Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
Are you talking about sprocket sizes (ie. final drive ratio), or the individual gearbox ratios of 1st through 6th gear?

·
Registered
353 Posts
logicall the overall ratios would be longer as the ninja revs higher, a quick google should net you the actual ratios

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
It's something that can be changed anyways if you found the CBR's standard gearing didnt/doesn't quite meet your requirements.

You could try giving us more detail?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im trying to decide between the ninja and cbr just wanting to know how the gearing is does it feel more long for better gas milage or shorter for more of a sportier feel

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
im trying to decide between the ninja and cbr just wanting to know how the gearing is does it feel more long for better gas milage or shorter for more of a sportier feel
That's a subjective measure and so something only you can decide, based on test rides. What I think of as 'sporty' or 'long' will be different to yours.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Which of the options are you looking for, the fuel friendly or the sporty?

Not sure how much of the content on this site you have looked at but you may have noticed a lot of owners have changed their gearing from a 14T front to a 15T. So it would probably be fair to say the CBR comes with short or sporty gearing.
As i said before, it's easily changed tho.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
short gears.. i thought this bike was more fuel economy with longer gears.. i didnt think dealers let u test drive them?

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
short gears.. i thought this bike was more fuel economy with longer gears.. i didnt think dealers let u test drive them?
Your looking at less than $20 for a alternative front sprocket so dont let it put you off.

Regarding test rides. It probably depends which country or state you live in or even big bad a$$ city vs rural dealership.
Down here in little 'ol safe and trusting NZ it's not an issue. :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Both the Ninja and the cbr300 come with a 14 tooth front sprocket.

the cbr loves a 15 toooth front, a mate tried it on his ninja and returned it.

both bikes can be fitted with a 13 tooth front sprocket if you want an even sportier feel

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
We are allowed to test drive bikes in Florida U.S.. Although I may add that if you do not look like a serious buyer they might not let you. I flashed the cash when I walked into the dealership so they knew I meant it.

Btw, Ninja vs Cbr 300...My 300 is pretty much dead even with the Ninja but the Ninja has a higher top end MPH and keeps pulling harder once our bikes get to 80ish.

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
too bad I cant test drive the ninja and cbr300
Fixed that for you... sorry, fixed that for u.

So how old are you Eddie? Perhaps the reason the dealers won't let you test ride a bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im 30 i have a 09 600rr the 300 is for my gf i told her to get the cbr but shes leaning towards the ninja
im from long island ny

·
Banned
777 Posts
We are allowed to test drive bikes in Florida U.S.. Although I may add that if you do not look like a serious buyer they might not let you. I flashed the cash when I walked into the dealership so they knew I meant it.

Btw, Ninja vs Cbr 300...My 300 is pretty much dead even with the Ninja but the Ninja has a higher top end MPH and keeps pulling harder once our bikes get to 80ish.
The ninja accelerates better from 8 to 10k, as that's where the powerband is.
It would outaccelerate a cbr, if it wasn't for the short gearing.
Most of the power losses are just the engine revving up to that 8k rpm. From there it'll leave the cbr behind.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
The ninja accelerates better from 8 to 10k, as that's where the powerband is.
It would outaccelerate a cbr, if it wasn't for the short gearing.
Most of the power losses are just the engine revving up to that 8k rpm. From there it'll leave the cbr behind.
That's why when I maxed out in 6th he kept pulling many many lengths ahead of me. But from off the line to 50-60, my bike and his were basically dead on. He has a slip-on exhaust. That is the extent of his mods. I'm the one who works on his bike and I want to do more but he had no $$. He's only 19 :laugh:

·
Banned
777 Posts
Taller gears help on a ninja. You can go as tall as dropping 2k rpm per gear switch at 10k rpm.
That way when you accelerate to 10k rpm, and shift up, the needle drops to 8k rpm, and it should still be in the powerband.
The cbr has a mich more narrow powerband.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts