Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, found you guys to be the only 300 forum out there so far so I thought Id join up and see what's happening in the world of motorcycles. Just got my licence about a month ago, and I'm taking lessons at the moment and I've already bought my first bike. Canadian 2015 CB300FA. Love the naked look of the bike. I was originally planning on getting an FZ-07 but I decided that it's probably too much power for a rookie like me.

I come from the car world, having owned mustangs (fox, 2013 3.7), mitsubishis (ralliart,de) , trucks, old cars and everything inbetween.

Currently driving a 2013 fusion 2.0.

:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome. You sound like a proper car guy. I think you'll find the grunt in the CBR to your liking. I actually came from GSX-R 750 to a CBR250R then to the 300 and find its plenty fast.

·
Registered
295 Posts
FZ-07 is indeed a big step up.
Good call on going for something much lower in the CC range.
Apparently they're coming out with a lower CC FZ, just in case that interests you.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Smart man.

I came from the car world as well, especially sports cars. Used to modify a bit and had a couple of high power vehicles, and then went through some other fun cars. After taking them to the road course / track, I found light weight and nimbleness to be a strength in itself. And I feel our 300 has a lot of resemblance to these characteristics I've started to prefer.

Welcome!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
so you already have traffic sense
and experiences flowing with other vehicles etc..

just as skills develop around clutch and throttle
of cars, so hand skills must be developed
for good control of the motorcycle..

the car will sit there or move slowly without
losing vertical alignment, whereas your bike
depends on your balance mechanisms for
its stability esp as speed drops..

slow riding, incl very slow riding, walking pace, is one excellent way top introduce your
brain to this level of control of a motorcycle..
also just starting off going for smoothness
in clutch release together with fine hand
control of throttle, just starting, slowing,
stopping, starting again, are excellent practice..

for cars as they say, any fool can put their foot down,, which isnt skillful driving..
same for motorcycles..

just sitting on her, shifting weight from side to side, moving forward and back under control
even just mounting one side then dismounting
the other, repeating, over and over, is excellent
basic motorcycle practice and learning..

most unforced side drops are by novices
in their first period of riding..
the basic control is so often neglected
of not considered part of 'riding'...

when you develop slow riding, go for slower
riding almost to stopping, feet on pegs..
do this approaching lights, for the rolling
start advantage.. make a skill of it..

braking is also vital [obviously] and is also
a new thing for brain and body, being mostly
thru right fingers to front brake..
practice squeezing it, gently..
even when up to stronger stopping practice..
still think of squeezing that lever, instead
of grabbing at it, which switches on muscles
of hand and forearm [etc] which are not
helpful in controlled braking or generally..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcomes and replies :)

My car habit is what you might call expensive, couldn't get a car without dropping an insane amount of money on mods. Got the bike now though and I'm super happy with it, don't know how easy it's going to be to convince the fiance that I need a slip on, especially when we're to be saving for our wedding next June. Maybe a little HID Retrofit will stave off the exhaust bug.

I have access to a huge underground parkade so I've been practicing my slow speed and braking down there using front and rear and combo of both, low speed turns and trying out my front and rear ABS to see how they behave. This is my first manual anything thats not a car. Only ridden automatic three wheelers and quads before. Not much of a learning curve here that I can find, :nerd:

Been doing slow speed starts just using the clutch and some slaloms through some imaginary cones. Left turns, right turns. Cant wait to get out onto the road!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I know what you mean!
Originally started out with a Civic, was never into bike and never cared for them, $20k later, the idea of getting a bike popped into my head and since getting on a bike my first few times, it really pushed me further away from cages (cars) and to bikes.

Sold my civic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hate even driving through NYC, I can't imagine riding in it. I don't think people in the other 49 states realize what consistent daily traffic really is until you come to NYC. It amazes me that in CA lane-splitting is legal and in NY or at least NYC it is not.

Reactions: mike

·
Registered
295 Posts
I hate even driving through NYC, I can't imagine riding in it. I don't think people in the other 49 states realize what consistent daily traffic really is until you come to NYC. It amazes me that in CA lane-splitting is legal and in NY or at least NYC it is not.
I know what you mean.
Having driven through it already, that for me was already too much.
Rather stick to other parts of new york state than the city.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts