Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

From Nairobi With Love

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  scubidu 
#1 ·
Hi guys. New CBR300 owner from Kenya. Been following threads undercover but glad to finally meet you guys. Best forum ever :laugh:

#4 ·
@JNO. Born in the mid 80s so fight club was a teens bible.

@kiwi. We're not as advanced as South Africa (SA) in terms of dealerships and we have no track circuits. Roads are pretty bad so most people have enduros. Superbikes are considered a luxury here (plenty of used 2004-2007 600cc-1000cc Japanese bikes here though) and imports are taxed heavily. Jan this year imported a 300 from SA brand new for $6,225 all in (was the cheapest option available). Broken down as follows: Base price $3,135, Set up fee $200, freight $780, documentation $150 and local taxes $1,960. CBR 500r cost $1,500 more and R3 $2,000 more. Am one of two CB300 owners in the country and there's only one guy with an R3.

It was actually easier to get used 2011-13 CBR 250R locally for $5,150 but paid extra coz the 300 suited my long term needs. So far put only 1,110km on it that last two months, but that's coz ive been really busy at work. Obviously since there are no dealerships here, we have to import all parts and maintain the bikes ourselves. So far just done the break in oil change. Previously had an Indian made TVS Apache 180rtr for a year but sold it after only 9,000km (it sells extremely well here coz it costs $2,150 all in for 17bhp bike). You might know TVS cos they're partnering up with BMW to launch the new BMW G310R.

KTM is the only major dealership that's set up shop in Kenya and sold tons of Enduros to the motocross circuit (which has been around for 30 years). They've also sold plenty from the duke series 200, 390 and 690 (no super duke) for a number of years but nothing on the rc series. Plenty of adventure bikes (BMW 1200gs, KTM 990s, Tenere's, Kawi versys) around for Safari tours in the National Parks and there's a Nairobi to Cape Town or Nairobi to Cairo bike ride every year. So if you're an off roader, you'll be at home in Kenya. Still quite dangerous for street bikes coz Kenyans drive pretty recklessly... lots of crashes especially on gixxers.

Glad to be part of a thriving community. All the guys on the forum seem to have a working knowledge of their bikes so hoping to sponge off the collective hive mind. I do have a question on IRC tyres, so will probably need to find the thread on that.

#8 ·
Oh my bad. I think I posted the question on the 'Michelin Pilot Street Radial Tires' thread instead, by mistake.

Just out of interest. Are there many members on the forum from my continent?
Welcome to our Forum..from Canada's Eat Coast! I love the avatar...really imaginative. As far as I remember you are our 1st member from Kenya..Congrats!:)

#9 ·
@TheDocktor40. Yeah I am also impressed by how diverse opinions on the forum are. We have a CBR250 group on whatsapp for local owners but not much is said. Unfortunately being the only CBR300 guy doesn't seem to have an effect coz guys mistake the styling for a fireblade and can't quite figure out what a 286cc engine cane do.
@CDNHONDAR. Glad to be a unique member. Have family in BC on Vancouver Island so your neck of the woods isn't foreign to me. I give my bikes names (she's called Jaiya) and personality traits. So my avatar probably reflects my desire that one day she'll transform into an 70s boogie dancer in the car park during the wee hours of the night. One can dream. Lol.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR
#11 ·
Thanks Mike. Rhino? Ain't even a contest. Cycled near a herd of buffalo once at a wildlife reserve called Hells Gate, seemed like a good idea at a time.

#12 ·
In case you were looking for an interesting read from a biker blogger in Kenya. He rides some of the good roads in the country on a KTM. Don't know him but thought you might be bored enough to visit the blog one day.

KMCW586H

Reactions: kiwi rider
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.