Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Selling my bike if anyone is interested. Wanting a bigger bike.

$4500 Phoenix, AZ

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Good luck with sale. Curious to know how much you'll end up selling it for. Riding season is here, so it should end up being fair for you, hopefully...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll post here if I sell it. Its on a couple of sites for a week but no interest yet.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Thanks! I'll post here if I sell it. Its on a couple of sites for a week but no interest yet.
Did you see how much you'd get if you were to trade it in to the dealer for the bigger bike?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was looking at a new Suzuki Boulevard and they offered me $2,200. I basically told them where they could stick that offer.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yeah, I was looking at a new Suzuki Boulevard and they offered me $2,200. I basically told them where they could stick that offer.
Don't understand why they'd lowball you like that. I would think that they'd offer you anywhere above $3,000 to at least try to close a sale.

Maybe shop a couple of local dealers in person and make a deal with the one that has the most reasonable bottom-line number after trade-in? The tax credit should help as well...

·
Premium Member
5,460 Posts
Yeah I was surprised at how little the dealer I bought my CBR250R was perpared to give me when I wanted to trade up to the 300. I went private sale and got what I wanted. Maybe its because your changing marques so I'm assuming its a different dealer to the one you bought the 300 off?

·
Registered
96 Posts
good luck with the sale, what is the mileage? Found it on CL 1200 miles

ride safe

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
Selling my bike if anyone is interested. Wanting a bigger bike.

$4500 Phoenix, AZ
Honestly, the idea of getting anything even close to $4500 for your bike on a private sale is wishful thinking. What's the MSRP of a brand new 300R with ABS, $4899?

Of course you can't go by what just one dealer offers you on a trade in either, but you have to remember they are in business to make money. To any dealer, your bike is just another used bike... and a used bike takes the biggest depreciation hit in it's first year. Also know that dealer's will never have the emotional attachment to a bike that the owner does... it's just business.

Bottom line... you'll never get a trade-in valuation that is close to what you can realistically sell the bike for as a private party sale.

Assuming your bike has fairly low miles, I'd think that it would be worth about $3700 to $3900 as a retail value (what you could expect to sell it for privately). Based on those numbers, a dealer probably won't offer much more than about $2600 for it as a trade-in.

Reactions: Jim Fox and Fanatic

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
^ I call this the "Mr Moto Reality Check". :laugh:

* With that said, I'd say you get roughly $3k including your tax credit if you push the negotiations hard. That means that you'd probably get about $700 - $900 more if you'd sell it privately. If you can do any better with either direction, that would be a bonus. Don't forget to focus on the trade-in difference (bottom line). Don't want to get screwed on the new bike's price while you're focusing on the trade.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts