Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, went for a nice ride to and from work today, and think I found my comfort limit with wind on the CBR.
Today was 35mph winds gusting up to 50.
The bike handled it just fine, taking it at a dead crosswind at 60mph is interesting, pretty good lean to maintain straight travel.

Up on the interstate going 80-85mph was fun, wasn't a direct crosswind, maybe a 45deg angle to me. the tractor trailers make for some interesting wind dynamics.

Overall, the bike and I handled fine, never had any issues other than a few jump scares with the gusts. That fairing must catch a lot of wind, as that combined with the light weight made for a lot more lean than my cb360. And it is definitely a lot jumpier than my cb750 (it is almost a 500lb bike after-all)

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yes light weight motorcycles do get tossed around by the wind..but you learn to compensate for it after a while

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Yes she can be a lively little hussy in a strong cross wind :)
The last stretch of road into my home town is a 40 mile wind funnel and Ive had some shocking rides where Ive been down to 45MPH trying to hold her in my lane against 60MPH+ gusts.
Coming out from behind the lee of a high bank or tree lane or just the trucks and buses adds a bit of excitement to the whole business. Definitely teaches you good bike control, the importance of lane placement and how to anticipate wind gusts.

·
Banned
777 Posts
I find when riding my bike between 65MPH and 85MPH, the wind kind of balances my body.
Anything over 85MPH, especially with a head wind, is rather unpleasant, even on the cbr, which has a windshield.

I only feel side winds affect me, when I'm riding high-paced; on the edge.
In most riding (65-75MPH on the interstate), I feel I have a sufficient buffer to swerve with the wind for a moment.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
I find when riding my bike between 65MPH and 85MPH, the wind kind of balances my body.
Anything over 85MPH, especially with a head wind, is rather unpleasant, even on the cbr, which has a windshield.

I only feel side winds affect me, when I'm riding high-paced; on the edge.
In most riding (65-75MPH on the interstate), I feel I have a sufficient buffer to swerve with the wind for a moment.
So are you glad you went with the R model for the extra wind protection?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts