Honda CBR 300 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here, had the bike for over and year and might upgrade next year :devil:
For now it got hit in the parking and I need some help, I'll post on the proper forum.

·
Super Moderator
2,999 Posts
Welcome!... from what part of Canada?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Hello fellow Canadian... sorry to hear about the mishap. Im on the East Coast. Even though I no longer have a 300R... still pop in from time to time.

·
Registered
390 Posts
https://www.cbr250.net/forum/honda-cbr250-general-discussion/9011-i-thought-would-safe-park-motorcycle-dedicated-spot.html

https://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-service-maintenance/68619-knocked-over-while-parked.html

I linked you to 2 posts at the CBR250 forum of bikes that where also hit while parked. Here are tips on best practices when parking:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=motorcycle+parking

I personally like to park on the "front driveway" of whatever business I am visiting if at all possible. I rarely will park in a car's parking spot. I do this for reasons of avoiding theft/vandalism and also to save time or a long walk in the parking lot. Yes I am taking the risk of a parking ticket but I normally prefer that to finding my bike laying on its side when I come back out.

I met a guy at a Meetup who is a real bad-a$s on a Gixxer 750 and he sticks a phony license tag (an out of state plate from eBay) with magnets..... on top of his own (then parks illegally and never pays the meters) and he also has painted over the VIN # of his bike with black nail polish. Certainly I would not recommend such illegal behavior but some of these Gixxer guys are just psychotics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome!... from what part of Canada?
Thanks! I'm from Toronto.
Btw none of my messages are approved?

Hello fellow Canadian... sorry to hear about the mishap. Im on the East Coast. Even though I no longer have a 300R... still pop in from time to time.
What bike did you get instead?

https://www.cbr250.net/forum/honda-cbr250-general-discussion/9011-i-thought-would-safe-park-motorcycle-dedicated-spot.html

https://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-service-maintenance/68619-knocked-over-while-parked.html

I linked you to 2 posts at the CBR250 forum of bikes that where also hit while parked. Here are tips on best practices when parking:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=motorcycle+parking

I personally like to park on the "front driveway" of whatever business I am visiting if at all possible. I rarely will park in a car's parking spot. I do this for reasons of avoiding theft/vandalism and also to save time or a long walk in the parking lot. Yes I am taking the risk of a parking ticket but I normally prefer that to finding my bike laying on its side when I come back out.

I met a guy at a Meetup who is a real bad-a$s on a Gixxer 750 and he sticks a phony license tag (an out of state plate from eBay) with magnets..... on top of his own (then parks illegally and never pays the meters) and he also has painted over the VIN # of his bike with black nail polish. Certainly I would not recommend such illegal behavior but some of these Gixxer guys are just psychotics.
Thanks for the tips, especially the illegal ones :devil: . It was hit at work in an underground parking where construction is going on.
It's a bit hard to explain but I parked in the corner on the right side, on the left side it's a one way road going into private parking with a closed gate.
Ideally nobody should be going there and there are signs on the wall indicating that, and even if they do they can safely reverse as there's lots of space.
The guy who hit the bike was a sub contractor yapping with his girlfriend or wife and he hit the wall several times as well as the bike,
went around the parking lot and tried to go the same way again, then he hit the wall and bike a few more times.

I parked there because there's a camera on that spot, but now I just park at a regular spot under a camera.

The bike was repaired and my only concern is the rear shock, it either started making a whistling sound when decompressed or maybe it was always there,
either way the garage said they replaced it but it still makes that sound.

My question is; does your rear shock make a whistling sound when decompressed?
I can hear it when leaning the bike on the side stand and even more so if I press on the seat and let go quickly.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
saw a beautiful [expensive] red ducati on its side in the space between two cars up the road,, another example of the 'i didnt see her' response of drivers taking out motorcyclists, or, parked motorcycles..
this is another reality we must recognise and compensate for..
dont assume they will all see you [or your parked bike]..
assume some wont see you, wont even look, or their brains wont notice a bike when glancing with another car in mind..
dont look at parking spots like a driver might.. think motorcycle..

whenever possible park with other bikes/scoots, or anywhere cars cant or dont go.. too many variables this global problem, but consider for eg, parked tidily on footpath against a wall, in a corner, near small flower beds or other opportunities for protection/greater visibility..

i like lines of wheely bins often lined up along walls etc near exits or behind shops, restaurants etc.. just stop, move an end bin, park there, move bin back in front of you.. cars see lines of bins etc, avoiding them.. ask a restaurant if they mind you parking behind them, especially if a potential customer..
otherwise at hospitals etc there are often corner spaces in parks with only reverse in and out.. recognise these as bike parks..
sometimes theres low raised road furniture directing cars away from an end spot, which you can easily park on, with good visibility..
any wall, anywhere, is a potential bike park.. left side ] wall, leaning in to wall [stand down then dismount right side] thus flush to wall, taking up minimum space - not blocking pedestrians, prams etc..

bottom line is they knock over parked bikes worldwide, regularly,
so theres an inevitability factor.. think like a motorcyclist..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
saw a beautiful [expensive] red ducati on its side in the space between two cars up the road,, another example of the 'i didnt see her' response of drivers taking out motorcyclists, or, parked motorcycles..
this is another reality we must recognise and compensate for..
dont assume they will all see you [or your parked bike]..
assume some wont see you, wont even look, or their brains wont notice a bike when glancing with another car in mind..
dont look at parking spots like a driver might.. think motorcycle..

whenever possible park with other bikes/scoots, or anywhere cars cant or dont go.. too many variables this global problem, but consider for eg, parked tidily on footpath against a wall, in a corner, near small flower beds or other opportunities for protection/greater visibility..

i like lines of wheely bins often lined up along walls etc near exits or behind shops, restaurants etc.. just stop, move an end bin, park there, move bin back in front of you.. cars see lines of bins etc, avoiding them.. ask a restaurant if they mind you parking behind them, especially if a potential customer..
otherwise at hospitals etc there are often corner spaces in parks with only reverse in and out.. recognise these as bike parks..
sometimes theres low raised road furniture directing cars away from an end spot, which you can easily park on, with good visibility..
any wall, anywhere, is a potential bike park.. left side ] wall, leaning in to wall [stand down then dismount right side] thus flush to wall, taking up minimum space - not blocking pedestrians, prams etc..

bottom line is they knock over parked bikes worldwide, regularly,
so theres an inevitability factor.. think like a motorcyclist..
Honestly I try to avoid taking the bike to stores etc. just because for that reason, another good idea is to park in front of a camera.

It was hit at work in an underground parking where construction is going on.
It's a bit hard to explain but I parked in the corner on the right side, on the left side it's a one way road going into private parking with a closed gate.
Ideally nobody should be going there and there are signs on the wall indicating that, and even if they do they can safely reverse as there's lots of space.
The guy who hit the bike was a sub contractor yapping with his girlfriend or wife and he hit the wall several times as well as the bike,
went around the parking lot and tried to go the same way again, then he hit the wall and bike a few more times.

I parked there because there's a camera on that spot, but now I just park at a regular spot under a camera.

The bike was repaired and my only concern is the rear shock, it either started making a whistling sound when decompressed or maybe it was always there,
either way the garage said they replaced it but it still makes that sound.

My question is; does your rear shock make a whistling sound when decompressed?
I can hear it when leaning the bike on the side stand and even more so if I press on the seat and let go quickly.
Recording: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6no635lwg9ubw7v/shock.aac?dl=0

1 - 9 of 9 Posts