Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just got a 300F. I have a 500X and I was struck by how hard the ride is on the F, particularly in the rear. Have I just forgotten what smaller bikes are like? Or can we expect it to loosen up with mileage? Makes my X seem like a Cadillac. I have set the rear pre-load to the lowest setting. Any opinions?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
The 300 has 4.07" of rear wheel travel and the 500 has 4.70" so not much in it there, maybe the 500 is just more softly sprung.
There's nothing you can do to change it without spending serious money on aftermarket shocks and then you have to find one that fits.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I thought it was on the hard side too, but all the complaints I've read says the bikes are too soft, so I figure it's a sports bike thing. Short wheelbase would add to that as well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My wife just got a 300F. I have a 500X and I was struck by how hard the ride is on the F, particularly in the rear. Have I just forgotten what smaller bikes are like? Or can we expect it to loosen up with mileage? Makes my X seem like a Cadillac. I have set the rear pre-load to the lowest setting. Any opinions?

As stated by kiwi, it could just be a stiffer spring that needs to be swapped for a lighter one.

Changing springs isn't difficult, it's just tedious. I've had to change the springs on the last 4 bikes I had because I'm a fat ass, so I have a bit of experience.

Usually you can do a spring swap without removing the swingarm, depending on the design of the bike (My DR650 and KLX250 were easy. My WR250X wasn't). With this one, it'd probably be best to remove the lower cowl, and complete exhaust (replace your crush washers!) and put it on a bike stand like this

Using a stand like that allows you to use your tie downs to secure the bike to the stand so you can manipulate your swing arm up and down to facilitate removal/installation of the shock

After removing the shock, you can remove and swap the spring pretty easily

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
... With this one, it'd probably be best to remove the lower cowl, and complete exhaust (replace your crush washers!) and put it on a bike stand... Using a stand like that allows you to use your tie downs to secure the bike to the stand so you can manipulate your swing arm up and down to facilitate removal/installation of the shock...
Another option, which doesn't require an expensive lift, is to lag a couple heavy duty "eye" bolts into your garage ceiling joists* and then use a couple tie down straps to suspend the rear of the bike so that the tire is just off the floor, which will then allow you to remove the shock.

I've used this method to suspend the front end of the bike off the floor in order to remove one of the forks so I could replace a leaking fork seal. Also works well for removing the front wheel from the bike when doing a front tire change (I only have a rear wheel paddock stand for my CBR).

* Obviously, your garage would need to have robust ceiling joists to support the extra weight, and also make sure that the holes drilled for the eye bolts are of the right size so that the eye bolts cannot be pulled out by the weight of the bike.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I guess it's all relative. I feel like the factory setting of 2 on the preload was pretty soft. I notched it up to 4 because I felt like the bike was going to catapult me over the handlebars if I went too fast over a bump.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another option, which doesn't require an expensive lift, is to lag a couple heavy duty "eye" bolts into your garage ceiling joists* and then use a couple tie down straps to suspend the rear of the bike so that the tire is just off the floor, which will then allow you to remove the shock.

I've used this method to suspend the front end of the bike off the floor in order to remove one of the forks so I could replace a leaking fork seal. Also works well for removing the front wheel from the bike when doing a front tire change (I only have a rear wheel paddock stand for my CBR).

* Obviously, your garage would need to have robust ceiling joists to support the extra weight, and also make sure that the holes drilled for the eye bolts are of the right size so that the eye bolts cannot be pulled out by the weight of the bike.
Excellent suggestion. I've lived in apartments for so long, with no access to a garage, that I completely overlook things like that. :(

I'm at the very start of the process for buying my first home (and it will **** well have a garage) so I plan to park outside and make my garage my dream room, lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
With less than 400 miles on my 300F I've noticed this problem too. On less than smooth pavement my vision blurs and that sucks as viewing the scenery is much of the pleasure for me. I tried a seat pad and it helped make my butt more comfortable on the seat but at the time I hadn't noticed the vision problem and then took the pad off and don't have it with me now so I can't test if it will help right now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's a surprisingly hard ride, and my 240lb body doesn't seem to affect the rigidity of the suspension, so for someone who weighs less, I can imagine it doesn't soften a thing. It does get a little softer after a while, I started noticing that around 600 miles, but not nearly enough. It affects my vision as well on quite a bit of my commute. I don't know how much taking it from the stock 4 to 5 setting would change things, but I'll ask my shop to do it next time I take it in. Not sure I want to swap out springs for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Mroy. I'm thinking better/soft tires might help. These are hard as a rock at their suggested PSI. Ask your dealer and I'll ask mine as well.

·
Banned
777 Posts
the cb500x actually has 5.5" travel, and feels as soft as a rebel.
perhaps the store model had the cbr300r suspension set harder than the 300f, but i thought it was okay.
not the best, but not as bad as the cbr250, and ninja 250s.

Sometimes you don't immediately feel the suspension until you ride it for a few miles. especially those that like to ride longer rides.
the klr650, and cb500x both have very comfortable suspensions

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
the cb500x actually has 5.5" travel, and feels as soft as a rebel.
perhaps the store model had the cbr300r suspension set harder than the 300f, but i thought it was okay.
not the best, but not as bad as the cbr250, and ninja 250s.
Powersports Honda disagrees with you Meelee, see link below

2014 CB500X Specifications - Honda Powersports

How can the 300R suspension feel 'not as bad as the cbr250' when they have identical suspension??

·
Registered
130 Posts
Powersports Honda disagrees with you Meelee, see link below

2014 CB500X Specifications - Honda Powersports

How can the 300R suspension feel 'not as bad as the cbr250' when they have identical suspension??
Because Meelee has no idea what they're talking about.

My Matchless has 24" of travel. It's like riding on a pillow.

See, we can all do it if we don't let facts or truth get in the way!

·
Registered
96 Posts

My Matchless has 24" of travel. It's like riding on a pillow.

See, we can all do it if we don't let facts or truth get in the way!
My girlfriend's bike has 0 inches of suspension. It's like riding a Sybian. She loves it! (my electric bill is CRAZY high though)

I mean...if we're getting off-track we may as well go way off track

·
Banned
777 Posts
My mistake, got my numbers from googling a wrong website.
The suspension travel on the CB500x is higher than the CB500F or CB500R.

The cbr250 I rode was a lot harder than the CB300F I tested in the store,
Travel may be the same, but my impression was that the 250R was a lot harder (by my butt-dyno).
May have been set to a harder setting, but the CBR250R stock had a terrible hard suspension, which felt more like rubber dampers, than a real suspension.

crazyjack, learn to write English before you try to ridicule someone...

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Banned
777 Posts
no centerstand?? no problem. take the pegs off and swap them to the opposite side. the fold down not up. put a jackstand under each one. back wheel comes off the ground. just strap it to something to keep it from falling over. to take front wheel off just hang something off the back to weight it down.

Shock swap in general and SV650 in particular - Page 3 - PNW Riders where I got the idea
For things like swapping out a rear wheel, or the sprocket or chain, I just put the bike on the side stand peg, handlebars to the left, and put a car jack under the right swingarm, balancing the bike between sidestand peg, front wheel and jack.
I also have a log of wood, cut at a certain size, to support the jack, in case the jack would slip, so the bike won't fall over.

Thankfully that has never happened before.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks all for your input. Glad to see I was not the only one who thought it was hard. Oddly, my wife did not complain about that. I don't think we'll get into changing shocks or springs. Otherwise it is a sweet little bike. I took it out today and was surprised by how well it went on the highway, especially with significant winds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts