Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, people. Loki's tyro here. I'm from eastern WI near Sheboygan. After a few years of looking into what would suit my needs as a commuter/fun bike I figured a 250r would be the ticket. Now that I'm actually looking to buy the 300 is coming out which is what I've decided on. It will be my first bike and one that I plan on keeping for a long time.
Anyway, glad to be here and glad this forum is here for everyone.
Cheers :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
hey welcome to the show! There's really not much difference between the 250 and 300. Unless you're in love with the 300 there are some great deals to be had on left over 250's :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone.

Cropper, I am somewhat smitten. I was holding off on a 250 mostly because the power to weight was less than what my car is and I really didn't want a bike that had less. The 300 is almost identical to the car which makes my decision much easier. I'm not really about pure speed/acceleration which is why the 300 makes sense for me. I've had a few people try to talk me out of buying a 300 saying I should get a used gsxr or "at least a 600" but I really like the low weight of the new bike, and the improved frame and I believe with some simple upgrades; emulators, maybe some better pads, and lots of rider improvement, it will be a superior bike to many 600's in my eyes and that's what matters. I will admit if I do eventually get to some track days at my local track Road America (15-20 minutes away) I will be scrooged but I would be having as much fun as anyone else. I was a little worried about buying a first year bike, but it's close enough to the 250, I think, that I'm past that.

Anyway, thanks for the welcomes and letting me ramble a bit :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks everyone.

Cropper, I am somewhat smitten. I was holding off on a 250 mostly because the power to weight was less than what my car is and I really didn't want a bike that had less. The 300 is almost identical to the car which makes my decision much easier. I'm not really about pure speed/acceleration which is why the 300 makes sense for me. I've had a few people try to talk me out of buying a 300 saying I should get a used gsxr or "at least a 600" but I really like the low weight of the new bike, and the improved frame and I believe with some simple upgrades; emulators, maybe some better pads, and lots of rider improvement, it will be a superior bike to many 600's in my eyes and that's what matters. I will admit if I do eventually get to some track days at my local track Road America (15-20 minutes away) I will be scrooged but I would be having as much fun as anyone else. I was a little worried about buying a first year bike, but it's close enough to the 250, I think, that I'm past that.

Anyway, thanks for the welcomes and letting me ramble a bit :)
Its all about rider ability, 250's CAN (in the right hands against squiddish competiton) carry immense corner speed vs a 600 or 1000 because you dont need to be as heavy handed with the the brakes. Its all about the smoothness and building of momentum with the 250's.

If you don't already I would highly recommend watching Moto3, thats the "proper" way to ride a small displacement bike ;)

Good on you for not caving, don't eveR buy a GSXR, PLEASE ;):D pre requisites include helmet hawks, flip flops and general disregard to actually being a competent motorcyclist ;)

(sorry for the generalization but I feel GSXR riders are the BMW people of motorbikes)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with ability 100% It's the same way with just about everything in life. If you don't work on improving you skills that you use, life is going to be one tough sob.
I will start watching moto3. I wonder if there are tapes of the 50cc bikes. Those things looked like they would have been pretty fun to toss around. Eventually I'd like to reproduce one if it's financially viable. I'm looking at a CB550F tomorrow. I like the older Honda 4's and others of that era. My first 2-wheeled experience was on what much have been a CB125S. I'm not completely sure.
I'm pretty new to the bike world so I'll watch out for the flip-floppers and flim-flammers. There are many more Harleys where I live but the majority of the riders are pretty nice. Most are casual cruisers that don't run the stop sign by my house unlike the SS bikes. It's annoying.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very cool. Thanks for putting those links up, Cropper. If you have any more "must see" links post them up for me :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts