Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

Full Synthetic Oil... It did make a difference

18K views 36 replies 14 participants last post by  CanuckCBR300 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased my CBR 300 R in November 2015 brand new. All the oil changes that were done on my bike ...Honda GN 4 oil was used for 2016/2017. I have always noticed a little mechanical noise (clatter) when the bike was sitting at "tick over" and a little valve noise when cruising along at a pretty constant speed (90 to 95 KMH). When my crank was replaced on the recall..I then noticed that my bike had the dreaded "rattle can" cam chain noise at around 5500 RPM's it was notloud...but ..it was there. I was a bit annoyed by this cause before the crank was replaced...that noise was pretty well nonexistent.
Last fall I had my oil changed before the Winter lay-away and the tech at my local dealer suggested "IPONE" 10W40 Synthetic oil. Of course it is more expensive than the Honda GN4 Dino Oil that was used previously but I though..what the heck I'll give it a try.
This Spring I have ridden my CBR only about 600 KMS since bring it out of storage...but I can honestly tell you that the new oil had made a world of difference in my bike, The engine is much much quieter at tick over...the "rattle can" cam chain noise is pretty well gone to at 5500 RMP's. The engine runs a little smoother...quieter.. more refined to be honest and revs up the Tach a little quicker also. I though there may be a difference in my bike with the Synthetic oil change but I am very pleased and surprised with the result...which made me a believer in the statement... "Oil does really make a difference"

MotoMike..this may required to be moved...thanks.

See less See more
Reactions: Zeke
Discussion starter · #10 ·
Oh I forgot to mention that my bike runs cooler with full synth in it. The rubbish in it now has the fan going a lot more than usual - and this is on cold mornings (well, cold for Brisbane HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!).
Curious..how cold is cold in Bisbane?..:devil:

Discussion starter · #17 ·
Are you guys sure that you are not British? All you talk about is the weather! ;-)
Well.Im at least 1/2... Mum was from Surrey... Dad's family way back come to Mass (USA) from England..:D

And Yes... I did have a Uncle Harry Potter.. no lie

Discussion starter · #22 ·
I use Motul 5100 10W30 Semi Synth in my CBR. Used Silkolene in my NT650 but they don't seem to do 10W30 so I use the Motul instead. It's good oil. Is it not available to you foreigners?:D:D
I'm pretty sure the oil you use is avaliable....but at the time my bike was at my local Honda Dealer and I asked about full Synth. So used what they had on hand..so far I like it.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I note Motul 7100 (Fully synth) is available as 10W30. I may use that when I've finished the 5100.
Never trust what a dealer uses unless I was to see him open and use a new bottle. You may have more faith in your dealer.
Safe riding.:)
I was there..when the filter was changed.....when they opened the bottle...... when they poured it in...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.