Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my car back from the shop today so I immediately pulled the 300 apart (again) this time for projectors. I love the look of a well done HID conversion and it's one of my favorite mods I've done to my Soul. 200F for 15 minutes seemed to work perfectly and with a little elbow grease & a medium sized flat screwdriver the assembly is open.

Housings will get the Plasti-Dip treatment before the projectors are installed for a nice matte black and durable appearance. Thinking about possibly integrating some turn signals.

I'll take pics as I put it all back together hopefully forming some sort of DIY by the end. Should be pretty sweet if it turns out half as well as the last set I did.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plasti-Dip right on the reflector is the same way I did the lights in my Soul and they still look like the day they were done almost a year later always parked outside so yes it should hold up great. I wanted to try Nightshades for the black chrome look, but it beaded on the reflector so I wiped it really quick and went to the tested stand-by.

The projectors are cheapys off eBay that I'm giving a shot. If they function horribly then I'll order some Morimotos and redo it. The only thing I'm really worried about at the moment is the projector being too long and hitting the lenses together during re-assembly.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I used a caliper to measure from the bulb seat to the plastic lens which said a Mini D2S would fit based on the TRS measurements. The tolerances are super tight and it barely aims high enough (but it does).

Let me know how the quality of the output is on the ebay projector.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Barely == perfect, no? Haha. Anyway, that's exactly how they fit in the CBR headlight: perfectly. Got some Amber LEDs hot glued in the corner light housings for turn signals. It's all coming together nicely.

Looks like an owl without the rest of the plastics, lmao. Time to bolt it all back together!

EDIT: Speaking of perfect, the turn signals worked quite amazingly. Can't wait to finish!

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Finally received a pair of working ballasts and got everything hooked up. Totally loving the setup, especially for the price paid.

$40 - projectors
$20 - bulbs & ballasts
$8 - Plasti-Dip
$11 - LED turn signal bulbs (last minute)
6 hours of labor

I will eventually upgrade to, and do recommend Morimotos bulbs and ballasts as they are definitely superior to any other I've seen. More than happy with the cheapy projectors though and will stick with them. Stay tuned for night pics in a couple hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No affect at all. The halogen reflector is no longer used for any light projection with the HID conversion so it can be any color without problem.

Overall light output is way up over stock because I run both bulbs for low beam now. Seems to be way more attention grabbing as well because I've had fewer close calls since the conversion.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Noticed the first problem today. When I said they were a tight fit, I wasn't joking. Unfortunately I did not get one quite as tight as the other and it's rubbing the lens on the inside. So if anyone plans to replicate make sure you over tighten the projectors. They have rubber inserts that will squish down and provide just enough clearance.

These projectors (and most I have seen) have actuators for high/low beam. So both bulbs are used at all times.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
Great mod! However I bet that Knobhead would have still backed up into our fellow rider Fanatic. Perhaps if we fitted a long spike on the front that would stopem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks awesome man! I'm trying to take my headlight unit out currently and am having a hard time. Is there a step by step anywhere that shows how to take the unit off the bike?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I thought that, with plain lenses, the reflector did the job of spreading and directing the light as required? I don't really know but that's what I thought anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I love the mod, where can j get the projectors? I've spent $$ on led but want a better focus... How do intake the light assembly out? #winterprojects

·
Registered
10 Posts
**** thats a good looking front.. I love the idea of the corner indicators.. I was going to get micro led from R&G but that looks sharp.. Great job on the work and pictures.. I get my HID kit thurs from TRS.. Any other ideas on how to paint the reflector housing? Im still unsure what i'll do to make it black.

·
Registered
6 Posts
bringing this back from the dead for some more info on the turn signal mod you did.

also, any issue running 70w of headlights at all times? (I assume you are running 35w ballasts?)

I bought a couple of these projectors ad HID kits a couple years ago for my tx450r and putting the front lens back on forces them to point at the ground too much so I couldnt use them, when I got this 300 I had hopes there would be room for them... they are still in the garage waiting to go into something, and now I think I've found a place for them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts