Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only had my CBR300 for couple of weeks and put 350km on the clock already, had it since 1km. Everything is awesome about the bike, except I've noticed its quite hard to get into 1st gear when I come to a stop at lights. I'll be sitting there, clutch in trying to shift down while stopped and it just wont go in. Sometimes if I rock the bike back and forth it'll go in, but a lot of the time I'm having to pull away in 2nd.

Anyone else experienced that?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Release the clutch lever and pull it back in again, then shift into 1st.

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Yeah the box on my 300 doesn't seem as slick as the 250 was but the technique tilac mentions helps. There's been a few other people mention gearbox glitches on this site as well.
I'm just lucky I don't have to ride in city traffic and stop at lights.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I thought this was strange too, as this was my first bike, but talking to others I found it to be a common occurance in bikes due to the nature of the gearboxes. The transmission wants to be rolling when it changes gear. I would suggest downshifting into first before you come to a stop. If you're moving, it should drop down no problem. It will also help to slow you down without wearing on your brakes. If you are coming to a stop rather quickly you can drop it to first before you stop but keep the clutch in until you set off again

·
Registered
295 Posts
I thought this was strange too, as this was my first bike, but talking to others I found it to be a common occurance in bikes due to the nature of the gearboxes. The transmission wants to be rolling when it changes gear. I would suggest downshifting into first before you come to a stop. If you're moving, it should drop down no problem. It will also help to slow you down without wearing on your brakes. If you are coming to a stop rather quickly you can drop it to first before you stop but keep the clutch in until you set off again
Good tip.
From experience i've discovered that you basically just have to know your bike very well, getting your whole way of riding down to a science if you can.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes, mine also did not like to go from N to 1st and I would roll the bike slightly forward or backward to get it into 1st gear. Then when I had 2000 miles on the bike, it suddenly started going into 1st gear from N. without any problem and that was 600 miles ago....it just wore in. What I have had on many bikes is difficulty getting the bike into N. It is easy to find N on this bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem

Having the same problem with mine. 300R is my 7th bike, never had this issue before. 700 miles so far, hope it wears in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Let the clutch lever out about half way or less (and hold it there), and then it will shift into any low gear perfectly (1, N or 2 can be problematic). From there you can fully engage the gear or disengage it if you're just waiting at a traffic light or something (but want to be in the correct gear).

·
Banned
777 Posts
Time for an oil change.
Recommended first oil change is immediately after you buy it, but most people still ride a bit on the oil that's in the crankcase; to get the engine broken into, and some of the metal filings loose.
It's meant to be replaced within just a few hundreds of km, as the bike is shipped with minimal oil, to prevent corrosion, etc...
The dealer might have just filled her up; without draining the factory crap first.

Aside from that, make sure you're moving slowly to easier get into first. Sometimes playing with the clutch helps as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
Time for an oil change.
Recommended first oil change is immediately after you buy it, but most people still ride a bit on the oil that's in the crankcase; to get the engine broken into, and some of the metal filings loose.
It's meant to be replaced within just a few hundreds of km, as the bike is shipped with minimal oil, to prevent corrosion, etc...
The dealer might have just filled her up; without draining the factory crap first

Aside from that, make sure you're moving slowly to easier get into first. Sometimes playing with the clutch helps as well.
Actually, these engines are filled to the proper level with regular Honda GN4 10W-30 motor oil right from the factory... it's not a so called 'break in' oil. And while dealers should be checking the oil level as part of the PDI, it's rare that they need to add oil to the crankcase (Honda has been building motorcycles long enough to know how to fill a crankcase with oil, and to do so with the correct type of oil).

Also the first oil & filter change is recommended at 600 miles (1000 km), not immediately after you buy the bike. If you did that, you'd then still need to do an oil change at 600 miles in order to remove the fine metal particles from the crankcase. That said, it is a good idea to change it out before that... 200 - 300 miles (300 - 500 km) is enough to get the internal parts to wear together.

To the OP's question, and as others have replied, these bikes are known to require a double clutch in order to shift from neutral to 1st gear when the bike is stationary. I've got 15,000 miles on my CBR250R, and it still requires a quick double clutch to drop into 1st gear... not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
it will 'wear in'.. meantime there are plenty of good riding
habits and options to avoid 1st gear difficulties..
[this is well covered in eg, cbr250r forum - search box]

firstly, first is a gear for starting from generally,
rather than part of the flow of gear changing
during general riding.. ie, its not necessary
to use first unless about to come to a stop..

you might prefer engine braking/slowing
approaching lights etc, including slow riding
in second or dropping into first for slower
final approach, when she will drop into first
without problem, ie, while still rolling
with 'everything' still moving..

using engine braking also develops the habit
[and skill] of co-ordinating throttle with changes,
again just normal downshifting, incl into first..

on the flat or esp downslope she will take off in second
no problems, requiring only appropriate extended revs
and slower smooth clutch take-up for that gear ratio..
so if you find yourself in second at a stop for some reason
and must take off to avoid being steamrollered etc,
just take off in second,, with extra revs held longer
and slower clutch release to suit second..

its similar to say, taking off in a car pulling a load..
the same gear but extra mass to move..
in second on your bike the formula is different
but the effects are the same.. more revs
and taking up weight - thru the higher gear..

if in doubt, go practice second gear starts
starting on a downslope..
then on the flat.. piece of cake..

if you change down to first as part of normal riding
technique then the problem of finding first
from stationary doesnt apply..

first thing to check if gears dont change nicely
is oil level, and possible oil change..

finally, dont stomp on the gear lever [!]
it wont help.. best method is gently..
the slightest little snick is often
all thats needed to enter first..
[or neutral]

finding first is like any other technique
and can be easily enhanced by deliberate
repetition in specific practice..

my 5 road hondas all had terrific gearboxes
which all felt 'tight' when new and not yet
become smoothed out by riding..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Only had my CBR300 for couple of weeks and put 350km on the clock already, had it since 1km. Everything is awesome about the bike, except I've noticed its quite hard to get into 1st gear when I come to a stop at lights. I'll be sitting there, clutch in trying to shift down while stopped and it just wont go in. Sometimes if I rock the bike back and forth it'll go in, but a lot of the time I'm having to pull away in 2nd.

Anyone else experienced that?
It must be a mechanical issue, both of my friends with cbr300 are having the same issues. I know it's not them because they are veteran riders with previous RaceReplica experience. In fact, after tacking in few thousand miles my friends cbr300 shifter started to improve. Good luck on your bike though. Maybe on your next change oil try changing oil type and brand to see if it can improve. Good luck.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes, it is well documented on this forum. I had issues with my CB300F too for the first 500 miles or so, then mine went away and now it goes into 1st easily. Others are still having problems. It's a pain, but there are some ways to get past it if you decide not to try and have the dealer fix it. rocking the bike forward or backward, and of course shifting into 1st before you stop and staying there with the clutch pulled in the whole time you are stopped at a light are two common ways to deal with it, not that these are ideal solutions. I stopped following the thread once mine self corrected. At least you can get it into N. Going from 1st to 2nd and not stopping on N when you want it to be in N is probably as common as this problem on some other models. I think the thread to follow is called problems or issues with the 300 or something like that. Rattles, and the bike sitting too upright when on the kickstand are 2 other common issues. Burning oil is another issue some have reported, but you should review that thread. I had all of those issues...still do except for the difficulty getting into 1st and I fixed my gas cap rattle temporarily at least.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My clutch wouldn't snap back so i took it in the shop and they adjusted it and now, it goes into neutral w/ no problem. Before that, getting into 1st was never an issue, at least for me. So maybe it was just a matter of time letting the bike break in properly?????

·
Super Moderator
3,009 Posts
My clutch wouldn't snap back so i took it in the shop and they adjusted it and now, it goes into neutral w/ no problem. Before that, getting into 1st was never an issue, at least for me. So maybe it was just a matter of time letting the bike break in properly?????
Sounds to me like your clutch cable free play was just way too loose.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
for basic adjustments such as levers etc
one good resource aside from utube etc
are search boxes on this and other
forums, esp cbr250r forum which
has been going for years, with heaps
of information and step by step
diy type feedback from members..

these are adjustable, levers..
for function and for personal