Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Knowing that the frames between the CBR250R and CBR300R are shared between the bikes I purchased a luggage rack made for the 250 in hopes of installing it on my 300F.

It's designed to replace the rear grab bars, pretty straight forward install. Remove 4 bolts holding rear grab bars, and replace with the rack re assemble.
Only thing is that I didn't realize the bodywork on the tail section was a little bit different between the 250 and 300's.

The upper section of the bracket doesn't fit under the side cowls

The highlighted section needs to be removed in order to fit it under the bodywork.

It is possible to make it fit with some grinding/cutting but I don't want to weaken its point of attachment to the frame. Most of the weight will be placed towards the rear, I don't want to overload it and snap it off. The rack is pretty solid and heavy, it weighs 4 lbs itself and according to Givi, it has a carry limit of 13 lbs. All together a lot heavier than I anticipated, I'm just going to try something else.

The difference between cbr250r rack and cbr300r rack mounts:

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
... It is possible to make it fit with some grinding/cutting but I don't want to weaken its point of attachment to the frame.
I sure wouldn't remove any part of the rack bracket. Hard to tell what would be involved from your photos, but it seems like you'd be far better off trimming the rear cowls to fit around the rack brackets... after all they are just plastic, and wouldn't affect anything structurally.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I managed to get the Givi rack *mostly* installed on my 300F. I had to trim the black part of the inner fairing to the rear of the mounting bolt hole, however the rack is still so wide that I can't get the fairing mounting bolts in and the fairings are pushed out about 1/4" on each side so there is a gap between the seat and the red part of the fairing where you can see the black plastic.

I plan on going back later to trim some more of the inner fairing to improve the fit, but unless you were specifically looking for the gap it doesn't look out of place. The rack is a snug enough that there's no rattling and the pillion seat is still perfectly usable.

Best of all, the rack holds my Givi top case perfectly and makes commuting a breeze.

I've attached a few pictures, sorry for how dirty she is, it's been very rainy the past few weeks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I managed to get the Givi rack *mostly* installed on my 300F. I had to trim the black part of the inner fairing to the rear of the mounting bolt hole, however the rack is still so wide that I can't get the fairing mounting bolts in and the fairings are pushed out about 1/4" on each side so there is a gap between the seat and the red part of the fairing where you can see the black plastic.

I plan on going back later to trim some more of the inner fairing to improve the fit, but unless you were specifically looking for the gap it doesn't look out of place. The rack is a snug enough that there's no rattling and the pillion seat is still perfectly usable.

Best of all, the rack holds my Givi top case perfectly and makes commuting a breeze.

I've attached a few pictures, sorry for how dirty she is, it's been very rainy the past few weeks.
Certainly no need for apologies... it is your bike. That bit of road grim just shows that it's not a garage queen.

While I understand the practicality and usefulness of those Givi top cases, I have to say it does nothing for the appearance of the bike it's mounted on.

I much prefer using a soft tail bag for the things I need to carry on my CBR250R. This is the OGIO Stealth Tail Bag...

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Rim

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Car Auto part

·
Registered
8 Posts
Certainly no need for apologies... it is your bike. That bit of road grim just shows that it's not a garage queen.

While I understand the practicality and usefulness of those Givi top cases, I have to say it does nothing for the appearance of the bike it's mounted on.

I much prefer using a soft tail bag for the things I need to carry on my CBR250R. This is the OGIO Stealth Tail Bag...

View attachment 15369

View attachment 15361
I can't argue about the looks, but the ability to secure it and walk away while parked in the city can't be beat. The monolock setup allows me to remove it easily when I'm not commuting. I plan on adding a wind screen and hand guards as well for better weather protection and to complete the mini-touring look, lol.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
When (if?) a topbox rack for the CBR300R is available, I'll be near the front of the queue. I've put a topbox on most of the bikes I've owned. Having secure luggage space is fantastic for the type of riding I do, which usually involves carrying camera equipment or a laptop and work-related paraphernalia. I don't like to ride wearing a backpack because my arthritis makes getting the darn things on and off a real hassle.

An alternative is soft luggage, but though I would never leave anything expensive in there and walk away, I still prefer something a bit more robust.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I agree that a soft tail bag looks better, but can't beat the practicality of a rear trunk.
Boo to Honda for not making a rear rack for the 300s. Are the Honda bosses sleeping?
There you go Michael, no sign of a genuine top box yet.

Honda CBR300R Luggage | Ventura MCA
These guys offer a few racks and a top box with a mount as well.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
... I don't like to ride wearing a backpack because my arthritis makes getting the darn things on and off a real hassle.

An alternative is soft luggage, but though I would never leave anything expensive in there and walk away, I still prefer something a bit more robust.
Yeah, I won't ride on the street with a backpack either. I wear full leather jacket and pants, which are heavy enough without adding more weight onto my back. For off road & D/S riding I'll use a Camelbak pack with a water reservoir, but then my off road riding gear doesn't weight anywhere near as much as my street leathers.

Nice thing about soft luggage is that it's easy to remove it from the bike and take it with you into a motel, etc. when on a road trip.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Thanks. I'll look into that ventura stuff. The ebay thing doesn't ship to Canada.
Michael
I am sure if you ask them, they will ship to Canada. Although I have found postage can be quite expensive nowadays posting to my friends in BC.
If you are really stuck I can always get it and post to you, payment up front of course :)

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts