Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the bike in for an oil change at my trusted mechanic. About 700 miles in and due for #1 .

He found that there was engine oil leaking out of the shift shaft. Not insane amounts of oil but enough to be noticeable. Took it into my local dealer for a warranty repair but they won't be able to get around to it until Monday.

Will keep everybody posted on details, but in the meantime if you are riding a new bike take a peek and make sure that yours isn't leaking! Hopefully it's just an isolated incident with just my bike and not a bigger issue.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Took the bike in for an oil change at my trusted mechanic. About 700 miles in and due for #1 .

He found that there was engine oil leaking out of the shift shaft. Not insane amounts of oil but enough to be noticeable. Took it into my local dealer for a warranty repair but they won't be able to get around to it until Monday.

Will keep everybody posted on details, but in the meantime if you are riding a new bike take a peek and make sure that yours isn't leaking! Hopefully it's just an isolated incident with just my bike and not a bigger issue.

It is probably an isolated incident that the seal didn't seat properly during assembly but the gear shift seal is a common place for a lot of bikes to leak oil. On a lot of bikes you just have to take off the gear shift linkage and just pull the seal out with a needle sized hook and press the new one in. I have just put a little Honda Bond (Honda special silicone that is not effected by gas, heat and oil) on them in the past and never had a problem again but replacing under warranty it is the right way to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I as well have some oil leaking out of my shift shaft. I thought it was coming out of my oil drain bolt due to putting a magnetic drain plug in. However, further inspecting I see residual oil leaking from the shift shaft itself. Taking this baby to the dealer this weekend.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed on mine... :eek:

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
A lot of owners will see some oil around the shift shaft seal, thinking that the seal has failed and is leaking engine oil... quite often what they're seeing is not engine oil, but rather it's residual chain lube which has flung off the chain and collected inside the front sprocket cover and then drips onto the shift shaft and seal. One tell-tale sign or indicator is that if the oil is dark colored, it's more than likely chain lube "fling off". If it's relatively clean oil (honey colored), it's the shift shaft seal leaking.

Before taking the bike back to the dealer, you might just save your bike from some down time by taking the front sprocket cover off, and cleaning up all that chain lube from both inside the sprocket cover and from the shift shaft and seal area of the crankcase... kerosene or diesel fuel, an old toothbrush, and some rags works great for cleaning up the oily grime. Get everything good and clean, and without re-lubing the chain, ride the bike for a couple days and re-check for any signs of new oil leakage around the shift shaft seal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Turns out my selector shaft seal is now leaking. spotted it a week ago, wiped it clean and it is dripping again. sucks because the bike is my only mode of transport at the moment.

I also now have oil "weeping from that inspection hole" hope the dramas stop there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts