Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There seems to be a little bit of difference of opinion on this topic....so I thought I'd ask here.
I just got a great deal on a Snell/DOC compliant helmet. The helmet is brand new...still in box etc. It was purchased from a clearout store. They have quite a few of them.
BUT....the build date is 2008.

It seems the general concensus is 5 years on a helmet. Different parts will start breaking down after this amount of time. Is any of this due to sweat....dirt....grime etc? Or is this time sensitive regardless of usage/non usage.
Is this helmet still wearable on rides....or should I roll my eyes, bite the bullet and toss it out?

I really don't wanna bin a brand new helmet, but am more than happy to toss it if it is unsafe.
Any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have had to throw away one helmet, when the foam liner started to actually fall apart, as though it was being digested by invisible bugs. I put it down to the humid climate here, which seems to be detrimental to some types of leather, faux leather and other synthetic materials.

The helmet was eleven years old at that point, but seemed to have maintained good condition in the ten years before we moved to Queensland, whereupon it lasted just another year.

It could therefore depend on climate, among other things. If the helmet hasn't been used, it hasn't been subjected to sweat, deodorant, cologne, hair products etc, which might mean it's OK. I wouldn't like to say for certain though.

>EDIT< I should add that I only kept that old helmet for so long because I loved it - a limited edition AGV. I wasn't actually using it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
JNO....thanks for taking the time to reply.
I have looked and the foam liner is in perfect shape. Everything in/on the helmet is flawless. It was brand new in the sealed box...with all wrapping,tags etc. The clearance store had a whole pallette full of them.
No signs of dampness etc on boxes or helmet.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
It appears the helmet has been stored in a dry environment so there should be minimal if any deterioration of the materials.
I would use that helmet myself.
When I go to the track our helmets are checked every meet before we are allowed to race. Anything older than 10 years is not allowed.

Reactions: shisoshin

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Avro... What you might try is contact the manufacture (call/email?) and give them the model/serial number/year produced and tell them your details on the helmet purchase and ask them if it is safe. Then you may have a documented answer that could be reassuring...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Avro... What you might try is contact the manufacture (call/email?) and give them the model/serial number/year produced and tell them your details on the helmet purchase and ask them if it is safe. Then you may have a documented answer that could be reassuring...
I doubt that they would explicitly state that one of their helmets was unsafe, but they will probably reiterate the 'recommendation' that you renew your helmet every x years. This is not just ass-covering on their part, they also want us to buy new helmets on a regular basis :D

·
Banned
777 Posts
The only helmets I've ever changed, or thrown away,
and they where $35 helmets, not $100+ helmets,
where when either the padding/fabric was getting so worn, it would leave traces in my hair,
or,
when so much dust had accumulated because I didn't like the helmet.

I keep my helmets in my storage space, where the temps range from the low 60's to the upper 90's, depending on season.
It's dry there, and not really humid (indoors).

Most of the helmets I've worn, all have lasted more than 5 years.
If it's in a store, in the box, the helmet could very well last more than 25 years.... They don't really go bad, unless they're exposed to humidity, or in the sun.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
according to the snell foundation
[notice your helmet is snell approved]
the '5 year' lifespan for helmets is based on
prudence, together with manufacturer
recommendations..

one basis being roughly 5 years improvements in
technology including materials technology..
ie, todays helmet could benefit from
using the latest materials..

while [according to snell] sweat, hair products, cosmetics,
cleaning fluids, paint [not approved by manufacturer]
etc, can influence potential liner lifespan, this is relative,
and in your situation of an unused helmet stored
away from uv light, this is not a factor for you..

2008 means 7 years, which is only 2yrs beyond
the 5 year 'prudent' guideline, for helmets in use..

if there are no signs of impact damage to the shell
or suchlike to its linings, its a snell approved helmet
still in its original box...

if thats all there is to it then
stop worrying mate...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to post. It seems the general consensus is the helmet is probably fine to use. I will wear the helmets (I actually got two of them).

Thanks again...all.

PS: They are THH brand full face helmets. They were $28.99 CDN each.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Pic????

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Nice! Great score! I would definitely wear them... (thumbs up)

·
Banned
777 Posts
Those cheaper DOT helmets sometimes can be a little heavier, but they're still A-ok for city and lower speed highway riding.
Not sure if they're ok for >80MPH riding though...

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have a helmet that was sitting in storage for 10 years in a hot, humid Florida storage shed. After riding with it on for 4 days the rubber gasket that goes around the visor peeled off. THe adhesive was yellow and it looked like "Contact Cement". But we know that Contact Cement falls apart in high heat. So I dont know why they chose that kind of glue on the helmet.

Anyways that was enough for me to "retire" the helmet and buy a new one. But that particular helmet only got about 3 years of actual road usage so it dies seem that the helmets do indeed "break down and degrade" if they sit in storage (especially not a climate controlled storage).

In my opinion I am not just going to junk a helmet after 5 years unless I see visible degradation

1 - 18 of 18 Posts