Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have read about the new Yamaha R3 and we know the strengths of the Ninja 300 and the RC 390....so what changes (if any) would YOU like to see made to the CBR 300 R for next year to make it more competitive....;) (use your imagination ..think out of the box)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I've mentioned this before, but it would be cool to see a higher performance variant - CBR300RR? Just an overall sharper and more sportier version.

If the chances are slim on this idea, then that's completely okay since I won't be tempted to trade in. :laugh:

I think the bike's fine as is... Maybe come out with a Repsol and / or another exterior color?

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I started a thread a while back titled 'wish list for next model' but you weren't to know. Great minds think alike as they say...
I really like Fanatic's RR concept, got to be a winner.
The only problem I can see with that tho is if they put too much trick gear on the bike then it costs too much to build. Then the retail price goes up and you lose your target market which is mainly first time bike buyers.
Whereas someone like myself would happily fork out an extra grand or more for a sportier model. Regular readers have heard this all from me before but if I could order my 300RR to my specs it would be this:
Vee twin motor of 350cc putting out around 40hp. Full aluminium frame keeping kerb weight below 340lbs. Fully adjustable suspension with 41mm forks. No electronic gimmickery or ABS. Adjustable levers.
That's about it :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would be happy to see the motor bored out to 305cc, better quality brake levers, better feel in the rear brake and a little suspension tweek.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies..keep thoughts coming guys/gals. Since this is money no object thought any thoughts..ideas..suggestions no matter how wild are welcome.

Perhaps Honda should do as Fanatic said a 300RR AND keep the regular 300R as is. Myself as stated in a previous thread...."higher lift " cams and a tweeked ECU is an idea on the current platform. Or more involved as a parallel twin (350) with dual disks up front too. Aluminum frame I think might make it to pricey but what the heck..why not..the sky's the limit.

IMHO Honda has to bite the bullet here and do something innovative to put them in front on the market segment and stop playing 2nd fiddle.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be happy to see the motor bored out to 305cc, better quality brake levers, better feel in the rear brake and a little suspension tweek.
Good thinking there Youda..although Yamaha already has a 320 cc engine in the R 3....perhaps Honda should (Go Bigger or Go Home)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It's like I have said before, if I were dissatisfied with the performance of Honda's 300, I wouldn't get a Ninja, R3 or RC 390. I would just jump up to a CBR500R or CB500F.
That is exactly Honda's point with those 2 models..and rightly so. but for me..I prefer a light weight bike (not 425 LBS like the 500's). Years ago I had a Yamaha RZ 350 (2 stroke) with approx 55 BHP that weighed close to the same as the CBR 300R. I should have never traded that bike in later on it was a balst to ride. Actually the R 3 reminds me alot of the old RZ.

But this thread is just a fun thread to get other peoples idea about the 300 R and what changes if any you would suggest

·
Registered
54 Posts
They should go back to the 90s cbr250rr

A new 300cc high revving four cyclinder

(ive already looked into seeing if a MC22 engine could swap into the 300f, because owning a MC22 in the states is a challenge to get through imports if you can even find one for a decent price.)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
They should go back to the 90s cbr250rr

A new 300cc high revving four cyclinder

(ive already looked into seeing if a MC22 engine could swap into the 300f, because owning a MC22 in the states is a challenge to get through imports if you can even find one for a decent price.)
Honda already has a CB 400..DOHC /4 valve screamer in other parts of the world..perhaps ship it to North America?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9gKQXCkgBE

Reactions: scarabjim

·
Registered
141 Posts
Really I would be perfectly content with just more color options. A solid matte black, or all white would sell me. Even a white/black combo. And as others have been begging for all along, more model-specific aftermarket accessories would be great. As far as changes mechanically, I'd like to see it bored to a true 300cc instead of the 287 we have now, and wider tires. A gear indicator would be pretty cool too, although not really necessary. Oh, I almost forgot, a shorter kickstand!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
54 Posts
Honda already has a CB 400..DOHC /4 valve screamer in other parts of the world..perhaps ship it to North America?

