Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple of weeks ago I lost my balance pulling into a view point with a gravel surface and dropped the bike on it's right hand side. Possibly going a bit fast? Possibly locked up the rear wheel? Yes and yes :eek:

The middle fairing bore the brunt of the topple and was cracked in two places with deep scratches. The RH indicator was broken as well but I'm going to re-fit the OEM ones for sale so no bother there. Apart from that there was only some real minor scratches in places. I'm impressed with the crash resistance of these bikes.

Anyways, no point crying over spilt milk so I approached my dealer regarding the cost of new right hand side middle fairing. I was pleasantly surprised to find it would only be $180 ($124USD at todays rate).
I'm sure you can get them cheaper in other countries but nothing is cheap in far flung New Zealand. The dealer assured me that it would have cost me a lot more if it was a CBR600 or 1000.
So far things haven't gone well as when the new middle fairing arrived it was for the left hand side. The correct one is on it's way and I'm hoping the color match is reasonable when it arrives.

View attachment 27818

View attachment 27826

View attachment 27834

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Kiwi Rider, Yuk....but man that coulda been allot worse! The price for the new panel isn't bad at all. Hope the match is good....the manufactures seem to have a way good handle on that stuff these days. The scratched panel will make a good wall hanger as it has a story to tell.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oh man that has to be frustrating. Sounds like you were okay though? That's the important part!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Oh darn. Well, at least you're OK and it's not a major damage, as you say.
If your bike would be blue in colour this wouldn't happen, ya know ;)

This morning I found my CB lying on its right side. The poor girl spent the whole
night in this undignified position. There was some VERY strong wind last evening/night.
Picking it up was not that easy. Man, I'm glad my bike is not any heavier.
I didn't have time to check for any damage; except for the obvious hole punched by the handlebar through the bike cover. It fell on wet lawn, so there shouldn't be any damage. I hope.. I took the scooter to work today. It's great to have a choice.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Holy Smokes..I am glad that you are OK. I hope the new body panels match..hopefully your original body panels are not faded very much.

·
Premium Member
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was completely unscratched and never actually left my feet. Just a bit peeved...

@Michael B. Hope you dont find any damage, should be OK landing on such a soft surface. Those rubber mounted indicators are nice and flexible, good design. Back in the eighties the indicators were the first thing to punch a hole through the fairing whenever the bike went over.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Bugger. Arse. Etc.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
... This morning I found my CB lying on its right side. The poor girl spent the whole night in this undignified position. There was some VERY strong wind last evening/night.
Picking it up was not that easy. Man, I'm glad my bike is not any heavier.
I didn't have time to check for any damage; except for the obvious hole punched by the handlebar through the bike cover. It fell on wet lawn, so there shouldn't be any damage. I hope.. I took the scooter to work today. It's great to have a choice.
Yeah, a downside of using a bike cover outdoors is that if strong winds come up, the cover tends to act like a sail or parachute which can overcome a lighter bike. Best practice would be to not use the cover in high wind conditions, and if you can, park the bike in a spot protected from the direct wind.

Reactions: atown8605

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Sorry to hear this @kiwi rider. At least all you're fixing is a broken bike fairing. Glad you are O.K.
Why would you think the color might be off? If you're getting it from Honda it will be OEM. Do you think your other fairings have faded in color over the past couple years?
Maybe it's time to get out the detailing compounds. Some Polish and Cleaner Wax to bring back that brand new shine.

I started reading without looking at the username. Further down in the comments I saw someone reference "kiwi" so I looked to see who the OP was. You are a very experienced rider so it just goes to show it can happen to any of us at any time. That's why good gear should be always used.

·
Premium Member
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would you think the color might be off? If you're getting it from Honda it will be OEM. Do you think your other fairings have faded in color over the past couple years?
Maybe it's time to get out the detailing compounds. Some Polish and Cleaner Wax to bring back that brand new shine.
Yeah I was thinking the other panels may have faded a bit as Ive had the bike two and half years. It's been garaged but its spent nearly 30,000km out on the road in the sun and weather.
Like you say, I may need to break out the polish.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Yeah I was thinking the other panels may have faded a bit as Ive had the bike two and half years. It's been garaged but its spent nearly 30,000km out on the road in the sun and weather.
Eh you can only see 1 side at a time anyway lol

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yeah, a downside of using a bike cover outdoors is that if strong winds come up, the cover tends to act like a sail or parachute which can overcome a lighter bike. Best practice would be to not use the cover in high wind conditions, and if you can, park the bike in a spot protected from the direct wind.

The bike is parked behind the house, right by the wall, so it cannot be in a more protected space save for a garage (which I don't have :(). I realized the main reason why it happened. OE, of course. The bike was standing too upright due to the tires sinking into the wet lawn; thus the wind didn't have that much work to knock it over. Nothing happened to the bike, except for the need to reposition the right mirror. Yesterday afternoon I removed the concrete pad the bike stand leans against and removed more soil from underneath, so the bike has more lean now. Sometimes we learn the hard way, eh?

·
Premium Member
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Got the new RH side panel this week and have just put the two side by side. Colour match looks pretty OK actually, shouldnt be too obvious hopefully. The one on the right is the new one.

Chance to give all those hard to reach parts of the motor a clean too. :)

·
Premium Member
5,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The color looks like a perfect match to me in the photo. Your bike looks really clean. I know what you mean about the engine. I detailed mine a lil while ago. You should have no problem selling that as a primo OEM bike.

btw: did the CBR sticker come on the panel? or was it included separate and you put it on?
Comes with decal. You just have to unscrew the black plastic backing plate off your old one and transfer it over. Assuming that part is not broken, which mine wasnt.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You should NEVER ask a photographer if two items are the same colour. In their world, that never happens. :D

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
You should NEVER ask a photographer if two items are the same colour. In their world, that never happens. :D
In the case of Honda OEM replacement body panels, they are painted alongside the same body panels used on the assembly lines, and given that Honda (like other OEM's) uses state of the art automotive paint mixing equipment & technology, the end result is an exact match to the original factory color.

Of course there is no way to compensate for normal weathering of original paint over time. But in kiwi's side by side photo, it's difficult to see a difference in the brightness of the Red paint on those two panels.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
In the case of Honda OEM replacement body panels, they are painted alongside the same body panels used on the assembly lines, and given that Honda (like other OEM's) uses state of the art automotive paint mixing equipment & technology, the end result is an exact match to the original factory color.

Of course there is no way to compensate for normal weathering of original paint over time. But in kiwi's side by side photo, it's difficult to see a difference in the brightness of the Red paint on those two panels.
When you have spent years processing photographs, both in the old film and transparency days and more recently applying the magic that is Photoshop (which also involves the mysteries and torments of computer monitor colour calibration), I can assure you that you get to a point where you can detect minute differences in colour and shade. Other members on here who are serious hobbyist photogs and use Photoshop to any significant degree will back me up.

I recently had a stand-up row with a car repair shop that had repainted part of my car after a small collision. The bumper was a completely different shade of white compared to the rest of the car. Now I accept you can't get a perfect match in such circumstances but, to me, they were night and day different. He insisted they were a good match. Eventually, I consulted my wife and son who were with me and they said the guy was right - it was a match. I still look at the darn bumper every day and mutter darkly, but nobody else ever notices.

:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts