Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
... I recently had a stand-up row with a car repair shop that had repainted part of my car after a small collision. The bumper was a completely different shade of white compared to the rest of the car. Now I accept you can't get a perfect match in such circumstances but, to me, they were night and day different. He insisted they were a good match. Eventually, I consulted my wife and son who were with me and they said the guy was right - it was a match. I still look at the darn bumper every day and mutter darkly, but nobody else ever notices.
:)
I have no doubt that there was a slight difference in the paint on your car bumper... I too notice things like that. Some of us have a more discerning eye for minute shades of color, where others don't see it unless it is way off and obvious.

It's a fairly common result when paint is mixed in a small batch by a body shop. While some solid colors can be difficult to get a perfect match, many metallic colors are even tougher to match when mixed in small batches and only a couple body panels are re-painted.

The point I was making in my previous post, was that Honda OEM replacement body panels are painted with the same batch of paint as the body panels used on the assembly lines.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My bike was recently blown over also. Perks of living in windy Wellington.
Overall it didn't take much damage but it broke a part off the top of the left fairing.
Do you know where they sourced your fairing from Kiwi? Or anyone else ordered one from an external site?

I went to the place I bought my bike from and they are saying the fairing is gonna be north of 500 :/

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Overall it didn't take much damage but it broke a part off the top of the left fairing.
Do you know where they sourced your fairing from Kiwi? Or anyone else ordered one from an external site?

I went to the place I bought my bike from and they are saying the fairing is gonna be north of 500 :/
Did you buy your bike from a Honda dealer? That's a crazy price quote for a side fairing... OEM parts are relatively inexpensive for these CBR's, and in most instances cost less than aftermarket parts.

Kiwi rider's replacement fairing is an OEM Honda part, so it would have been ordered through an authorized Honda dealer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Did you buy your bike from a Honda dealer? That's a crazy price quote for a side fairing... OEM parts are relatively inexpensive for these CBR's, and in most instances cost less than aftermarket parts.

Kiwi rider's replacement fairing is an OEM Honda part, so it would have been ordered through an authorized Honda dealer.
Yeah it was an official Honda dealer. I was told that price over the phone though.
They did an official look over for a possible insurance claim yesterday.
They are gonna send me the sheet with the costs tomorrow, at which point i can verify how much it will be.

I found one site called asian-motoparts that has fairings for about 72USD but dunno if the site is legit or not.
I'll get back to you guys on the total costs of it tomorrow when they send me damages(damages in 2 senses haha)

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

It was through my local Honda Dealer in Invercargill and the price was $180 NZD. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There is some fluctuation between Dealers depending on their mark up percentage but it shouldn't be more than $20 either way.
The fairing was in stock in Auckland warehouse but they come from the factory in Thailand where our bikes are made.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Pleasant surprise today when they told me it would be 162$ for the LH fairing and the cowl.
Sadly damage was done to the front fairing that i didn't notice which is ramping up my repair costs.

Will have to see what my insurance company is willing to fix as to whether i buy the parts myself or claim.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
$162 is a great price. I went into the Rotorua dealer the day after my incident to price mine up as I wanted to know how much I was up for. He quoted me $204. So there is a fair bit of dealer variation there.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Here in the US, the middle cowls are less than $60 USD from Partzilla.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here in the US, the middle cowls are less than $60 USD from Partzilla.
The flip side of living in a scenic, low populated country with great motorcycling roads and long distance from North Korea is that you get shafted on Motorcycle part prices.
Cant have it all I guess. :D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The flip side of living in a scenic, low populated country with great motorcycling roads and long distance from North Korea is that you get shafted on Motorcycle part prices.
Cant have it all I guess. :D
You think that they're BOTH great? :devil:

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
11 Posts
Avoid gravel at all costs on a sport bike 😆😆

Went down 1 too many times due to hidden gravel at low and high speeds. The sport bikes just don't do well on slippery rocks. Florida doesn't clean their roads up well. Right and left side damage. Scratches all the way down the stock muffler. Although I have an arrow gp2 currently on it.
20201030_213525.jpg
20201030_213525.jpg
20201030_213525.jpg
20201030_213517.jpg
20201030_213508.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
In Florida so there's nothing I can do but follow the 4 d's. Dip, dodge, dive and dodge. The road construction and clean up in general sucks or is non existent. On top of poorly light roads, makes for fun riding every night.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Shame about the fairings but a great excuse to ditch the turd of a stock muffler. That's gotta be the ugliest, heaviest stock muffler ever fitted to a sub 500cc bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Eh the fairings are just plastic. I was more annoyed I scratched the engine and you can't even actually tell. I'm probably the only one the notices it but drives me insane.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts