprocket do to our bikes? As well as an EJK fuel controller? I have a 300f... and any links to a good brand one?
I found a great deal of information about both of these mods here in these forums. Those many posts are what convinced me to install both items.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I found a great deal of information about both of these mods here in these forums. Those many posts are what convinced me to install both items.
right, i spent some time rummaging some threads on the topic last night after seeing this post, it does sound enticing,aside from the supposed neutralizing of the 6th gear...i’ll have to give it more thought and hold off for now

·
Registered
68 Posts
right, i spent some time rummaging some threads on the topic last night after seeing this post, it does sound enticing,aside from the supposed neutralizing of the 6th gear...i’ll have to give it more thought and hold off for now
I'd say that 6th gear is no longer useable on windy back roads, but becomes a fantastic highway cruising gear. Not neutralised, but fit for purpose - cruising at speed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ah thanks for the responses, i thought i had read somewhere that with the 15 that 6th gear is the same as 5th gear...Okay now i’m back to really wanting a 15t sprocket, but what’s the Added value of the aftermarket fuel controller?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ah thanks for the responses, i thought i had read somewhere that with the 15 that 6th gear is the same as 5th gear...Okay now i’m back to really wanting a 15t sprocket, but what’s the Added value of the aftermarket fuel controller?
The joy of the 15T sprocket is that it is very cheap (a little over $2 here in Thailand) and makes a huge difference to the bike. I haven't ridden a CB300 with the EJK controller, although I have a CBR250R and it made a nice difference - making it smoother on the throttle and in combination with a more open exhaust and air filter made a decent improvement in responsiveness. This option isn't cheap however, especially if you go the whole hog by improving the air flow as well as adding the controller - and performance gains are generally not massive... The reason I haven't done all/any of this to the CB300 is I find the bike with throttle adjusted properly is pretty smooth already and I don't think the incremental improvement I would get would be worth the money to me - especially since I have no intention of swapping out the air filter and exhaust to get the real benefit from the EJK.

My other bike is a Kawasaki Z400, with plenty of performance for me to play with - hence not trying to wring a little extra out of the CB; she has a different role in my existence! For me she is just fine as she is with the 15T, but each to their own... I can certainly see why others might choose the upgrades path - and it's a path lined with fun! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts