Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

Full Synthetic Oil... It did make a difference

18K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  CanuckCBR300 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased my CBR 300 R in November 2015 brand new. All the oil changes that were done on my bike ...Honda GN 4 oil was used for 2016/2017. I have always noticed a little mechanical noise (clatter) when the bike was sitting at "tick over" and a little valve noise when cruising along at a pretty constant speed (90 to 95 KMH). When my crank was replaced on the recall..I then noticed that my bike had the dreaded "rattle can" cam chain noise at around 5500 RPM's it was notloud...but ..it was there. I was a bit annoyed by this cause before the crank was replaced...that noise was pretty well nonexistent.
Last fall I had my oil changed before the Winter lay-away and the tech at my local dealer suggested "IPONE" 10W40 Synthetic oil. Of course it is more expensive than the Honda GN4 Dino Oil that was used previously but I though..what the heck I'll give it a try.
This Spring I have ridden my CBR only about 600 KMS since bring it out of storage...but I can honestly tell you that the new oil had made a world of difference in my bike, The engine is much much quieter at tick over...the "rattle can" cam chain noise is pretty well gone to at 5500 RMP's. The engine runs a little smoother...quieter.. more refined to be honest and revs up the Tach a little quicker also. I though there may be a difference in my bike with the Synthetic oil change but I am very pleased and surprised with the result...which made me a believer in the statement... "Oil does really make a difference"

MotoMike..this may required to be moved...thanks.

See less See more
Reactions: Zeke
#2 ·
Well there ya go, tried and proven!
Will be interesting to see if the engine gets noisier again once that oil gets older and thinner.
I kept my WeeBR on Castrol semi-synthetic the whole 30,000 K's I had it, but it was never noisy and always changed gears sweetly so I never thought to try full synthetic. (If it ain't broke theory).
I'm running the new Ninja on the same oil and all's well so far at 3,000km on the odo.

Enjoy your summer of riding ahead mate, I'm envious!

#3 · (Edited)
I have always felt happy using semi-synthetic oil and doing frequent changes, but recently did an oil and filter change on my CB300F using Shell Advance 4T 10w-40 100% synthetic. I've only put a couple of hundred kilometres on it since, and it may be the "placebo effect", but I swear it is much smoother and quieter than with semi-synthetic, especially at high revs. Here in Thailand it was only B280/litre, so an oil change of 1.5 litres + a filter is only B500 (about 15 US dollars) so why not!*

I'll be interested to see how it works out as I put more kilometres on it. ��

#20 ·
I have always felt happy using semi-synthetic oil and doing frequent changes, but recently did an oil and filter change on my CB300F using Shell Advance 4T 10w-40 100% synthetic. I've only put a couple of hundred kilometres on it since, and it may be the "placebo effect", but I swear it is much smoother and quieter than with semi-synthetic, especially at high revs. Here in Thailand it was only B280/litre, so an oil change of 1.5 litres + a filter is only B500 (about 15 US dollars) so why not!*

I'll be interested to see how it works out as I put more kilometres on it. ��
Food for thought. I wonder if you are in Bangkok, Jim and can recommend the best Honda dealer for servicing in the city? I always get a changing experience when I get "Ceeby" serviced.

#17 ·
Well.Im at least 1/2... Mum was from Surrey... Dad's family way back come to Mass (USA) from England..:D

And Yes... I did have a Uncle Harry Potter.. no lie

#18 ·
Oil is always an interesting topic. Its a bit of a hobby with me.
I do oil analysis on most all my vehicles. I did one at 1000km, and I've just changed oil at 3200km and sent another sample away for analysis.
These will give me a decent baseline going forward. Then I expect I will start to stretch it out closer to OEM spec for oil changes (6000km).
So far just 10W-30 dino oil, not synthetic. As i live in Saskatchewan, I normally use Mobil 1 synthetic in everything i own, including 10W-40 Mobil 1 motorcycle oil. But will stick with Honda oil while under warranty. Synthetic is vastly superior in cold-flow situations such as Sask winters (-40C, not including wind chill). It is also superior at high temps, but that's more a southern USA or trailer pulling situation.
An interesting note, the manual calls for 10W30, but this is virtually impossible to find. The local Honda dealer only stocks 10W-40 (Mobil 1 is only 10W-40 as well). A bit more internal drag but contrasted with slightly thicker oil film on the bearings.

#21 ·
I use Motul 5100 10W30 Semi Synth in my CBR. Used Silkolene in my NT650 but they don't seem to do 10W30 so I use the Motul instead. It's good oil. Is it not available to you foreigners?:D:D

#22 ·
I'm pretty sure the oil you use is avaliable....but at the time my bike was at my local Honda Dealer and I asked about full Synth. So used what they had on hand..so far I like it.

#23 ·
I note Motul 7100 (Fully synth) is available as 10W30. I may use that when I've finished the 5100.
Never trust what a dealer uses unless I was to see him open and use a new bottle. You may have more faith in your dealer.
Safe riding.:)

#24 ·
Like the Motorex & Repsol oil brands, Motul oil products are available here in the U.S., though you're not likely to find it on the shelf anywhere other than a well stocked motorcycle dealership, or at a Cycle Gear store. Even Bel-Ray, which is a well known U.S. based motorcycle oil company, isn't something you'll find at the auto parts stores. But you'd be hard pressed to find a motorcycle dealership in the U.S. which doesn't carry at least some of the Bel-Ray product line on its shelves.

Reactions: CDNHONDAR
#29 ·
Guys sorry to ask what is probably a really dumb question. I'm new to bikes and I have a 2015 cbr300r and I too have this cam chain noise at 5k rpm through to about 6500 rpm. Is this harmful to the bike? Honda have been of no help in fixing in. So basically do I need to worry that while I'm riding on the highway at 120km/h or about 85mp/h is my engine goi g to eventually cease or blow? I'm going to try the change to full synthetic oil as suggested. But in the meanwhile is this a major concern? Thanks I appreciate the time to answer this.

#30 ·
Welcome Bryce, firstly how many kms are on the odo of your bike? It's a 7 yr old bike now so if the mileage is high then possibly your cam chain tensioner is worn out and needs replacing but if this was the case I'd expect the noise to be present through out the rev range more and at idle.. If it's not a high mileage bike and has been regularly serviced etc then perhaps this is just a quirk of your motor. It sounds like maybe you havent had the bike long so has it always sounded like this?
My opinion is that you have little to lose by trying the full synthetic oil.

#32 ·
Thanks for the welcome @kiwi rider much appreciated. My bike has 18000km on it. Yeah I only have the noise at 5k rpm through to about 6500rpm. Nothing at idle. Ive only had the bike for 4 weeks now. It’s been there from about the first week that I noticed it. I don’t drive often on the highway mostly main roads so I average between 80km/h and 120km/h. Mainly around 100km/h. I live in South Africa so climate here is fairly warm. Even in winter. I’m unsure of the service history. It was bought from Honda and they serviced it before I bought it but then again dealerships are as dodger as private sales nowadays. Bike doesn’t seem to get hot according to the gauge (stays at 3 bars) or half way once warmed up touch wood. It’s just that noise which sounds as if it’s coming from under the gas tank. But I can’t say for sure as it only happens when riding. I can rev it up when stationary to 5k and I don’t hear the noise. I’m going to try full synthetic and see if that works. Just kinda terrified the engine blows while I’m riding and I wipe off the bike.

#33 ·
Unlikely scenario but if engine noise changes dramatically then keep a couple of fingers on the clutch lever ready to pull it in. It would only be if you had a transmission lock up that the bike would be uncontrollable until you came to a stop. Not common.
Keep us posted on the results of the oil change.

#35 ·
Anytime a bike changes owners It's a good idea to check for outstanding Safety Recalls. Any authorized Honda dealer can check, make an appointment to do the work, and Honda pays for any parts and labor. It costs you nothing but the effort. Find and write down your bike's Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Call your favorite Honda dealer, VIN in hand, and see if your bike has any recalls. There really are no downsides to checking. Honda doesn't care if you're the original owner. They just want to repair the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.