Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to get the fairings off of the cbr300r, even when following the maunual. When I was performing an oil change I had a hard time yanking at the fairing near the headlight/windshield area but there is a tab that won't release. Can someone do a tutorial or take a photo of the tabs on the upper larger fairing? I don't want to bend or break any plastic tabs.
I still managed to do my oil change. But I would like to know how to remove the fairings for next time

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
I had a hard time yanking at the fairing near the headlight/windshield area but there is a tab that won't release. Can someone do a tutorial or take a photo of the tabs on the upper larger fairing?
Yes the manual is a bit hard to follow. I'm guessing you might have missed either of these two fasteners that Ive taken pics of:

The first one is a plastic 'push in the middle to release' type clip that is a bit hidden in the well in front of the fuel tank. I missed this one the first time.

The second is the stainless steel allen head screw underneath the headlight.

There are also two other clips between these two that hold in the top edge of the fairing. These are what I refer to as 'confidence clips'. Because there is nothing to unscrew etc you just have to have the confidence to pull the fairing hard to pop them off. Of course, you have to have taken out those other two clips/screws that I mentioned above first!

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
282 Posts
A fellow member Hannah has a quicker method of fairing removal if you would like to look. Ha Ha!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Confidence clips" is what is stopping me, I can release the one further back towards the seat but there seems to be another further towards the headlight area.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi
You don't need to remove fairings for oil change, just undo all lower fastenings and it will flex out enough to remove filter and cover. Use a 1/4 inch socket and ratchet, easy.

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
"Confidence clips" is what is stopping me, I can release the one further back towards the seat but there seems to be another further towards the headlight area.
It's in your hands then - literally! ;)

Mark65 is on the money, you can sneak in there with small tools if you just remove all the lower screws and flex the middle cowling out. This is how I do it these days.

·
Registered
282 Posts
It's in your hands then - literally! ;)

Mark65 is on the money, you can sneak in there with small tools if you just remove all the lower screws and flex the middle cowling out. This is how I do it these days.
You can't beat sneaking in with a small tool then doing some flexing.:devil:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Once you learn how to take off the lower right cowl fairing for oil changes, it will literally only take you 2 minutes the next time you do it. It's just learning where the couple hidden hex screws are that will get you the first time

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
You can't beat sneaking in with a small tool then doing some flexing.:devil:
Are you speaking from experience autopilot? Only large size tools in my kit! :laugh: ;)

·
Registered
414 Posts

Having the same issue. I'm stuck around the headlight.
All screws and pins are removed.

Should I be pulling forward on it?:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
Having the same issue. I'm stuck around the headlight.
All screws and pins are removed.

Should I be pulling forward on it?:eek:
Ive only taken that part off once, so memory a bit vague but yeah I do remember twisting the whole fairing so it slid forward or something like that.
Sorry I cant be more precise. Someone else may know.
Try holding your tongue differently! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,491 Posts
That's because there's not much reason to take the top piece of fairing off as you don't need to remove it fully to change the oil filter.
I only took mine off once to remove my radiator fan.
What are you wanting to do?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Old thread, but hopefully of use to someone -

Around the headlight is a danger area, I got the right side off ok, but snapped a clip on the bike getting the left side fairing off.

Hopefully these pics of the right side removal help someone avoid breaking clips - essentially, first of all heed kiwi's pointers to the bolts you may have missed, then note the direction to pull/twist in - grab the fender from the bottom and pull the bottom out and up, this method will get the clips along the top edge (i.e. separate the black plastic from painted section) , apart from that the bit to be wary of is the headlight, where the fairing needs to move forward towards the front of the bike to escape the clips by the headlight. see pics

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have the same problem. Tried to remove both middle cowls (just to learn how to do it) and stuck in the headlight section too. Tried to push the fairing forward but scared to put too much pressure. Sounds a bit stupid that so many people have the same issues. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Hi
You don't need to remove fairings for oil change, just undo all lower fastenings and it will flex out enough to remove filter and cover. Use a 1/4 inch socket and ratchet, easy.
But doing that... doesn't it make a heck of a mess in the belly pan and perhaps take a chance cracking the belly pan?? I tried to remove the whole belly pan on my 300 R to investigate a oil change in the future but no way could I get that sucker off. I even went across the street to my dealer and asked a mechanic,,,but he had never removed one......

·
Registered
66 Posts
I did an oil and filter change yesterday.
You only need to remove the lower right fairing. There are (if I remember correctly) two hex screws along the bottom. You will also need to remove the screw (cross head) joining the two lower fairings - this is just back from the front right underneath. There is also a push clip on the top - roughly opposite the screw just mentioned. No amount of tugging at this stage will get the fairing off - there is another hex screw tucked in behind the top fairing near the radiator. That one is a bugger to get out. Once all the screws are off, wriggle the top out from under the top fairing, and then wriggle the front bottom to separate it from the other half.
Done.

If it weren't for the lack of any metal particles in my old oil and filter, I would swear my stealership had not actually changed the oil or filter at all for the first service. It was fairly dark. The sump plug was jammed on so tight the crush washer had crushed onto the plug. Took a good deal of plier manipulation to get it off, and the new one slipped on easy with plenty of slack. The washer was probably not changed last service either, and they just over tightened to re-seal. The little rubber gasket on the filter itself was also partly pushed within the filter.
Won't be going back to the stealership for service.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I removed mine today prior before I went to the shop for an oil change and took some pics. Hope the pics talk for themselves. There are 3 hex screws, the upper right and the lower left, are flat heads, the lower right is different, to keep the fairing aligned. You need a allen key with a ball-head for the upper right one, because it's a bit behind the other fairing, then you should be able to remove it easy without undoing the bigger part of the fairing.
Underneath is another screw, with has to be undone, and the two parts are clipped together. I use something out of the kitchen to carefully undo that, works well for me. Alltogether, less than 5 min.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts