Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased my CBR 300 R in November 2015 brand new. All the oil changes that were done on my bike ...Honda GN 4 oil was used for 2016/2017. I have always noticed a little mechanical noise (clatter) when the bike was sitting at "tick over" and a little valve noise when cruising along at a pretty constant speed (90 to 95 KMH). When my crank was replaced on the recall..I then noticed that my bike had the dreaded "rattle can" cam chain noise at around 5500 RPM's it was notloud...but ..it was there. I was a bit annoyed by this cause before the crank was replaced...that noise was pretty well nonexistent.
Last fall I had my oil changed before the Winter lay-away and the tech at my local dealer suggested "IPONE" 10W40 Synthetic oil. Of course it is more expensive than the Honda GN4 Dino Oil that was used previously but I though..what the heck I'll give it a try.
This Spring I have ridden my CBR only about 600 KMS since bring it out of storage...but I can honestly tell you that the new oil had made a world of difference in my bike, The engine is much much quieter at tick over...the "rattle can" cam chain noise is pretty well gone to at 5500 RMP's. The engine runs a little smoother...quieter.. more refined to be honest and revs up the Tach a little quicker also. I though there may be a difference in my bike with the Synthetic oil change but I am very pleased and surprised with the result...which made me a believer in the statement... "Oil does really make a difference"

MotoMike..this may required to be moved...thanks.

Reactions: Zeke

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
Well there ya go, tried and proven!
Will be interesting to see if the engine gets noisier again once that oil gets older and thinner.
I kept my WeeBR on Castrol semi-synthetic the whole 30,000 K's I had it, but it was never noisy and always changed gears sweetly so I never thought to try full synthetic. (If it ain't broke theory).
I'm running the new Ninja on the same oil and all's well so far at 3,000km on the odo.

Enjoy your summer of riding ahead mate, I'm envious!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have always felt happy using semi-synthetic oil and doing frequent changes, but recently did an oil and filter change on my CB300F using Shell Advance 4T 10w-40 100% synthetic. I've only put a couple of hundred kilometres on it since, and it may be the "placebo effect", but I swear it is much smoother and quieter than with semi-synthetic, especially at high revs. Here in Thailand it was only B280/litre, so an oil change of 1.5 litres + a filter is only B500 (about 15 US dollars) so why not!*

I'll be interested to see how it works out as I put more kilometres on it. ��

·
Registered
79 Posts
aargh man, I can't believe I Google Bike Blood before reading your post properly! Doh...

Reactions: CDNHONDAR

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh I forgot to mention that my bike runs cooler with full synth in it. The rubbish in it now has the fan going a lot more than usual - and this is on cold mornings (well, cold for Brisbane HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!).
Curious..how cold is cold in Bisbane?..:devil:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are you guys sure that you are not British? All you talk about is the weather! ;-)

Reactions: Mike300r

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Are you guys sure that you are not British? All you talk about is the weather! ;-)
Well.Im at least 1/2... Mum was from Surrey... Dad's family way back come to Mass (USA) from England..:D

And Yes... I did have a Uncle Harry Potter.. no lie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oil is always an interesting topic. Its a bit of a hobby with me.
I do oil analysis on most all my vehicles. I did one at 1000km, and I've just changed oil at 3200km and sent another sample away for analysis.
These will give me a decent baseline going forward. Then I expect I will start to stretch it out closer to OEM spec for oil changes (6000km).
So far just 10W-30 dino oil, not synthetic. As i live in Saskatchewan, I normally use Mobil 1 synthetic in everything i own, including 10W-40 Mobil 1 motorcycle oil. But will stick with Honda oil while under warranty. Synthetic is vastly superior in cold-flow situations such as Sask winters (-40C, not including wind chill). It is also superior at high temps, but that's more a southern USA or trailer pulling situation.
An interesting note, the manual calls for 10W30, but this is virtually impossible to find. The local Honda dealer only stocks 10W-40 (Mobil 1 is only 10W-40 as well). A bit more internal drag but contrasted with slightly thicker oil film on the bearings.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have always felt happy using semi-synthetic oil and doing frequent changes, but recently did an oil and filter change on my CB300F using Shell Advance 4T 10w-40 100% synthetic. I've only put a couple of hundred kilometres on it since, and it may be the "placebo effect", but I swear it is much smoother and quieter than with semi-synthetic, especially at high revs. Here in Thailand it was only B280/litre, so an oil change of 1.5 litres + a filter is only B500 (about 15 US dollars) so why not!*

I'll be interested to see how it works out as I put more kilometres on it. ��
Food for thought. I wonder if you are in Bangkok, Jim and can recommend the best Honda dealer for servicing in the city? I always get a changing experience when I get "Ceeby" serviced.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts