Honda CBR 300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I had my cbr300r parked on some grass at my house. I had something solid under the stand so it was stable. But we have just had some massive winds and my bike got blown over. I have got it up and parked in a shed now but I am not sure how long it was over for. When I stood it up there was a fuel smell and a small amount of fluid dripping down. There doesn't appear to be any damage. Has this happened to anybody else? Do I need to be worried? It started fine and seems ok, just not sure what the fluid was, it didn't seem like fuel.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Sorry to hear. I'm very grateful it hasn't happened to me (knock on wood). May want to get it inspected for safe measures?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi all. I had my cbr300r parked on some grass at my house. I had something solid under the stand so it was stable. But we have just had some massive winds and my bike got blown over. I have got it up and parked in a shed now but I am not sure how long it was over for. When I stood it up there was a fuel smell and a small amount of fluid dripping down. There doesn't appear to be any damage. Has this happened to anybody else? Do I need to be worried? It started fine and seems ok, just not sure what the fluid was, it didn't seem like fuel.

Thanks for the help
I dropped mine & did not see any fuel leak...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
at first glance, its most likely that it will be ok..

if it fell onto grass its unlikely there will be physical damage
such as bent clutch/brake levers or gear lever/foot brake..
check these out tho, just to be sure..
compare down side hand lever with the good side, etc..

sit on her and closely compare handlebars both sides,
using the good side to compare with..
unlikely to be bent,, but check to be sure..

check your oil window to be sure theres plenty
of oil in there, which there should be anyway..
on an even surface, see that oil reaches
or almost reaches the top level line..

[depending on vertical angle, how straight up and down
it is, will determine where oil comes ti in sight window]

its unlikely that wind would blow her over if parked well,
with a good lean angle over the side stand, but you never know..

its not just preventing the sidestand from sinking down,
but getting a good enough lean over onto the sidestand..
[eg, even on a fairly small slope it will make a difference
if you park her one way, or the other..
when parking always go for this angle..
while that angle might be too much, such as parked
on a slope with stand on the downward side,
or not enough if parked on a slope with stand on
the uphill side, ie, too vertical..

on a slightly sloping area, one side will be better,
and sometimes parking at an angle, across the slope,
results in more stable park than square to the slope [etc]

as a general rule tho, dont park on unstable surfaces..
including hot tar, uneven surfaces, grass or dirt..

there are overflow tubes which could allow some oil
to escape, or even perhaps effect the air filter,
but this is unlikely to cause any real damage..

just give her a good wash and clean,
tell her shes a good girl, and that
it wont happen again..

show your support by taking her out
for a nice long ride somethere..

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Also check your radiator water level in the reservoir. Refer to your owners manual if unsure how.

·
Banned
777 Posts
if it is fuel, it might have gone from the carburetor bowl to the air intake, or perhaps even the gas tank overfow.

Clean it up, try to locate the leak while doing it, and carefully start the bike not sitting on it, just in case there is a leak...
Carefully visually inspect it while it's idling.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
if it is fuel, it might have gone from the carburetor bowl to the air intake, or perhaps even the gas tank overfow...
There's no carb bowl on these bikes... they are fuel injected.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Mine slightly slipped I had some control I just couldn't hold or lift it up in that position. I picked it up, not a scratch but it didn't start. Guess I activated the bas switch. After turning everything off , taking the key out, neutral all that..it started right up. No fuel smells tho, just a happy face that I didn't even get a tiny scratch on my week old bike! Lol

·
Registered
447 Posts
Curious which direction it fell towards? It has been noted the CB300 bikes are too upright when on the kickstand so they would tend to fall away from the kickstand to the right, but it sounds like yours fell toward the kickstand. My cb300f is too upright. If it fell it would almost surely be away from the kickstand so I try to find a place where the road is lower on the left than the right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Crashed my CB300F

Yes, I did: three weeks into the new bike I went wide in a turn, ran into a gravel trap, and dropped the bike (to the left while trying to get back on the road) going 15-20mph. Helmet and gear were amazingly scraped up--considering that this was a low-speed crash--but no major damage to rider. The bike needed a new bottom shift lever and new plastic and had some damage to the bar end, but there was no fuel or other leak even though it lay on its side for several minutes while I picked myself up and uttered a few choice words. Just lucky, I guess.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yes, I did: three weeks into the new bike I went wide in a turn, ran into a gravel trap, and dropped the bike (to the left while trying to get back on the road) going 15-20mph. Helmet and gear were amazingly scraped up--considering that this was a low-speed crash--but no major damage to rider. The bike needed a new bottom shift lever and new plastic and had some damage to the bar end, but there was no fuel or other leak even though it lay on its side for several minutes while I picked myself up and uttered a few choice words. Just lucky, I guess.
So the bike slipped on the puddle of gravel as you were taking the turn?

That sucks... Glad you got back up with very limited harm to yourself.

Btw, what were the specific choice of words again? :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, what happened was that I was at a stop sign on a road coming out of the Santa Cruz Mountains, waiting for a break in traffic to turn onto HWY 1 going south. Took off in a wide left turn to give a fellow rider on my left room to turn at the same time. As a result went off the road bed and was on the gravel, parallel to the road. When I tried to get back on the road, the front tire got trapped by the 1.5 inch-high edge of the road and the bike went down. (I think that's called an edge trap.)

As for the choice words: they finally made it into into Websters Dictionary--something for which all of us concerned with using appropriate language must be grateful. In my case they were immediately followed by the immortal words spoken by Nicholas Cage in "Ghostrider" after he crashes his bike spectacularly: "How's the bike?"

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
No, what happened was that I was at a stop sign on a road coming out of the Santa Cruz Mountains, waiting for a break in traffic to turn onto HWY 1 going south. Took off in a wide left turn to give a fellow rider on my left room to turn at the same time. As a result went off the road bed and was on the gravel, parallel to the road. When I tried to get back on the road, the front tire got trapped by the 1.5 inch-high edge of the road and the bike went down. (I think that's called an edge trap.)

As for the choice words: they finally made it into into Websters Dictionary--something for which all of us concerned with using appropriate language must be grateful. In my case they were immediately followed by the immortal words spoken by Nicholas Cage in "Ghostrider" after he crashes his bike spectacularly: "How's the bike?"
I see. Gotta' dislike those "edge traps".

At least you had Mr. Cage's Ghostrider spirit by your side (and Webster's support as well). :laugh:

·
Registered
22 Posts
my bike fell over on the kickstand side. i have no idea how it happened.
i noticed a fuel dripping out of a hose when it was laying on its side, but as soon as i stood it back up the dripping of fuel stopped. you should be fine.
brought my bike to its first service and they couldn't even tell the bike was dropped.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
mine had a semi drop parking at night maneuvering back to her
large gum tree, to which she is chained with a massive chain
[after cbr250r stolen] between my sons cb400r and his spare
pizza scoot.. anyway, couldnt step out [downhill] enough
to take her weight [scoot blocking] so had to ease her
down as much as i could with a narrow stance..

bent the gear lever in a touch, still usable, with zero
other damage.. footpegs took the weight after lever
and not enough momentum to 'roll' further..

restarted, but she failed to start first touch,
so switched off, checked kill switch, tried again
and she started on the second turn..
i apologised, told her shes 'a good girl'
and she went into a contented low idle..

theyre designed to be side dropped..
ie, not as their role in life, rather for the fact that
this must be the fate of some or many of them..
with 'normal' unrestricted drop weight/impact taken
by footpets, then combo of pillion pegs and bar ends
and/or ball on lever ends.. [cbr250r exhaust shield
would take some of the impact that side]

gear lever can be straightened easily [hammer]
clutch/brake levers reshaped cold by hand...
obviously engineers have taken into account
impact absorption in design and layout of
footpegs and so on, resulting in no fairing
panel or other damage from a side drop..

this is like one of those things that doent get on
statistics lists, like weight, seat height, hp etc,
and yet go to make a well designed
reliable road motorcycle...

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I pushed my repsol 250R off the side stand first wkd I had it. I was fitting my beloved 15T front sprocket at the time and swung on the wrench too hard, pushing the bike away from me. All I could do was watch it fall on to the concrete.
Was impressed with the crash impact resistance of the CBR tho, got away with light scratching on muffler, bar end & pegs. I was expecting indicators etc to be broken.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Apart from one moderately exciting incident involving a country road, a dog, some gravel, a 'wall of death' ride up a steep grass verge and a couple of cracked ribs (two weeks of telling people, "Please! Don't make me laugh!"), my two-wheel topples have all been at walking pace, trying to paddle some ridiculously heavy monster around a parking space or trying to execute a tight u-turn. The worst one actually didn't involve any crunching, because I managed to save it, but that one left me with a torn groin muscle (I was turning around in front of approx 50 other bikers - no way was I going to suffer the humiliation of falling off at 3mph).

And so here is another great advantage to small, lightweight bikes. Not only are you less likely to perform ungainly, slow-motion crashes in car parks but, even when you do, you don't need to be Arnie Schwarznegger to pick the **** thing up afterwards.

My GSX1100F seemed particularly fond of flopping over when maneuvering, and I have the slipped disk to prove it.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Yes I remember wrecking my back picking up a fully loaded up GPZ900R I had dropped on the footpath in Melbourne once in front of lots of passer-bys. No one offered to help... :(

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yes I remember wrecking my back picking up a fully loaded up GPZ900R I had dropped on the footpath in Melbourne once in front of lots of passer-bys. No one offered to help... :(
Questionable heart of some humans... :crying:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts