Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a pic of my helmet:

Boring isn't it, but a study I read showed that white helmets stand out 24% more to motorists than a dark colored helmet. For that reason I have been buying mono/solid white helmets for the last 18 years.
If a white helmet is going to reduce my risk of someone pulling out in front of me by a quarter then I'm prepared to buy one.
Something for folk new to the fold to think about esp if your in the helmet market.
Each to their own at the end of the day of course. :)

Reactions: King CobRa

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have the same lid ATM.

I've never factored in visibility when buying helmets, but since coming to Queensland I have bought white helmets in the belief they will be fractionally cooler, reflecting the sun a tad better. I tend to buy white cars for the same reason.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the cooler factor is an added bonus, not something us living in the South of NZ have to worry too much about!
Should probably invest in a heated helmet :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
you have to answer truthfully.....are you the real stig?

I have the carbon S700 shark helmet which had ok visibility but the helmet trim pretty much fell apart after the first time I washed it. Until then it was good, and the internal flick down visor was very handy.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
This is a pic of my helmet:

Boring isn't it, but a study I read showed that white helmets stand out 24% more to motorists than a dark colored helmet. For that reason I have been buying mono/solid white helmets for the last 18 years.
If a white helmet is going to reduce my risk of someone pulling out in front of me by a quarter then I'm prepared to buy one.
Something for folk new to the fold to think about esp if your in the helmet market.
Each to their own at the end of the day of course. :)
My skid lids have reflective silver stripes built in and show up with headlights in the dark. Apparently in France it is illegal to use a crash helmet without reflective strips on the back and sides. My Shark c/h (made in France) came with them and the instruction details confirmed this. Don't have to in the UK though.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I've got the same Shoei Qwest, but went with the Brilliant Yellow color...

Reactions: kiwi rider

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've got the full on white with blue visor Stig helmet for my automotive helmet, but my motorcycle helmet is a little more flashy. I'm what sports fans would call a "homer." I've got a HJC RPHA-10 Ben Spies replica.

Why? Because Dallas Texas. The red is more of a high-vis orange so it's not neon like Mike's, but I figure it's better than all black. The majority of my gear is white so I wanted something a little fun. I did just look at a few plain white Arai's and man are those things comfy! Maybe when it's time for an upgrade....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Saw those the other day in a Youtube ad. Have you done this to your helmet? It's an interesting concept but I don't know if I'd have the courage to glue it on.
Oh, no I have not done that to my helmet yet. I might do it to my old HJC that matches the bike. ill let you know. might be a while tho...

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I might consider picking up an Arai in their diamond white eventually.

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
I've got the same Shoei Qwest, but went with the Brilliant Yellow color...

Do you need sunglasses first thing in the morning? :)
Seriously I always check the Sharp Rating before buying a lid, safety comes first for me then choose size/colour etc.
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

·
Banned
1,070 Posts
Great link, I'll be using that info in the future.
My pleasure Doc, let's hope the Cowboys get it together for next season. BTW, don't forget to try the helmets you like in the shop to see what fits best.

Reactions: TheDocktor40

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
I see that they gave the Shoei Qwest a 5 star rating.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts