Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, new member to the forum who is thinking of purchasing a 300 F.
I am an old bloke who wants to return to riding after a lay off and I am after something light and nimble. Hired a R model overseas but need the F model for my old back LOL. :D

I have ridden for many years, prior to lay off, and have owned to many bikes previously to list. Got my learners in 1974! :serious:

Just wondering if anyone has gone down the road of modifying or replacing the rear shock and has any one done any internal fork mods to improve the front suspension?

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Welcome to the forum Spocket, I got my learners in '85 so only a decade of bikes between us.
You could do a lot worse than a 300f as your next stead. Like you said, easy on the body ergonomically.
Have a look on the cbr250.net forum site for tips on suspension upgrades as they have identical suspension those CBR250's and people have been mucking around with them since 2011.

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
295 Posts
Glad to have you here.
Were there any other bikes you were considering before deciding to go the route you did?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Light and nimble it is.

Good luck with your decision and modifying the F according to your needs. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome, got my mc license in 1973 & I just purchased a cb300f but I have had many bikes & currently have 3 with 2 being roadworthy

sold a single & wanted a single to replace it

just got through the break in period & changed the oil & filter, chain tension was fine, I'll still do the 600 mile first service

5' 9" & above you need a bigger bike

77.5mpg on the first tank of gas using 87, mpg not a major concern for be but that is an impressive stat, however I will experiment with 89 & 93, currently using 93

comfortable seat but the stock mirrors have to go for me, I am pretty much a bar end mirror person anyway, working on this mod but it is the only thing I am going to change for now

stock tires are so so but they are good enough for couple K miles, just get these tires heated up before doing much leaning

very neutral handling bike which is light & as such is an easy bike to ride,

low speed maneuvering 1st gear especially has a bit of a snatchy throttle but this is not unusual for an efi bike & is not a big deal to me anyway you just have to be prepared for it, & this may improve with some miles on the engine, 2nd gear is much better for low speed maneuvering if you can manage it

1st gear is low but not as bad as the Suzuki TU250X so the cb300f is an improvement in this respect at least for me

really liking the 6 gears but there is no shift counter, not a big deal to me as I never had one anyway, 50mph & 5.5 rpm is 6th gear on this bike

horn & turn signal switches are reversed but for some reason I am not having an issue with this, matter of fact I kind of like it because I use the turn signals much more than the horn anyway

some people complain the bike sits too upright with the kick stand down, idk maybe it is or maybe it isn't, anyway I have not had an issue with this subject at least yet & I have been paying attention when I park the bike

some don't like the foot pegs, idk I have no problem with the rubbers

I prefer the instrument cluster on the cb300f vs the cbr300r

won't go into 1st gear from neutral just double clutch it, same as just about any other bike I have owned over the years, or alternately downshift into first while still moving again same as any other bike I have ever owned

I do prefer the red seat cowl, hardly ever have a rider & I like the look

no fixed helmet lock, never used one anyway,

belly cowl vs no belly cowl, idk have to think some on this one, but I do like the looks of the bike with the belly cowl removed, belly cowl removed seems to give it more of the old school look & the difference will catch your eye

whatever you decide ride safe

·
Banned
777 Posts
Welcome, got my mc license in 1973 & I just purchased a cb300f but I have had many bikes & currently have 3 with 2 being roadworthy

sold a single & wanted a single to replace it

just got through the break in period & changed the oil & filter, chain tension was fine, I'll still do the 600 mile first service

5' 9" & above you need a bigger bike

77.5mpg on the first tank of gas using 87, mpg not a major concern for be but that is an impressive stat, however I will experiment with 89 & 93, currently using 93

comfortable seat but the stock mirrors have to go for me, I am pretty much a bar end mirror person anyway, working on this mod but it is the only thing I am going to change for now

stock tires are so so but they are good enough for couple K miles, just get these tires heated up before doing much leaning

very neutral handling bike which is light & as such is an easy bike to ride,

low speed maneuvering 1st gear especially has a bit of a snatchy throttle but this is not unusual for an efi bike & is not a big deal to me anyway you just have to be prepared for it, & this may improve with some miles on the engine, 2nd gear is much better for low speed maneuvering if you can manage it

1st gear is low but not as bad as the Suzuki TU250X so the cb300f is an improvement in this respect at least for me

really liking the 6 gears but there is no shift counter, not a big deal to me as I never had one anyway, 50mph & 5.5 rpm is 6th gear on this bike

horn & turn signal switches are reversed but for some reason I am not having an issue with this, matter of fact I kind of like it because I use the turn signals much more than the horn anyway

some people complain the bike sits too upright with the kick stand down, idk maybe it is or maybe it isn't, anyway I have not had an issue with this subject at least yet & I have been paying attention when I park the bike

some don't like the foot pegs, idk I have no problem with the rubbers

I prefer the instrument cluster on the cb300f vs the cbr300r

won't go into 1st gear from neutral just double clutch it, same as just about any other bike I have owned over the years, or alternately downshift into first while still moving again same as any other bike I have ever owned

I do prefer the red seat cowl, hardly ever have a rider & I like the look

no fixed helmet lock, never used one anyway,

belly cowl vs no belly cowl, idk have to think some on this one, but I do like the looks of the bike with the belly cowl removed, belly cowl removed seems to give it more of the old school look & the difference will catch your eye

whatever you decide ride safe
Can you specify why the CB300F is for people below 5'9"?

I sat on the 300f and was very comfortable!
Unlike the CB500F, or X, the gas tank can actually fit legs of 7' people with a 37" inseam (I have a 34 inseam, and have about a good 3 inches left from the top of the tank).

·
Registered
96 Posts
^^^ 5' 9" & above an example

I had to park the bike in the city the other day but don't do it often, I usually try to use this one parking garage as they have attendants

came to pick up the bike & guy rides the bike down, this guy is probably 6' tall goes about say 220#'s but I would say he is a medium frame guy,

now these attendants get to drive a lot of all kinds of vehicles every day including motorcycles & they do pay attention, anyway he absolutely overwhelmed the cb300f bike with his size,

he was cordial about it no snickers or anything, as a matter of fact he said that has to be the most neutral riding bike he has ever had the brief pleasure to ride, translation= not a high center of gravity easy to control etc

but it was not a bike that fit his frame

·
Registered
7 Posts
I see I am not the only one. I had a trail bike in 1972 and needed a license for national forests. The 300F is also good for my back and arms.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
another old bloke, also returned from an enforced break onto cbr250r
for 3 yrs [stolen] now new cbr300r replacement..

mate i couldnt be happier with this/these honda road bikes..

mainly surburban back roads etc, not much freeway,
but no problems when riding up the mountains etc,
and she destroys traffic etc..

first thought was 'wheres the kick starter',,
but 250 and 300 start first touch of the button, every time..
replaced 250 horn and will replace 300 horn
[plug and play fiaam under $20 fm amazon]
replaced 250 tyres after taking a weed screw,
for pirelli sport demons which are a bit better
generally, altho the irc are serviceable..

otherwise only added yoshi rearset brackets
[both bikes] for my ergos, nice light tight
carbon slip on the 250, and will look into
same for 300 muffler, which overheats
way beyond reasonable, or thinking of it
landing on me or a pillion [it will, burn]..

as kiwi said, check out cbr250r for extensive
feedback/input on suspension mods/upgrades
incl, diy breakdowns and other detains..
go to cbr250r forum and use search box..
:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts