Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new 300R for AU$4,990 ride away from Springwood Honda, just south of Brisbane. Good service, too.

I would have been interested in the 300F but, while the deal is in play, they were $1,800 or so more expensive.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I bought mine in february in north Brisbane for 5600 ride away with 12months rego. sounds like you got a really good deal

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I assume that the "ride away" price is the same thing as "drive out" price or "out the door" price?

Something new I learned... :laugh:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry to be a pedant, but being a Brit who moved to Oz, I often find myself answering questions about the equivalent cost in GBP or AUD. However, I don't like just doing the conversion because that doesn't represent real cost, not least because exchange rates can fluctuate dramatically. The better view, though still tricky to do, is to compare what proportion of an 'average wage' is required to purchase the thing in each country. This gives a much better and more meaningful measure, unless you're planning to import something.

The tricky part is finding out what the average wage is - we all know the problems associated with 'averages' and there is also the problem of finding a reliable source. However, even saying all that, this method is much better than simply converting.

For example: the average weekly wage in the UK is GBP26,500 (noting the above caveats) while a new CBR300R costs GBP3,999. This represents 15% of the average wage. The average wage in Oz is AUD76,804 while my CBR300R cost me AUD4,990, or just 6.5% of the average wage. This means that, for practical purposes, the bike cost less than half what it would have cost me in the UK.

Doing the same thing for the US, the bike cost around 15.5% of the average wage, so similar to the UK. Looks like we're getting a great deal here in Oz!

However, I couldn't find any 'deals' in the UK or US, so it might be possible to buy one substantially cheaper. Also, some roles pay better in different countries, so an even better measure for personal comparison would be to find out what your job pays in the other country.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
That wage is unbelievable as I've worked in Australia for a **** of a lot less! I did google it to confirm tho before going off half cocked...All sites say at least 70K .
Apparently the figure is pushed up by a group of high flyers earning crazy money.

Over the ditch here in NZ it's 55K (again, I would well happy to be earning that!) And the 300R retails for 7K. So its about 13% of your yearly earnings.

I've heard Aussie referred to as 'the lucky land' before. Now I know why!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
.....Over the ditch here in NZ it's 55K (again, I would well happy to be earning that!) And the 300R retails for 7K. So its about 13% of your yearly earnings.

I've heard Aussie referred to as 'the lucky land' before. Now I know why!
Well, that's the problem with averages. Maybe we should use the median or something, but I'm not a mathemagician so don't know.

The other important factor is income taxes, which vary significantly country to country, so perhaps an even better measure would be % of take-home (net) pay, or even better still, a proportion of disposable income after all the necessities have been paid for.

I've got a headache.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
You know.. I really have to wonder about the resale value of the 300R. At the moment here in Canada Honda is discounting a non-ABS CBR 300 R by $700.00 to $3999 Canadian. Special Offer

Also this above price is @ 1.9% for 3 years. So anyone who paid full price for their 300 R before the discounts must be a bit P.O'd because these type of offers only kill the resale value of the model......your thoughts???

Laurie..

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Long-term resale prices will only be seriously affected if the current deals remain in place for a long time. If they are in place for just a few months and then prices go back to where they were, you should be fine unless you sell soon.

Frankly, unless these things turn out to have significant reliability issues, they must represent one of the two-wheeled bargains of all time while the deals are available.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
So true.......I really liked the R 3 I took out 2 weeks ago...but with the discounts and the lower interest rate...the 300 R is cheaper by $1000......so I am leaning towards that. Also I enjoy watching Moto 3 and the WEE BR reminds me alot of those bikes..more so than the R 3

Laurie:)

·
Registered
282 Posts
The problem here guys is that there are lies, **** lies and statistics. But it does make you wonder what the true value of a motorcycle is.
I have just purchased a winter bike project from a guy who restores MotoGuzzi and he was telling me he build a particular model for a guy on Papua who paid him £15.000, nice work if you can get it! He further passed it on to a guy in Aus who paid him twice as much so much for supply and demand hey?
Is the world being taken over by speculators? beets putting your money in a pension scheme though don't it?
Now where did I put that old piece of Italian shite that kept breaking down on me?
Classic, vintage, one careful owner pile of old crap £loads of wonga to you old son:angel:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Before buying the CBR3R, I planned to restore a 1970s bike. I didn't necessarily want a 'classic' that would make some money, just something that was mostly complete, that I could take my time with.

I subsequently found that, to many sellers, anything made in the 70s was collectible and - allegedly - highly sought-after. This included bikes that were never ever going to be truly valuable. Consequently, after laughing in the face of a number of very optimistic sellers, I gave up.

I didn't mind paying a fair price, but I wanted to at least know that, when I was finished, the bike would be worth what I'd invested in it. All the sellers wanted daft prices on the basis that the decrepit CB250 in their shed would be worth a fortune once all the rust had been removed, everything rechromed or painted, the seized engine rebuilt, the missing seat replaced and the dented tank fixed.

Why, you could end up with a 45yo 250cc commuter for barely more than the price of a new Fireblade....... ;)

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Ah yes, the murky world of bike restorations... theres a lot of vintage bikes out there that will never be a classic except in the eyes of the seller.
I had a crack at it once buying a 1977 Ducati 900SD kick start model. Paid 4.5K for the bike then spent that again doing up the motor (rings and bearings, head work, new carbs, custom made stainless steel replica pipes etc) but apart from powder coating the wheels it still looked like a rough bike even though it now went and rode really well.
I had learnt a lot out of it and had lots of enjoyable miles on the bike, but at this stage decided to sell it as I realised I was going to have to spend another 5K to get it lookin like a fully restored bike.
I did come away a confirmed Ducati fan tho and went on to purchase another one as my next bike.
So, what does all that have to do with the thread topic?
Absolutely nothing as usual! :laugh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts