Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Just checking in as a new owner of a brand new CBR300 (no-abs).

This is my first bike and I believe I scored a good deal. Honda apparently has a bunch of rebates right now so I got the bike for $3441 CAD. (That's $2650 USD with today's exchange rate.)
I also received 2 years manufacture's warranty with the current promo as well. (Canada had a lot of government fees and taxes that got added on top as well as a small admin/licensing fee to bring me out the door all in at $4440 CAD)
I pick it up Friday and have to get my license between now and then. Here's to an exciting new hobby!

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
@CDNHONDAR :laugh:

Congrats, btw.
Fanatic..OTD price depends on what Province bike is sold. My Province has 15% Sales Tax (Gasp) highest in Canada. Also a dealer in a big city will sell more product than a dealer in my small Town. Great deal above that I doubt very much I could get (that good) living here in Nova Scotia. But I hear ya!

Congrats Motoky.

Reactions: Fanatic

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Welcome to the forum Motoky and the world of motorcycling!
That is an amazing deal. The 300R retails here in New Zealand for $7K which is a touch over 6K Canadian. So that's about $1600 cheaper.
Great for you, enjoy your riding.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lucky you! I bought my CBR300R in the UK "nearly new" as they say. In effect it's a new bike, but it'd done only 1800 miles.
The main Honda dealer knew me (bought 3 other bikes of them previously) & said..."would you want a smaller sportbike but with £1000 knocked off the list price"? I said deal!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys thanks. Today I got my M1 and insurance. I'm 28 and this will be my first time on a street bike. Insurance was not a great deal lol.

I pick it up in the morning. I've been reading and learning for about a year now. I had nothing wrong on any of the three tests (signs, road rules, motorcycle techniques) and my dad is going to ride along me on his BMW 1600 on my first tour tomorrow. I feel confident that I will adapt quickly.

I hope to get 2-3 years on this bike before upgrading and I believe I will lose very little at the time of resale.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Hey guys thanks. Today I got my M1 and insurance. I'm 28 and this will be my first time on a street bike. Insurance was not a great deal lol.

I pick it up in the morning. I've been reading and learning for about a year now. I had nothing wrong on any of the three tests (signs, road rules, motorcycle techniques) and my dad is going to ride along me on his BMW 1600 on my first tour tomorrow. I feel confident that I will adapt quickly.

I hope to get 2-3 years on this bike before upgrading and I believe I will lose very little at the time of resale.
I hope your right on the re-sale. I tried to trade up my 250R to the 300R with my dealer and he offered me $2500 less than I had paid for it exactly a year earlier, and it was in mint condition. Had to sell it privately in the end to get a fair (ish) price.
So don't have too higher hopes and then you wont be disappointed. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey kiwi, your right. I have lowered my expectations after looking at used ones. I typically sell everything privately since the Delearship has to make money on top of what you get, and that's not their only cost to sell it. It's fair, but more convenient the good value.

120km on the bike now. Pretty happy overall since I don't have likes / dislikes based on other bikes. One issue I do have is the mirrors do not extend out far enough. Either the mirrors point too much towards the sides of the road, or if they are covering the road properly but my arms are taking a good portion of the reflection. I can easily pull my elbow to my side tightly to see everything, but it would be nice not to have to do this. I guess I'll do some reading about this issue.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
In the UK they retail for £4299 on the road with abs. I got £400 off the price when I brought mine.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Hey kiwi, your right. I have lowered my expectations after looking at used ones. I typically sell everything privately since the Delearship has to make money on top of what you get, and that's not their only cost to sell it. It's fair, but more convenient the good value.

120km on the bike now. Pretty happy overall since I don't have likes / dislikes based on other bikes. One issue I do have is the mirrors do not extend out far enough. Either the mirrors point too much towards the sides of the road, or if they are covering the road properly but my arms are taking a good portion of the reflection. I can easily pull my elbow to my side tightly to see everything, but it would be nice not to have to do this. I guess I'll do some reading about this issue.
For me.. I have found that if I remove the stock mirrors (use plates to cover over the mirror location) and use "bar end" mirrors. Much better visibility.
CBR 1000RR 900RR 600RR F4 F4I 929RR 954RR Polished Mirror Block OFF Offs Plates | eBay

Black Handle BAR END Mirror ZX6R R1 R6 GSXR CBR 600 F2 F4 FZ6 SV ZX7R CB FZ1 6R | eBay

above examples only...

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
For me.. I have found that if I remove the stock mirrors (use plates to cover over the mirror location) and use "bar end" mirrors. Much better visibility.
CBR 1000RR 900RR 600RR F4 F4I 929RR 954RR Polished Mirror Block OFF Offs Plates | eBay

Black Handle BAR END Mirror ZX6R R1 R6 GSXR CBR 600 F2 F4 FZ6 SV ZX7R CB FZ1 6R | eBay

above examples only...
+1
Pics of CBR blanking plates and fitted mirror. You can get way cooler mirrors than my trad round one tho :D

Fitted to both sides looks quite cool too. I'm a minimalist.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so this is the price tag on the bike.

Retail is $4,699 CAD here. Our dollar is relatively low currently so the price I paid, when comparing currencies, seems like one of the best prices paid for the bike. :)

I'm keeping it in mint condition in my garage and storing it in a heated shop for the winter. I hope to upgrade the bike in about 2-3 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Kiwi that looks like a great solution.

I like the handlebar mirrors a lot. Would it be better or worse to put the turning signals on the back of those mirrors vs stock flashers?

I plan to get the rear seat delete. And am impressed with another thread here where under the tail was cleaned up and reduced. I don't really care about weight savings of removing rear passenger accessories, but the look is really cool.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Hey Kiwi that looks like a great solution.

I like the handlebar mirrors a lot. Would it be better or worse to put the turning signals on the back of those mirrors vs stock flashers?

I plan to get the rear seat delete. And am impressed with another thread here where under the tail was cleaned up and reduced. I don't really care about weight savings of removing rear passenger accessories, but the look is really cool.
If you don't like the stock flashers then it would be easier just to replace them with ones you do like (that's what I did) as it may be hard to source bar end mirrors with flashers on them. Unless of course you wanted to fit them yourself, I'm unsure of your skills etc.
Here's a pic of my bike with alternative flashers and mirrors removed from fairing.
I quite like the sleeker look myself, but I'm biased as all he11 of course! :laugh:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
+1
Pics of CBR blanking plates and fitted mirror. You can get way cooler mirrors than my trad round one tho :D
Do you find that the bar end mirrors provide a better view of what's behind? Mostly, I see my elbows in the standard mirrors. Here in Oz, it's pretty important to know who and what's behind you, and hopefully guess what they're going to do next........

·
Registered
447 Posts
That price sounds outstanding. This is the time of year you can often make the best deals on new bikes with new models coming out, even though that may not be the case here. It may be related to the end of the riding year and slowing down of sales too. The best deal I ever made on a bike was when I bought a 2011 gsx-1000 in Jan, 2013, when very few people were buying motorcycles. The bike had sat at the dealer over a year and the 2013 models were coming out. Kawasaki seems to offer the most rebates, often on bikes that haven't been out very long. My CB300F mirrors work as good as any bike I've owned...the Ninja 250 and 300 had the worst mirrors for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So although I would like to make my bike look like yours kiwi, I think I'm just going to leave it stock and save for a bigger bike. I love the fuel efficiency and how nimble the bike feels. But I am not liking how much I need to shift and how it handles in a cross wind. Being 6'1" tall I am hoping a larger framed bike will be more comfortable too.

The catch is the insurance is likely way to much to grow out of this bike anytime soon. The time will allow me to chose which type of bike style I want to move into next. The attention a sporty bike gets is awesome though!!

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Do you find that the bar end mirrors provide a better view of what's behind? Mostly, I see my elbows in the standard mirrors. Here in Oz, it's pretty important to know who and what's behind you, and hopefully guess what they're going to do next........
Absolutely, that's their main benefit other than the styling preference.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts