Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

Full Synthetic Oil... It did make a difference

18K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  CanuckCBR300 
Well there ya go, tried and proven!
Will be interesting to see if the engine gets noisier again once that oil gets older and thinner.
I kept my WeeBR on Castrol semi-synthetic the whole 30,000 K's I had it, but it was never noisy and always changed gears sweetly so I never thought to try full synthetic. (If it ain't broke theory).
I'm running the new Ninja on the same oil and all's well so far at 3,000km on the odo.

Enjoy your summer of riding ahead mate, I'm envious!

Welcome Bryce, firstly how many kms are on the odo of your bike? It's a 7 yr old bike now so if the mileage is high then possibly your cam chain tensioner is worn out and needs replacing but if this was the case I'd expect the noise to be present through out the rev range more and at idle.. If it's not a high mileage bike and has been regularly serviced etc then perhaps this is just a quirk of your motor. It sounds like maybe you havent had the bike long so has it always sounded like this?
My opinion is that you have little to lose by trying the full synthetic oil.

Unlikely scenario but if engine noise changes dramatically then keep a couple of fingers on the clutch lever ready to pull it in. It would only be if you had a transmission lock up that the bike would be uncontrollable until you came to a stop. Not common.
Keep us posted on the results of the oil change.

Hey MotoMike,

You said this above: "When my crank was replaced on the recall." I have a 2015 that I bought off a friend (original owner) but he didn't mention this crank recall. This something I can/should check into? Kelly
This from MotoMike in a previous post:
Bikes that have had the recall completed are supposed to have a punch mark made on the frame tube next to the color code, which is located under the seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.