Seems pretty cool. But doesnt quite fill the void i was thinking of. maybe with modern styling (street fighter or full fairing) and even higer rev limit like the 19k rpms of the MC22

·
Registered
130 Posts

Were you at one point the head of GM? :)

Selling a 300 and a 400 and a 500 is a terrible business decision.

The fact of the matter is you need model distinction. Any boost to the 300 will directly affect 500 sales.

The 300 is a base model bike. A very good one, but a budget bike just the same. The market of a high performance 300cc bike is very very small.

Would you pay more for a 300cc motorcycle than its 500cc brother just to get the same performance out of a smaller motor?

Personally, I'd like to see a replacement/upgrade for the Rebel. Take the 300 motor and slap it in a Shadow style frame or better yet, build something akin to the CB1100.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This thread is pure fantasy fun..nothing else...like I said "think out side the box..the sky is the limit"

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
This thread is pure fantasy fun..nothing else...like I said "think out side the box..the sky is the limit"
Reading your opening post, the question you posed is along the lines of "What do you want to see from Honda for 2016 in the small displacement class ie. the CBR300R?", which is much different than a "think out side the box..the sky is the limit" fantasy bike premise.

It seems most here are replying to the original, more realistic question in the OP of this thread.

I'd be surprised if Honda will come out with anything beyond new color & graphics combinations for the '16 CBR300R, including perhaps a Repsol version along the lines of the Asian market 2015 CBR250R Repsol.

That said, I tend to believe that Honda is likely working on a new engine for the 250R/300R chassis, likely a parallel twin in the range of 300cc - 325cc displacement. If they are developing such a motor, its doubtful we'd see it until the 2017 model year.

As for the "skies the limit, fantasy bike" question, I'd be all over a modern sport bike chassis with a 250cc -350cc two stroke twin, something along the lines of the early nineties Honda NSR250, or an updated version of the Yamaha RZ350N (I too had one back in the day, an '85 Yellow/Black Kenny Roberts edition). But as we all know, that's not going to happen. The road going two stroke sport bike is 'a train that left the station' a along time ago.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
How about if they develop the 300R into a sportier RR version that heads off or at least keeps up with the competition AND retain the 300F as a cheaper entry level bike and maybe offer a few different color options.
Something for everyone!:D

But yeah I agree with Mike, I can't see this happening till 2017.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think more color options would be great, as well as more for the F because here in the US only the red color option is available and i would like to see a matte black or white in this model. i purchased the R version because at the time it was the only one available in my local dealer and they still had not gotten the F version and i saw that only red was available, If there would of been a white or matte black F i for sure would have waited for that because i like the naked looks over the full fairings. Another thing i would want is to have a bit more power, for sure around 300cc or a bit more instead of the 287 this bike has. Better tires as well but not a major drawback as they can easily be changed.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Were you at one point the head of GM? :)

Selling a 300 and a 400 and a 500 is a terrible business decision.

The fact of the matter is you need model distinction. Any boost to the 300 will directly affect 500 sales.

The 300 is a base model bike. A very good one, but a budget bike just the same. The market of a high performance 300cc bike is very very small.

Would you pay more for a 300cc motorcycle than its 500cc brother just to get the same performance out of a smaller motor?

Personally, I'd like to see a replacement/upgrade for the Rebel. Take the 300 motor and slap it in a Shadow style frame or better yet, build something akin to the CB1100.
Well I only mentioned the CB 400 cause it sells in other markets along with the 300 and 500 models... and no I was not at one point the head of GM.:)

http://motorcycles.honda.com.au/Naked (I don't want to start any conflict)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Just add a gear position indicator. I keep fishing for 6th gear when I'm already in 6th gear. Otherwise leave it alone.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR
1 - 20 of 27 Posts